Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Alden Modified Last: If You Wear, or are Interested, Please Read

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Roguls, Mar 31, 2011.

1. jiomitori

jiomitori Senior member

Any updates on this? Did you send anything to Alden yet?

2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

This reminds me, I was just in Paris and I came across an incredible shop. I can't remember the name right now, but I will post it later, I have a card. Anyway, it was in le marais and they had an entire collection of Alden Shell modified lasted shoes in three different widths. A lot of flat welts, shortwings, cap toes, and split toe Norwegians. Most of their shoes had different stitching patterns and were either unlined, or lined with canvass. The owner of the shop even had mirror shined all of them. They looked very bespoke. I was very impressed and talked to him for a long time. Apparently Alden is doing it special for only this store.

I know that chart with all of the lasts that surfaced recently had the modified last as being one of the widest. I was sort of blown away by this because I thought that these were the sleekest Aldens I have ever seen. I think it was more due to the tight waist. I was telling him how I have never owned an American shoe before because I am not into the blobbiness, but the waist on these gave them an entirely different look. Perhaps the ones that I was looking at were narrower lasts as well, I don't recall.

I will post an update with the name of the shop, or if anybody else has any information on it please post.

3. password

password New Member

The store was likely Anatomica. Alas, he only goes to E (which I understand from Moulded Shoe is NYC is also true for all Modified boots now).

Please add me to the list for Modified shell.

4. patrickBOOTH

The store was likely Anatomica. Alas, he only goes to E (which I understand from Moulded Shoe is NYC is also true for all Modified boots now).

Please add me to the list for Modified shell.

Yes, I believe that was the name of the store. http://anatomica.fr/alden.html

5. well-kept

well-kept Senior member

Whatever the sculpted waist does to the look, what it does to the fit and feel is incomparable.

6. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

I really want a pair of Modified shoes. Lets keep this going. [​IMG]

7. patrickBOOTH

Whatever the sculpted waist does to the look, what it does to the fit and feel is incomparable.

This is why I like G&G.

8. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

^ me too -
    The latest Shoemart irreg list had a color 8 shell boot on the Modified last, in 10D, I think.

9. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

Yes, I believe that was the name of the store. http://anatomica.fr/alden.html

nice I am in Paris soon, will definitely check it out, though I assume price is going to be the "wtf" range...

10. patrickBOOTH

nice I am in Paris soon, will definitely check it out, though I assume price is going to be the "wtf" range...

I would say they were priced ok for Europe, but with the American dollar tanking it definitely pushes up the cost about 50% or so, but then again they are hard to find and that pushes up the cost alone. If I recall they were in the 800 to 875 Euro range. The finishing doesn't look like Alden at all. I usually find their finishing to be kind of bland and sloppy, I am thinking that the shop owner, or employee or whatever spent a lot of time with them to give them a real high end look. I thought they were great, however I personally would never buy an unlined, or canvas lined shoe. The thought of all of my foot sweat soaking the uppers directly with every wear is bad news bears in my opinion. I would be renovatuering the insides daily. But then again I am a greasy ginney.

11. Roguls

Roguls Senior member

Will update soon. I want more names and will be compiling info before contacting Alden.

12. rkusmant

rkusmant Senior member

put my name on the list, I think you'll make stronger case if you have design in mind.

13. jiomitori

jiomitori Senior member

Will update soon. I want more names and will be compiling info before contacting Alden.

Thanks again for doing this, and please let us know if you need any help.

14. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

put my name on the list, I think you'll make stronger case if you have design in mind.

I'm up for a modified last shell longwing!

15. greekgeek

greekgeek Senior member