Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Alden MTO Forum Group Buy

Discussion in 'Preorders, Group Made-to-order, trunk shows, and o' started by kgmessier, Jun 6, 2011.

1. scb

scb Senior member

I really don't see what's nonsensical about it. It makes good business sense. If a majority of their business comes from people actually buying shoes in the store, then it is in their best interest to keep these customers happy.

2. mr chorizo

mr chorizo Senior member

I think you are right...on that, but maybe they'd find a way to piece it? for example, the shortwing brogue has an extra piece for the heel counter...see below.

http://suitored.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/sf2.jpg

3. mr chorizo

mr chorizo Senior member

agreed. indy boot on leydon last...get it a little sleeker but without the soft square of the plaza

4. mr chorizo

mr chorizo Senior member

5. commodorewheeler

commodorewheeler Senior member

I've never seen a heel counter on an Alden boot before, I'd imagine it would represent a design change that would add significant cost to the boot. It might be better to just have area 2 smooth, and to have the rest of the boot scotch grain textured.

BTW, what last were you thinking of for this mixed media boot? Personally, I'm not a fan of the sleeker lasts on boots, I think they go better with shoes, so maybe Grant or Barrie? Should we just do this mixed media on Epaulet's Brixton boot?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012

6. CHRK33

CHRK33 Senior member

To my understanding, it was expected over the holidays, but Alden is taking forever with special shell colors, as we all know, so I think it could be another month or so, if not more. No real way to tell.

7. lagsun

lagsun Senior member

+1. Gents, were losing focus with the LS bashing. Their business model works for them and there are plenty of other places to get your Alden fix. BTW, they announce their preorders for a $100 deposit.

I'm in for the #8 Scotch grain tanker boot. All the features mentioned are good for me and I'm fine with Barrie or Grant.

8. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

Sounds like everyone's getting something going here with this #8 scotch grain boot, but I thought I'd throw a shoe idea out there: Cigar shell oxford saddle. Cigar for vamp and heel, not sure what would be best for the saddle itself. Maybe another shell color... whiskey? Or tan calf or something? Or maybe even blue.

What about a Cigar and navy blue shell saddle? Now that's a shoe you won't see anywhere else.

Seems like they always do the saddle on the Barrie, which looks good in photos to me, but perhaps some other last would change it up nicely: Aberdeen, Hampton, Leydon, Grant? Doesn't seem like a Plaza style to me.

Anyway, just a thought. Return to your boot planning.

9. JPFNY5

JPFNY5 Senior member

I would like this as well but how about on the NST saddle!

10. Epaulet

Epaulet Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Hey guys, got some bad news on the Color 8 Scotch Grain - Alden says that they don't have it available to work with. They apparently haven't offered it in years - at least to US accounts.

That said, I LOVE the idea of a mixed media wingtip boot. Would you guys consider doing a mixture of regular scotch grain and suede or calf? We could put that together quickly and most likely get the boots in the late Fall.

11. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

I'd be up for this shoe 100%.

I think either a Cigar saddle and heel, with Whiskey everything else, or something with shell saddle/heel and suede everything else. I'd be up for any last besides the Barrie. The Hampton would be nice. J Gilbert has a Plaza lasted saddle shoe and I think it looks nice in pictures.

12. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

Do you mean an NST on a bal saddle? If so, then I would pass.

13. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

That NST idea is interesting, JPFNY5, but I've really got an oxford in mind. It's something I don't have.

And, Joe, you are right about the Plaza saddle from J Gilbert: [​IMG]

Looks nice.

My suggestion is for Cigar shell where the snuff suede is in the above photo and then something else, perhaps navy blue or dark green shell where the navy suede is above.

Navy Blue Shell from Leffot's site: [​IMG]
    Dark Green Shell from Rancourt's Site: [​IMG]

I don't have any Cigar in my collection, which is why I'd like it to be the main material. Open to other thoughts on the saddle material and color.

The flex welt above looks great, but maybe really close it up at the heel like this example from Leffot:

[​IMG]

And maybe even a lighter, antique edge trim instead of the brown.

And in fact, it looks like AoC did something in the very colors of Cigar and Navy Blue a while back (2007 according the AAAC thread):
    [​IMG]
    So really that in the brogued oxford style of the other Alden saddle photos.

Start PMing me names and we'll get Mike or Steven or somebody to put the order in. :D

14. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

^^ I think Ravello shell on the saddle and heel with blue suede everywhere else would be great. I'm like you though, in that Cigar is the only Alden shell color (besides #4) that I don't own.

I like the idea of shell on the saddle/heel and suede for the remainder. I'm really up for anything though, so long as it's not on the Barrie last.

15. CHRK33

CHRK33 Senior member

Mike, you shattered my dream. HA. I guess I will have to live. :embar:

How about a mixed media wingtip boot using this color pallette?

[​IMG]