Alden MTO Boot Group Order via Alden DC

Discussion in 'Preorders, Group Made-to-order, trunk shows, and o' started by 0waterbouys, Jun 12, 2012.

1. kippy

kippy Senior member

It seems we have enough for an order? I count 6+ interested in this boot. How many do we need in the group to put an order through with Kathy? I think everyone can work out the minor details pretty easily. Sounds like we just need to negotiate welt (storm vs. reverse storm) and sole (double leather vs. oiled leather) and we have a voting block.

2. gracian

gracian Senior member

+1000 for the cigar boot makeup. Would vote for storm welt and oiled leather sole.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  3. Mr.K

Mr.K Senior member

I would be in for an oiled sole and a storm welt to give it a more rugged look

4. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

Can someone explain the difference b/w storm and reverse and double and oiled sole?

5. Man with Apple

Man with Apple Senior member

Where was all this cigar love on the first page? Glad you finally showed up though. I also prefer cigar, and Kathy did tell me she would consider doing a cigar plain toe boot.

For consideration though, what if we requested ravello instead of cigar? Ravello lately has been more brown than red and I think would look great, and if we did it on the barrie it would look more rugged than the grant lasted Leffot Day tripper version.

6. SLAB

SLAB Senior member

gorgeous!

7. kippy

kippy Senior member

This is probably a good thing to discuss to make sure we are all on the same page. I think we are all clear on the oiled soil vs. double leather. The oiled sole is soaked in oil, has a darker appearance. It has the purported advantage of having better traction in the bad weather and I have heard it is more comfortable.

Regarding welts:
    1. Split Reverse welt has two visible rows of stitching. The edge of the welt sticks up where it meets the sides of the upper. I believe Thor's boot has the Split reverse welt.
    2. Storm welt has one row of stitching and a smaller leather edge where the welt meets the upper. If you look closely, it has a beaded edge to it.Think of the storm welt as a less conspicuous split-reverse welt as far as Alden goes. You commonly see these on Indy boots.

8. kippy

kippy Senior member

I would be ok with Ravello as well, but I would not vote for the Barrie. I like this as a Trubalance last. Basically Thor's boot would be just dandy.

9. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Ravello has been taken off the market according to the Alden thread. Immense scarcity of decent hides + insane wait times = no go...

10. kippy

kippy Senior member

OK then that helps narrow down the choices nicely. How about this:

Cigar
    Trubalance Last
    Double Oiled Soles
    Perforated Cap Toes
    Antique Edge Trim
    Storm Welt
    All eyelets
    Flat wax laces

BTW - I think if you replace the storm welt with the reverse split welt it makes for an even more rugged platform for the boot.

11. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

I was pushing for cigar because I was hoping for a color similar to the Epaulet Brixton. Ravello does seem darker recently, but not quite that dark. I know that Kathy said that they wouldn't do a cap toe cigar because they already have one, but I at least think the punched cap toe is different.

I'd prefer Barrie to Truebalance but could live with the latter. I could also do Grant or Plaza so that it would be a bit dressier, although then one of the less rugged looking welts would probably be a better fit.

12. Mr.K

Mr.K Senior member

u

That sounds perfect. I would go for that in cigar. Hopefully it could be done in under two years

13. closerlook

closerlook Senior member

cap toe on the trubalance would not look good

14. kippy

kippy Senior member

This looks fantastic to me. Are you suggesting this is on the Barrie last? I had assumed Trubalance but perhaps someone can confirm?

[​IMG]

15. Mr.K

Mr.K Senior member

Leather souls jumper is on the trubalance and looks fine with a captoe