• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alden MTO Boot Group Order via Alden DC

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I assume there must be pictures floating around of #4 but I cant seem to track them down immediately; isn't #4 quite red in color?

tumblr_m3s8fdDXbV1qb0bszo1_500.jpg

edubs01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Submitted....thx for pulling all of this together!

thebeebs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I submitted via Google Docs as well. Thanks for all the legwork (or bootwork) on this.

I'm still confused as to why virtually everyone wants the "all eyelets" option. Isn't it a colossal pain ********** to lace up 9 holes each morning? Especially in a situation where you're not wearing the boots with hemmed trousers, it would seem to me that speed hooks are much more efficient. If the goal is to wear with suite, I get it, but that would also imply that you'd opt against the commando sole.

Please enlighten me :)

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I submitted via Google Docs as well.  Thanks for all the legwork (or bootwork) on this.

I'm still confused as to why virtually everyone wants the "all eyelets" option.  Isn't it a colossal pain ********** to lace up 9 holes each morning?  Especially in a situation where you're not wearing the boots with hemmed trousers, it would seem to me that speed hooks are much more efficient.  If the goal is to wear with suite, I get it, but that would also imply that you'd opt against the commando sole.

I find Alden speedhooks cheap and aesthetically unappealing. I think they also make the shoe less versatile, meaning you (or at least I) would NEVER wear the boot unless I was in jeans or chinos. The inconvenience of having to take 15 seconds to lace them in the morning is far less than having them sitting in a box under your bed (where I keep mine) Monday through Friday because you want to save 30 seconds it would take to have a boot you can wear all the time. Its not 9 holes you'd be lacing, just the top three, exactly what I do for my hockey skates.

I don't think the commando makes it totally unwearable with flannel trousers. Wouldn't wear commando with a suit, but its low profile enough not to be a deal breaker for me though I prefer a double leather or waterlock.

Last edited:

0waterbouys

Reaction score
I agree. Alden speed hooks seem poorly attached in my experience. They always seem loose and in one instance I have even had some pop off and tear a small portion of the cordovan with it. I'd gladly take the extra time lacing than have that happen again.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I submitted via Google Docs as well.  Thanks for all the legwork (or bootwork) on this.

I'm still confused as to why virtually everyone wants the "all eyelets" option.  Isn't it a colossal pain ********** to lace up 9 holes each morning?  Especially in a situation where you're not wearing the boots with hemmed trousers, it would seem to me that speed hooks are much more efficient.  If the goal is to wear with suite, I get it, but that would also imply that you'd opt against the commando sole.

I find Alden speedhooks cheap and aesthetically unappealing. I think they also make the shoe less versatile, meaning you (or at least I) would NEVER wear the boot unless I was in jeans or chinos. The inconvenience of having to take 15 seconds to lace them in the morning is far less than having them sitting in a box under your bed (where I keep mine) Monday through Friday because you want to save 30 seconds it would take to have a boot you can wear all the time. Its not 9 holes you'd be lacing, just the top three, exactly what I do for my hockey skates.
I don't think the commando makes it totally unwearable with flannel trousers. Wouldn't wear commando with a suit, but its low profile enough not to be a deal breaker for me though I prefer a double leather or waterlock.

+1, and all eyelets just look better all around

david3558

Reaction score
Along with the points everyone brought up, I find that the eyelets give me way more flexibility in how I want to lace the boots up - I can loosen up the top if it gets too tight and not worry about the damn laces coming off the speedhooks. Admittedly it's kinda annoying but definitely worth the extra half minute or whatever.

thebeebs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ thanks for the comments everyone. i have a little dilemma: i ordered ravello wingtip boots on shoemart, and they have speed hooks and double leather soles. based on what i've heard, it sounds like i'd be better suited w/ all eyelets and double waterlock/commando soles. i know i can swap out my soles, but not sure what to do about the laces, esp since i want ability to wear with these boots with suits. but ravello is so damn hard to find....i know, i know, there are bigger problems in this world, but would love some guidance....

trig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you can get speedhooks replaced with eyelets from b. nelson..

"Can I have speed hooks converted to eyelets?
B Nelson will do it for $12 per eyelet (not per pair). A standard Alden boot with 4 pairs of speed hooks would therefore run $96. The top four eyelets would be off-centered with the bottom five, which is often done to compensate for the oblong size of the speed hooks."

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

^ thanks for the comments everyone.  i have a little dilemma: i ordered ravello wingtip boots on shoemart, and they have speed hooks and double leather soles.  based on what i've heard, it sounds like i'd be better suited w/ all eyelets and double waterlock/commando soles.  i know i can swap out my soles, but not sure what to do about the laces, esp since i want ability to wear with these boots with suits.  but ravello is so damn hard to find....i know, i know, there are bigger problems in this world, but would love some guidance....

I'd go by the bird-in-the-hand philosophy and keep them, but then I don't mind speed hooks.
Seems like if you're willing to wear a commando sole wing tip boot with a suit, speed hooks shouldn't be a deal killer.

Remember there was a Cigar/Whiskey/Ravello shell shortage in 2008 too.
http://www.styleforum.net/t/54922/alden-price-increase
I don't think it was until mid/late 2009 when it started becoming more available.

Oh, and my personal opinion is that replacing speed hooks with eyelets looks like ass.

Last edited:

Odd I/O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Where are you located?

Edit: I just got off the phone with Alden DC to check your query (and others who are outside the states) and they said it would most likely be a non-issue to ship internationally. 

You might want to double check this. The Alden MTO's we have with Epaulet and Leffot were restricted from being shipped internationally (US and Canada only) which we found out about after the pre-orders were initiated. I was under the impression that this was a recent new policy from Alden. Both Epaulet and Leffot ship plenty of other stuff internationally so it doesn't make sense for it to be a store policy that they both coincidentally implemented simultaneously. They are both located in New York though... :paranoia::tinfoil: Context Clothing doesn't seem to mention this restriction on their Alden page as well. So, interesting.

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
okay, ill kick off with a proposal to do the following makeup
- cigar shell boot
- antique edges
- perforated cap toe
- barrie or leydon last
- speedhooks
- commando soles or double leather
- 360 or closed heel (I havent figured out myself yet
in the end it would look rather similar to this one

10r95w7 by SLAB13, on Flickr
This has been my holy grail ever since I laid eyes on it. Count me in if this comes to fruition.

Edit: The exact one in the picture, not the one described in the post with speed hooks or closed heel. Might as well just buy the the cigar captoe DC sells as its not to dissimilar from what you are describing minus the perf toe and last.

Last edited:

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually spoke to Kathy a few weeks ago about doing a:
Cigar
plain toe boot
on the barrie last
w/ antique edgetrim
and all eyelets
...and she seemed very open to the idea.
That would be my preference. Maybe on a double waterlock or commando sole.
Also, just to add, possibly whiskey instead of cigar would be nice. Never seen a whiskey plain toe boot, and Kathy did do the whiskey indy last go-around. So maybe she can come by some whiskey again.
Remember how nice these Leather Soul make-ups were?
Frans Boone is taking preorders on a Plain Toe Cigar Boot currently, as mentioned in the official Alden thread.

Also, Someone mentioned #4 LHS, which I'd be down for as well. Also Mahogany, if there is even such a thing anymore?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads