1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Alden Modified Last: If You Wear, or are Interested, Please Read

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Roguls, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Kashiwa

Kashiwa Senior member

Sarcasm. I've seen your snazzy Ravello boots.

2. stevent

stevent Senior member

:eh: could always use more haha. Not trying to spend that kind of money though given you could get 3 pairs of shell...

3. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Not on the Modified last you can't . . .

I'd say a trip to Paris is in order, but one pair of Aldens would put me well over the customs exemption limit.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  4. stevent

stevent Senior member

True, been needing to go to Spain for a few startup ideas I've had, should stop in Paris. No time right now though :confused:

And if you just wear them once or fly out of somewhere like Heathrow you won't have any issues with customs...could always say you carry your boots in the original box...

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  5. Kashiwa

Kashiwa Senior member

Not sure how much the cap toes were, but they weren't as much as the $1800 tankers I mentioned earlier.

6. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

I try to behave at customs. The boxes are usually too bulky for my suitcase. Casualties of international shopping and all that.

7. maltess

maltess Senior member

Hello, is the modified a narrow last? it looks like that to me by the photos but I cant be sure

best regards

8. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

[​IMG]

Not sure if you're referring to the picture above or if you've seen the above. Note that this chart shows the Modified last as having the 2nd "largest" volume and the 2nd widest. I think it varies from person to person but to me, the key characteristic of the ML is that the heel is much narrower than say the Barrie or Trubalance and most of all, it has a significantly contoured and narrow waist.

It also has more room in the toe box than say the Barrie. The Modified last also (again, my experience only) is much better for people with a higher instep/arch. Some of my Barries feel a little snug across the instep while the arch and heel feel a little loose whereas the same size Modified last shoe will feel good across the instep and fit my arch and heel much better.

The Modified last is so far my favorite Alden last although I don't have experience with all of the lasts.

9. maltess

maltess Senior member

Thanks, I am always looking for narrow lasts, C&J 348, 337, work good for me. I really like some alden boots I have seen in the modified last in some sites, like this

http://mouldedshoe.com/ESW/Images/DSC06789_(640x480).jpg

It looks narrow to me, looking at the chart I see maybe I am wrong althought the waist seems to be tight as you said,

10. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

I actually have this boot and really like it. The fit is perfect for me but I like a roomy toe box with a narrow waist and not too wide a heel. I would not call it a narrow boot or last. I can't speak to c&j as I don't own any (but hope to when I visit Jermyn (sp?) St next).

11. FuelForThought

FuelForThought New Member

Count me in for the petition

12. luzer

luzer Senior member

[​IMG]

405 Natural Modified from Moulded

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  13. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

I'm wearing mine today also. [​IMG]

14. Roguls

Roguls Senior member

Great look Luz. I did sell my 403 modifieds because I don't like how cxl creases. My suede and cordos are so nice though....

15. luzer

luzer Senior member

they crease. and feel too large. but i am stuck with them.

16. Kashiwa

Kashiwa Senior member

Wondering if some of the creasing is curtailed by the toe stitching on the Indy? I have PT Boots in CXL and the creases are not nice, but is this lessened by the mocc toe stitching?

17. luzer

luzer Senior member

i dont know
    might be creasing cause its too large
    bringing in to moulded to show

18. LImorowman

LImorowman Well-Known Member

I've had my modified Indy's for a few months now, I haven't noticed the creases, but they are a little big on me. I also have pair of wingtips on the modified last that fit perfectly. Both the wingtips and the Indy's are the same size, the Indy's feel at least a half size bigger. i wish I could go back in time and size down a half size..

19. luzer

luzer Senior member

ditto

20. vezatron

vezatron Senior member

Can we concur that modified sizing has changed over time?

I remember when a 9.5D was too small (captoe, moulded circa 2009), then fit perfectly (wingtips, shoemart + moulded 2010), and now is large ( looking at you CXL, moulded 2012)