• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alden MTO Boot Group Order via Alden DC

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have no problem putting my deposit down. I have to do it for every pair I get with my E width

maverick

Reaction score
Definitely interested in this. From following the thread it looks like there is one captoe barrie boot that is going to be ordered? I might be interested in that but want to confirm the details - already have the JCrew boot which seems similar.
Anything else in the works? Would be really interested in something like the Leffot Daytripper (but with no hooks).

scb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how wide does the barrie go? EE or EEE?

kippy

Reaction score
I once ordered and received a 9EEE on the barrie last. It was a failed experiment, but I can confirm the Barrie last goes very wide.

kippy

Reaction score
Hi Folks, 17 responses so far. No additional votes since 6am Eastern. Should we close the polls and have CTYGGG place a call to Kathy at Alden DC? I am OK with configuration that the voting has put together. It's basically Thor's boot with the oiled sole swapped for the double leather.

kippy
gracian
Jpc9
Bakes11771
velomane
Mr.K
Chrk33
Sellran
calidist0
waterbouys
CTYGGG
theinsider
Mr. Six
Edmond_evo6
SLAB
cold war painter
natesjuice

Barrie Last 82%
Split Reverse Welt 59% (storm 18% and flat at 24%)
Matched Agatine 71% (Blind 12%, Agatine 18%)
Antique Edgetrim 100%
Pulltabs - 47% yes, 53% no
Double Oiled Lock Sole - 76% (commando 24%)
360 degree Heel - 71%
All eyelets, no speedhooks - 76%

kippy

Reaction score
...to answer some of the comments/questions on the Thor boot poll from the various members:

Q1. I am not sure if any one mentioned it, but I hope the heel will be the standard leather and dovetail of rubber.
A1: Not sure if this is an option on the oiled sole. Does anyone know if there is a standard heel type that is paired with the oiled sole?

Q2: Exactly as it appears in the photo. Not terribly concerned about welt or sole. Of particular importance to me is the minimal stitching on the side. I don't like how some alden boots have horizontal stitching lines across the side of the upper.
A2: I think you are referring to the Indie boots. There is an Indie model without the toe stitching but they have that horizontal stiching across the side of the upper. This is for a standard perforated captoe boot and I am fairly certain it will not have that stitching.

Q3: In if they can be shipped overseas. Otherwise, I'm out if luck.
A3: Don't know the answer to this one. I would imagine it depends on the retailer. We'll need to cross that bridge when we get to it. Anyone else can help on this?

Q4: Several options I'm indifferent to. I don't think I'll be interested if the majority favors a commando sole and speedhooks.
A4: The block has voted and it looks like no commando sole and no speedhooks.

CTYGGG

Reaction score

Hi Folks, 17 responses so far. No additional votes since 6am Eastern. Should we close the polls and have CTYGGG place a call to Kathy at Alden DC? I am OK with configuration that the voting has put together. It's basically Thor's boot with the oiled sole swapped for the double leather.

kippy
gracian
Jpc9
Bakes11771
velomane
Mr.K
Chrk33
Sellran
calidist0
waterbouys
CTYGGG
theinsider
Mr. Six
Edmond_evo6
SLAB
cold war painter
natesjuice
Barrie Last 82%
Split Reverse Welt 59% (storm 18% and flat at 24%)
Matched Agatine 71% (Blind 12%, Agatine 18%)
Antique Edgetrim 100%
Pulltabs - 47% yes, 53% no
Double Oiled Lock Sole - 76% (commando 24%)
360 degree Heel - 71%
All eyelets, no speedhooks - 76%

Owaterbouys said that he a was a no go on the "Thor" boot as he's moving. That vote really should be struck if he's not in on the boot & that would give us 16. Do you want me to wait until the end of the week to contact Kathy or are we good to go?

Edit-

On second thought we need to see who's still interested in the final make-up of the "Thor" boot. Who's in & who's out before we proceed to Alden DC?

Last edited:

calidist

Reaction score
I think a number of folks, including myself, want to know about the deposit and estimated makeup time prior to putting any money down.

kippy

Reaction score

Owaterbouys said that he a was a no go on the "Thor" boot as he's moving. That vote really should be struck if he's not in on the boot & that would give us 16. Do you want me to wait until the end of the week to contact Kathy or are we good to go?
Edit-
On second thought we need to see who's still interested in the final make-up of the "Thor" boot. Who's in & who's out before we proceed to Alden DC?

If I push out Owaterbouys vote, we still end up at the same boot, so I think this is the final makeup. Yes, I agree we should give everyone who voted for the particulars of the boot the choice to include themselves in the final makeup. Could all who voted confirm they are onboard with the Thor boot below by providing their ID at the following form? I also think we could open it up to others who did not vote in the first round but are willing to go with the configuration as voted on:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dGVOWmp3eExCWGdFanFTajZVZXpmemc6MQ#gid=0

Cigar
Perforated Cap Toe
Barrie Last
360 degree Split-Reverse Welt
Antique Edge Trim
Double Oiled Waterlock Sole
Matched Agatine Eyelets
All Eyelets - No speedhooks

Next step is for CTYGGG to try and convince Alden DC to request the makeup with Alden. Between the barrie last and the oiled soles, I think it is a nice unique makeup. I will publish the list of StyleForum users who are adding themselves to the order.

kippy

Reaction score

I think a number of folks, including myself, want to know about the deposit and estimated makeup time prior to putting any money down.

This would be difficult to know until we can get one of the retailers to accept the order. It's hard to know the makeup time, but I would guesstimate at last 8-12 months.

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A2: I think you are referring to the Indie boots. There is an Indie model without the toe stitching but they have that horizontal stiching across the side of the upper. This is for a standard perforated captoe boot and I am fairly certain it will not have that stitching.
That was me that asked about the horizontal stitching. Thought I may have seen it on some plain to boots as well. Regardless, glad that ours won't have it. I'm pleased with the way this has turned out and have my fingers crossed that it will materialize.

Last edited:

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Something to keep in mind is that those estimates are sometimes not a good indication of how long it will actually take. I've observed instances when they arrive earlier or later than expected. However, I understand that you are looking for some general idea. Like if they come back and say 3 years, I can see how that would deter some folks.

0waterbouys

Reaction score
Edit-

Kathy isnt expected to be in until thursday so you'll have to wait until then to bring the order to her. Seeing as how you are approaching her with the thor boot do you want to bring up the first makeup we did as well? Float the #4 with her and see if it is an option? I was going to do so myself but it makes more sense to consolidate our orders.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads