1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Alden MTO Forum Group Buy

Discussion in 'Preorders, Group Made-to-order, trunk shows, and o' started by kgmessier, Jun 6, 2011.

1. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

Man o Man kgmessier, you have opened Pandora's box here! Getting people to agree on this is going to be interesting to watch!
    Do I have my preferences? Sure, but to make this happen I think everyone needs to understand (as you added to your original post) that we gotta' have a consensus or it won't work.
    Perhaps we gauge initial interest and comments then put up a poll to narrow it down to two boots? This could work provided we have enough interest in two different styles. Let me know via PM if I can help.

Thanks

yes

I won't be in on this, but my outsiders perspectives is:

give 2 very specific choices, let people vote

pick 1

if you leave it open to suggestions you'll never get anywhere, there are far too many variables (color, last, stitching options, lacing options), right there are thousands of permutations that people will bring up

2. kgmessier

kgmessier Senior member

Man o Man kgmessier, you have opened Pandora's box here! Getting people to agree on this is going to be interesting to watch!
    Do I have my preferences? Sure, but to make this happen I think everyone needs to understand (as you added to your original post) that we gotta' have a consensus or it won't work.
    Perhaps we gauge initial interest and comments then put up a poll to narrow it down to two boots? This could work provided we have enough interest in two different styles. Let me know via PM if I can help.

Thanks

+1, I totally agree...I am not wedded to the suggestions I made; I just wanted to generate some interest in some combos we don't often see. Indy on Plaza (or even Barrie), Tanker on Grant, some more commando soles which aren't used nearly enough, so on and so forth. With all these rare shells in the mix and how beautiful they are, I think we will able to find ready consensus. Or so I delusionally hope. [​IMG]

yes

I won't be in on this, but my outsiders perspectives is:

give 2 very specific choices, let people vote

pick 1

if you leave it open to suggestions you'll never get anywhere, there are far too many variables (color, last, stitching options, lacing options), right there are thousands of permutations that people will bring up

Yup, I understand your concerns and have thought about that already. My idea is to leave things somewhat open for a couple days to see how the general designs and various feature requests shake out. After that, I'll change the OP so it lists only two or three styles with the most popular features. I figure these will be the final fixed designs. Based on those, people can opt in/out, and by next week we should have one or two makeups that have garnered enough interest to warrant some actual production.

Sound reasonable?

- Keith

3. sazon

sazon Senior member

Yup, I understand your concerns and have thought about that already. My idea is to leave things somewhat open for a couple days to see how the general designs and various feature requests shake out. After that, I'll change the OP so it lists only two or three styles with the most popular features. I figure these will be the final fixed designs. Based on those, people can opt in/out, and by next week we should have one or two makeups that have garnered enough interest to warrant some actual production.

Sound reasonable?

- Keith

Sounds good, but I think we need to be somewhat realistic...We know that Leffot has already done that Ravello boot (and it sold quite well as-is) and Kathy already expressed interest in a Whiskey Indy w/commando. If we stray too far and get too creative they may shy away.

just my 2 pence

4. PorterInjax

PorterInjax Senior member

Yup, I understand your concerns and have thought about that already. My idea is to leave things somewhat open for a couple days to see how the general designs and various feature requests shake out. After that, I'll change the OP so it lists only two or three styles with the most popular features. I figure these will be the final fixed designs. Based on those, people can opt in/out, and by next week we should have one or two makeups that have garnered enough interest to warrant some actual production. Sound reasonable? - Keith
    Sounds very reasonable Keith. I would like to politely suggest that Tom at LS has first crack at this to see if he is interested and or able to do this for us. I know that he put together a SF special makeup on a #8 wingtip in January of this year and he is a contributor and sponsor for this site. Seems like you have this well in hand though. Thanks for taking the lead Tracy

5. kgmessier

kgmessier Senior member

Sounds good, but I think we need to be somewhat realistic...We know that Leffot has already done that Ravello boot (and it sold quite well as-is) and Kathy already expressed interest in a Whiskey Indy w/commando. If we stray too far and get too creative they may shy away.

just my 2 pence

Seems likely that the Ravello cap toe and whiskey Indy will be two of the final makeups"ā€¯perhaps the only two. I doubt the final makeups will be much (if at all) different from what folks had in mind when the conversation started in the first place.

Sounds very reasonable Keith. I would like to politely suggest that Tom at LS has first crack at this to see if he is interested and or able to do this for us. I know that he put together a SF special makeup on a #8 wingtip in January of this year and he is a contributor and sponsor for this site.
    Seems like you have this well in hand though. Thanks for taking the lead

Tracy

Sounds cool to me for the reasons you stated.

6. CHRK33

CHRK33 Senior member

I have always found Tom at LS super helpful and passionate about Aldens. The one caveat is that Tom is really loathe to allow his non-best customers (i.e. 5 - 6 pairs minimum a year, his words) to get in on preorder for special make-ups in the whiskey, ravello, or cigar shells. So I don't know how open he would be doing something like this for us. That exclusivity has always bothered me, but I understand the business rationale for it -- just a little annoying in my mind.

7. rkusmant

rkusmant Senior member

Keith, I think we should keep our words to Kathy and Steven. People have reached out and They have 'agreed' to the proposed the design and demand. We should come up with another design to go with Tom.

8. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

I have always found Tom at LS super helpful and passionate about Aldens. The one caveat is that Tom is really loathe to allow his non-best customers (i.e. 5 - 6 pairs minimum a year, his words) to get in on preorder for special make-ups in the whiskey, ravello, or cigar shells. So I don't know how open he would be doing something like this for us. That exclusivity has always bothered me, but I understand the business rationale for it -- just a little annoying in my mind.
    I agree with you but I cant blame them for using that logic. What I am irritated about it that they are located in California. I recently purchased a pair of shoes and was dinged $60 for taxes (I live in CA). [​IMG]

9. PorterInjax

PorterInjax Senior member

Guess that explains it. I've only bought four pair from them in the past year! Although I did get some tasty coffee candy in the box containing a pair shipped from Hawaii. [​IMG]

10. banis

banis Senior member

I would order both Whiskey Indy Boot (Barrie or Trubalance, commando or double waterlock sole) and Ravello Boot (Barrie or Trubalance on double waterloc sole).

11. SLAB

SLAB Senior member

interest here in the ravello cap toe boot (punched cap toe might even look better?) I would jump on the cigar cap toe also if it was on the Barrie last.

anyhow, i'd probably have to use a proxy because most of those retailers will not mark down the value of the packages/sign as gift. It will become rather unaffordable for me if I have to pay an additional 25% taxes...

12. kgmessier

kgmessier Senior member

Keith, I think we should keep our words to Kathy and Steven. People have reached out and They have 'agreed' to the proposed the design and demand. We should come up with another design to go with Tom.
    Agreed. Seems reasonable to go with Kathy for the whiskey Indy, Steve for the Ravello cap toe, and Tom for a potential third design

13. sazon

sazon Senior member

14. CHRK33

CHRK33 Senior member

A consensus is evolving. I like it. By the way, for the Whiskey Indy, although my preference would be plaza, I would still be in for Barrie. Anything but Trubalance. [​IMG] Maybe our 3rd option if there is one would be something in Cigar? We have some good options bandied about, wingtip boot, tanker, etc...

15. kgmessier

kgmessier Senior member

Maybe our 3rd option if there is one would be something in Cigar? We have some good options bandied about, wingtip boot, tanker, etc...

That's one possibility, although I think it would be nice to have a non-shell option for those who can't or don't want to pony up the dough for the premium leather. Also, from what others have said, it sounds like Tom may be reticent to put together a shoe in whiskey, Ravello or cigar for anyone other than the regulars.

16. CHRK33

CHRK33 Senior member

That's one possibility, although I think it would be nice to have a non-shell option for those who can't or don't want to pony up the dough for the premium leather. Also, from what others have said, it sounds like Tom may be reticent to put together a shoe in whiskey, Ravello or cigar for anyone other than the regulars.
    Totally understandable. That makes a lot of sense (and I was the one who mentioned Tom might be loathe to do a special cordovan makeup [​IMG]). I have not seen something like this but maybe natual chromexcel wingtip boot in plaza with commando sole?

17. Kevk

Kevk Well-Known Member

I'm down for the Whiskey Indy's. Truebalance, commando sole, with or without speedhooks. I'd also prefer machine stitching but don't think it's going to happen.

18. rkusmant

rkusmant Senior member

What if we do Jumper boots with natural/burgundy chromexcel, commando sole? Sweet alternative to whiskey/color 8.

19. Renton

Renton Senior member

Does anyone have interest in some suede boots?

Also, count me out on any plaza last boots due to my wide foot.

20. Aquaphor

Aquaphor Senior member

I'll be interested in the cigar tanker - Barrie last, commando sole, 360 or 270 degree flat welt, all eyelets, flat waxed laces (grey?)