Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Alden Modified Last: If You Wear, or are Interested, Please Read

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Roguls, Mar 31, 2011.

1. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

I'm guessing "standard" delivery window of 12-18 months from the date of order. However, I have heard from other Alden dealers that special orders have been coming as early as 9 months.

I'm also estimating a price of $565. Of course, I can't confirm anything at this juncture.

2. herrmj

herrmj Senior member

11 uk forest last feels much smaller than 11.5 d modified. My big toe is hitting the toebox wall. They are going back to epaulet. Beautiful shoes though, I'll try a 11.5 UK when available.

3. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Are you a 12 TTS?

4. herrmj

herrmj Senior member

Yes, with a pretty low instep/flexible arch.

5. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Sounds like my foot. As previously posted, I wear TTS in the Modified. Sounds like you need to stay TTS on the Forrest last. Please update if you find one that fits. I am also looking for a Forrest last shoe.

6. herrmj

herrmj Senior member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Plain cap toe #8 from shoemart seconds list maiden voyage today. The arch area on the left shoe was pretty wrinkly, enough to make me pause and think about sending them back for a few days... but I decided to pull the trigger today. Anyone know about the retailer these were made for, Bellerose?

7. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Sweet! Bellerose is some European company. Congratulations! I will continue to hope that some shell Modified shows up in my size.

I don't suppose you're in the market for a Kudu Indy boot, eh?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012

8. herrmj

herrmj Senior member

Sorry... I'm good to go on casual boots right now. Need to dress it up a bit.

9. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Just checking . . .

10. Kashiwa

Kashiwa Senior member

11. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

yes, i got that and no derailment intended.

i have a basic question, though.

why are you putting so much efforts into alden's and at the same time you ignore similar offers from other makers who have some of these models in their portfolio. i for myself am always open for a look over the edge of the plate..

12. sm31

sm31 Senior member

At least for me, the issue is the unique last, more than that it's Alden. I'd love to find an alternative, though I'm not aware of any (maybe Vass?).

So herrmj says above of the Carmina Forest (which I'm curious about as well, but the Rain doesn't work for me):

I often run into this "big toe is hitting the toebox wall" problem (though not with the Modified), so wonder if it's just size, or the last shape.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012

13. Knowledge is King

Knowledge is King Senior member

I don't think anyone here necessarily wants to deal with Alden (they take forever, have random limitations) but rather it's the Modified last that people want and need. Other shoes just don't fit properly -- It's a lousy predicament to be stuck with such a limited menu. If anyone knows of a another maker's last that fits even remotely similar to the Modified's heel and arch, I would love to know what it is. I suspect that if there is something similar out there, it's from an Austro-Hungarian maker, but getting there for a fitting is rather difficult. Fritzl, I think you should pick up a pair of Modified last shoes to see how unique the last is.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012

14. Roguls

Roguls Senior member

Yep, this exactly. I tried the forest from Carmina - it fits well, but not like the Modified. Perhaps Alden will expand or business will slow eventually, and there will be an opening for us. Otherwise, it seems the rare shell will be for the Euro/Japan market.

Herm, those cap toes are excellent.

15. Knowledge is King

Knowledge is King Senior member

One shoe I'd really like to acquire is the Crockett Jones 367 last "Audley III". It's a Japanese last developed by C&J that is only sold in Isetan (and maybe a few other places in Japan?). It's been featured in Men's EX and also the latest issue of LAST. It looks like they tried to emulate the Modified's heel and arch. Credit to Nutcracker for the "scanlation".