1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Alden Modified Last: If You Wear, or are Interested, Please Read

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Roguls, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Roguls

Roguls Senior member

Well it's about damn time. Now they need to be able to order rare shell colors.

2. wdahab

wdahab Senior member

Stopped by Moulded Shoe and picked up a pair of the 54321, color #8 v-tips. I always love that shop, but they have said that Alden has decided they can have shell cordovan modified last again, and they are going to definitely be getting more models in. Of course, I wouldn't hold my breath for any rare shell any time soon, but we can hope.

3. Mike147

Mike147 Senior member

Question is will you be able to get some of the Styles that Anatomica makes at Moulded... U Tip and NST would be a hit in Black, Color #8 and others. Looks like they are expecting some Long Wings in Black Shell and a few other models to include the V-Tip and Cap-Toe plus some more boots.. Love these guys so I hope they sell a ton of shoes and stay in business forever even though I'm no longer a regular customer.. I just save up for more Maftei shoes

How much were your V-Tips in #8?

4. wdahab

wdahab Senior member

$745 total (billed out of state)

5. Mike147

Mike147 Senior member

I guess that's about right... Seems that most Alden shops are charging over $700 for Shell shoes and up to high 700s for Shell boots. I think that's a hell of a lot of money for what you're getting but with the price seems in range with other retailers for sure.

6. wdahab

wdahab Senior member

Well, that really comes down to a question of whether you like shell cordovan shoes or not. $700-800 is the standard price for any of the first-world shell shoe makers. (Carmina/C&J are a bit cheaper in their home currency, but I think that's partly because they bought their shells before the Euro/Pound devalued so much. When they have to restock at current exchange rates they'll be going up a bunch, I think).

7. Mike147

Mike147 Senior member

Spend the extra money and try a pair of Vass. I think they're much better constructed shoes and you can get a variety of shell and much bigger selection of styles than Alden.

8. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Do any of the Vass shoes fit like the Modified last? Banana, maybe? P2?

9. bdschneid

bdschneid New Member

hi - i purchased the alden modified boots below from Anatomica in Paris - size 8E (mine have speed hooks, but aside from that the same). I've lost some weight and now the boots are too wide on me. So i'm looking to sell my slightly used pair of boots that cost me roughly 900 EURO (happy to send pictures). They arent perfect but in very good condition - havent worn them more than 10-15x. if interested please send me an email. thanks. if interested in more i actually have a few other 8es in modified and barrie that also feel too large on me- but these are the only modifieds i have in cordovan and least used.

[​IMG]

10. Roguls

Roguls Senior member

Banana and P2 are approximations. Neither has the arch support the ML has, though.

11. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

:( the arch support is a big plus. I should take a look again, though. The trick is being able to try them on.

12. Mike147

Mike147 Senior member

If they are actually willing to make adjustments to the last, they could also make adjustments to the footbed, which could allow for more arch support.

Would really need to be able to try them on

13. sansimeon

sansimeon Senior member

Went by Moulded yesterday and was told there's no more shell coming in. Nothing in my size available :(

14. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

No more, forever?

15. Sudonihm

Sudonihm Senior member

No exotic shell, for now at least. It looks like Black and Color 8 are still available on the Modified last. But it sure doesn't seem like a priority for Alden.

16. wdahab

wdahab Senior member

I stopped by there on Saturday and chatted with them a bunch. They definitely have *plenty* of color 8 and black shell coming in. While they might not have someone's size in stock right now, they have several models on the way and several that they just got in a couple weeks ago, including some boots and black modified LWBs. However, Raphael said that when they asked about exotic shells, they weren't just told "no" they were told "hell no, no way."

I have a pair of the modified #8 LWBs reserved in my size when they get them sometime between tomorrow and a year from now. But the order was confirmed by Alden, so it's coming. :)

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017