Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Alden MTO Forum Group Buy

Discussion in 'Preorders, Group Made-to-order, trunk shows, and o' started by kgmessier, Jun 6, 2011.

1. oboy_oboy

oboy_oboy Senior member

This"

Plus this..

Equals this. I like this direction very much. Would even love some version of this in cap-toe, but not sure that works w/ the mixed media idea.

I would vote towards Leydon/Barrie vs. Plaza/Grant. I agree that the Barrie seems to work better for boots than shoes, but I like how Leydon just makes it leaner. Plaza is great, but I'd love this boot to have the more rounded toe.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012

2. JPFNY5

JPFNY5 Senior member

This is the saddle I was thinking about. Just different colorways...

[​IMG]

3. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

I would have zero interest in that. Maybe you could get in on a LS preorder.

4. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

Nice, but I'm definitely more interested in the oxford, and I don't know if they do that with the NST. I've only ever seen bluchers. Intriguing to consider what that would look like, though.

5. abam

abam Senior member

I just placed an deposit for the JGilbert color 4/black saddle balmoral, so I wouldn't be in for this suggestion, but how about doing a saddle blucher? It would be similar to this: [​IMG]

Except, we could switch things up with scotch/pebble grain parts and maybe some eyelets (I'm growing to like eyelets to break up scotch/pebble grain on the saddles). Another makeup that i'd be interested in would be a cigar wingtip or atom blucher.

6. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

This J Gilbert order and the #8/tan Leffot makeup are what got me thinking about what I'd like in a oxford saddle shoe. Asked Leffot about a restock of their version, and they put my name on file in case they do reorder.

Have to admit that the black/#4 combo doesn't do it for me, so I was out of luck for the easiest course of action with J. Gilbert. But I'm really stuck on the oxford style, so maybe we can get enough interest together here for the oxford version with some combination of shell etc,, or I'll just keep my eye out for a nice version elsewhere.

I agree with you about the brass/agatine eyelets. They look particularly good on a shoe like this.

7. commodorewheeler

commodorewheeler Senior member

That is a bummer about the Scotch grain shell, it would have been really unique.

Does Scotch grain Chromexcel exist? I would definitely be interested in a Scotch grain/smooth mixed media wingtip boot if it could be done in brown Chromexcel.

8. darnold

darnold Senior member

I don't understand why Alden would draw this sort of distinction. This would make a beautiful boot. If Alden objects to a characteristic or two of the makeup, they're just going to reject it or modify it themselves anyway, right? (For instance, if they thought it ought to be on double leather rather than commando.)

I mean... we all have the internet. No one is fooled. http://www.tassels.com.hk/en/made_to_order_details.php?id=44. I wonder if I dropped the $200 MTO fee whether they would let me buy one...

9. mr chorizo

mr chorizo Senior member

Hey Mike,
    I'm glad you like it! Quick question about the pattern on the shortwing boot....do you think we could do it with more than 3 pieces? I know the shortwing brogue blucher has an extra piece for the heel counter...

I think it would be nice to have more than one point of contrast....so let's see if we can do it!

10. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

Too bad about the scotch grain shell, I wouldn't be opposed to doing eiether another shell (Ravello Tanker would be bad ass, as would Cigar, or even #4 if they have enough for a make up) or even a scotch grain calf skin.

11. ThomSquared

ThomSquared Senior member

My dear god a Ravello or Cigar Tanker would be insane.

12. CTYGGG

CTYGGG Senior member

How about a #8 LHS with the antique edgetrim like Mac wears? Maybe a #8 PTB with the antique edgetrim? Last one…a #8 six eyelet chukka with a flat welt & close heel with the antique edgetrim. Just some ideas would love to see another MTO come to fruition as Mike is willing to work with us. Epaulet rocks!

13. scb

scb Senior member

is #4 even a possibility?

#4 longwing?

14. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

It's really easy to sand down your sole edge and then restain it whatever color you want.

15. mr chorizo

mr chorizo Senior member

Super simple idea, natural cxl lhs done with a single leather sole