• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alden MTO Boot Group Order via Alden DC

CTYGGG

Reaction score

This looks fantastic to me. Are you suggesting this is on the Barrie last? I had assumed Trubalance but perhaps someone can confirm?

Per Thor's post #13869 in the Alden thread…Barrie last.

kippy

Reaction score

Per Thor's post #13869 in the Alden thread…Barrie last.

Thank you for clarifying. OK, so I guess I would be fine with the same boot on Barrie or Trubalance ultimately. I can go either way on welt or last.

sellran

Reaction score
Thank you for clarifying. OK, so I guess I would be fine with the same boot on Barrie or Trubalance ultimately. I can go either way on welt or last.

I prefer Barrie (because I finally know what fits me perfectly and trubalance is still a mystery to me...l know the standard sizes 9.5d and 10d don't work, not sure if I'm a 9.5e).

That all said, how do we start approaching retailers with this? I mentioned it to Ed at theshoemart several months ago (i sent him the picture of the boot we've been looking at here) and he showed no interest. But I could try again. I know Steven at leffot, but because I'm not a big purchaser I don't think he'd take me seriously. And the Alden stores all make a cigar cap toe (non perforated) and don't seem to want to do something so close to that. So what's our strategy?

edubs01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Closerlook is a tool.

Just ignore his comments.

kippy

Reaction score

I prefer Barrie (because I finally know what fits me perfectly and trubalance is still a mystery to me...l know the standard sizes 9.5d and 10d don't work, not sure if I'm a 9.5e).
That all said, how do we start approaching retailers with this? I mentioned it to Ed at theshoemart several months ago (i sent him the picture of the boot we've been looking at here) and he showed no interest. But I could try again. I know Steven at leffot, but because I'm not a big purchaser I don't think he'd take me seriously. And the Alden stores all make a cigar cap toe (non perforated) and don't seem to want to do something so close to that. So what's our strategy?

Well, I guess the next step is to put the finer details of the makeup to a vote on a form and gather all the names of those who are interested? I keep seeing new names popup that are interested in the Thor boot so I would guess we have a voting block of >8.

CTYGGG

Reaction score

Well, I guess the next step is to put the finer details of the makeup to a vote on a form and gather all the names of those who are interested? I keep seeing new names popup that are interested in the Thor boot so I would guess we have a voting block of >8.

Kippy it looks like you are on point for the "Thor" boot.

You'll need a poll for the following types of details:

Last

Welt (I'd like to throw flat welt into the mix)

Eyelet

Edgetrim…I'm assuming antique, so it may not be necessary.

Pull tabs

Sole

Heel

If we can come to a consensus on the boot I could always help you with Kathy @ Alden DC if you need it. Whiskey Indy from the previous MTO with Kathy was done in about 11 months.

0waterbouys

Reaction score
I would be in on the Thor boot as well. Joe at Alden DC has already told me that it would take some convincing to get a cap toe boot made up since they already have a few in stock, and that was when I was pushing for #4 as the shell. I really doubt they would do one in Cigar knowing that. So as far as bringing it somewhere else we will probably have to find a suitor that isn't an Alden only store (SF, DC, NY). I dont think the guys at Epaulet would do it seeing as they have stuff on back order with Alden as is and are currently in the works of doing MTO's with Carmina though we could still ask of course. Leffot may be a good option.

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't tried on anything in Barrie or TB. So no preference as of yet. Sounds like the two welts in discussion are pretty similar in appearance, except for the 1 vs 2 rows of stitching. Not sure I have a strong preference there either.

There is a very small Alden retailer in the small city that I live in (NYC transplant). Real nice fellow. I know he's done 2 exclusive make-ups of his own in the past. I could run it by him, but being that he's so small, I don't know how interested he'd be.

I can see where DC would be reluctant to do another cigar boot, but IMO this is quite different from their offering. Only similarity is that it's a cigar boot, but we'll have to see what their position is.

I was also wondering if they would even be able to do a #4 boot. I know the OP said it seemed like a possibility when he spoke with Kathy, but the part I don't understand is that if they can't make ravello, how can they make #4 which is the next most similar color?

Edit: Regardless, I dont think either sole or welt would be a deal-breaker for me.

Last edited:

0waterbouys

Reaction score
For the #4 boot it is going to be completely dependant on Kathy's willingness to do it, Aldens willingness to do it, and our willingness to wait. I have no figures to go on yet so it'll have to wait until sometime later this week to get a hard answer from Kathy, and then Alden.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is that "thor" boot on triple leather soles?

I'm not in the market as I have the Alden DC captoe, but cigar captoes in general look great, I recommend them

SLAB

Reaction score
strong vote for barrie last; I own the Jumper boots on trubalance last and honestly think this 'thor' boot will look best with barrie last

kippy

Reaction score

Kippy it looks like you are on point for the "Thor" boot.
You'll need a poll for the following types of details:
Last
Welt (I'd like to throw flat welt into the mix)
Eyelet
Edgetrim…I'm assuming antique, so it may not be necessary.
Pull tabs
Sole
Heel
If we can come to a consensus on the boot I could always help you with Kathy @ Alden DC if you need it. Whiskey Indy from the previous MTO with Kathy was done in about 11 months.

OK Folks, here is the voting form for the Thor boot. CTYGG, it would be great for you to take point with Kathy @ Alden DC on the config once it has been finalized.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dDNzX2doTjBnb3FMeThvS2F5dDI2ZHc6MA#gid=0

I will keep the form open for responses for the next week and provide a summary of results back to the group.

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I cast my ballot. Willing to front the full amount for a pair and wait 2 years if it doesn't deviate too significantly from the original design. Still have to get my sizing figured out, but will be home in NY next week and plan on making a pilgrimage to madison. Hopefully they will let me try on a few pairs to ascertain fit.

If this is made, it will probably be the most rugged looking Alden boot ever made. I could really kick some ass all over the place in a pair of these!

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just put my vote in. I hoe Kathy will help us out. I think one shell boot will be a good addition to my collection.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics