1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Alden Modified Last: If You Wear, or are Interested, Please Read

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Roguls, Mar 31, 2011.

1. sleepyinsanfran

sleepyinsanfran Senior member

^^ lovely pics. thanks for sharing!
    I wish the shoemart would stock some shell boots on the modified last (they have calf/cxl boots at the moment though)

2. luzer

luzer Senior member

i got some shell boots, shoes if you are interested

9.5 shell color 8 modified boot
    [​IMG]
    8.5 CDI cigar shell penny
    [​IMG]
    8.5 shell color 8 modified split toe

PM me if you want them

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  3. Mike147

Mike147 Senior member

What size do you wear? You should be able to obtain the few basic styles rather easily and will have to wait on the custom make-ups.

How much does Anatomica charge these days for Calf and for Shell? Just can't see paying more than current US retail equivalent for Alden - Low $700s is really the ceiling for hard to get custom make--up boots and shoes in shell. IMO, it would have to be something very special for you to drop that much cash on Alden.

Haven't bought a new pair of ML for a while - just carefully maintaining the ones I have that fit well a buying new Maftei bespoke shoes out of Vienna. Last I checked calf shoes at Moulded were running around $550 + tax. I have a few pairs of ML that are a too big on me that I would part with - 9.5 EEE.. The other ones that fit well will be worn and resoled until the leather wears out.

4. philosophe

philosophe Senior member

Moulded Shoe usually has a decent inventory of basic styles in the modified last.

5. FENWAY

FENWAY Senior member

Looking to unload your Modified size 11? Hit SEND PM
    [​IMG]
    My color 8 CTs need some company

2 people like this.
  6. 100 yrs

100 yrs Senior member

Does anyone have advice for for getting a VAT refund from phone/online orders from Anatomica (I'm in the U.S.)? I bought two pairs from them in person a few years ago and got the refund by filling out the paperwork at the airport before leaving the continent. I'm in the process of placing and order via email and not sure how to go about VAT refund this time around.

7. stant62

stant62 Senior member

I remember Charlie mentioning that they deduct the VAT on phone orders. I'm sure they can walk you through the process.

8. Mike147

Mike147 Senior member

I think they should be able to handle this for you. For phone orders that are to be shipped outside of France/EU, you should really just be charged the ex-VAT price.

9. 100 yrs

100 yrs Senior member

psa the moulded shoe instagram shows that they have a limited run of some #8 medalian cap toes on modified available.

1 person likes this.
  10. Mike147

Mike147 Senior member

How much are they charging? Bet somewhere between $675-725 is my bet.

11. 100 yrs

100 yrs Senior member

Got the cap toes from anatomica and while they were absolutely beautiful, I had to sell them on the bay due to fit issues. They fit about a half size wider than modified lasted shoes that I own in the same size, and almost even seemed like they were made on a different last than those shoes. There was some subtle differences in the shape and I wish I had taken a pic before shipping them out. honestly it's left a bad taste in my mouth regarding Alden and the modified last and I should have just returned them, but I wishfully thought I could make them work as it's such a unique makeup. Wanted to give others a word of caution when getting modified lasted shoes vs. boots. The two pair of modified lasted shoes I own are two of my best fitting pairs, and my feet were swimming in the boots.

12. Mike147

Mike147 Senior member

Sorry to hear about this - Hope you got good money for them on ebay. I've had similar issues where same size ML have fit differently on different styles. Have a pair of Shell #8 shoes sitting in my closet because of the same issue and some calf as well.

I would recommend you take a look at something bespoke or try-on in person before you buy. Moulded shoe sells a good # of boots and if you're ever in NY you can try on.

13. BootBuild

BootBuild New Member

Hey, I've got some Plain Toe boots, US 7.5, black, for sale. Listing is here since I can't recall how to make a signature.

14. zzdocxx

zzdocxx Member

15. Mike147

Mike147 Senior member

I still have my ML Shell #8 PCT Shoes in 9.5 EEE - In excellent shape and you'll never see them again outside of Japan or Anatomica :D

Or you can just go AH bespoke and get whatever you want...

16. baromatic

baromatic Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Recon someone was interested in comparing the Modified last and 379x.
    I think it shows the differences in shape quite well.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
    3 people like this.
  17. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Senior member

I refuse to believe that any man in real life has the grapefruit-sized heel the Barrie is built to accommodate.

1 person likes this.
  18. baromatic

baromatic Well-Known Member

Well Alden does offer different heel sizes... But I get what you mean ~

19. Mike147

Mike147 Senior member

But can you actually have a combination heel size custom made by Alden on the Barrie? Answer is certainly no. They do very little in the way of customization for clients these days...

20. McBear

McBear Active Member

I sometimes feel that my "square" feet makes me to choose too wide shoes to get necessary width across the toes.
    Is there anyone out there who takes an E width in Barrie and Truebalance but a D width in the Modified last?