• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alden Modified Last: If You Wear, or are Interested, Please Read

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, I see. I would think there would be a way to do this by mail.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Hmmm, I see.  I would think there would be a way to do this by mail.

Some retail shops do this. For example, Frans Boone quotes prices outside the EU at -19%. Carmina's Web store only subtracts about 16%, but perhaps that's because it's also the manufacturer.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Checking into it, it seems the VAT refund is not always equal to the VAT. In France for example it may only be 12-15%. But on "luxury goods" it can be higher. I see the information on getting a VAT refund while visiting France, but I haven't found much on VAT refunds for export. I just see some notes indicating that the business does not have to charge VAT on exports. It is possible that Anatomica does not participate in the merchant program that facilitates VAT exonerations or exemptions. More research may be warranted.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I think that this pair is just too big and I might be fucked... They were a special make-up, single pair, so I'm stuck with them.
There is one very good shop in Manhattan i will try to consult on the fit....

half size is nothing. go from there...

Calikid

Reaction score
I just placed an order for a pair of the Ravello plain toe boots and was told that as a retail store Anatomica cannot take off the VAT... which was disappointing... but I still ordered them...

May I ask what size you ordered? And when? I called them last week and was told that they are all out of ravello plain toe boots, but perhaps they meant my size.
Sure... I ordered size 10D.....

I just placed an order for a pair of the Ravello plain toe boots and was told that as a retail store Anatomica cannot take off the VAT... which was disappointing... but I still ordered them...

Knowledge is King

Reaction score

Here are some.
Alden125th_2ndNov09.jpg

It's a shell chukka on Modified last circa US$1,300, if you can find some.

Kolecho, the chukka at the bottom here is on the Barrie last. If you look really closely, it's the first thing they say about it in the caption (バリー・ラスト = Barrie Last). The only shoes on the modified last in the pic above are (from the top) the 1st, 3rd and 5th shoes.

I still have never seen a chukka on the Modified last but there could be one out there somewhere I suppose.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up the black calf NST derby and the chocolate suede plain toe boot which were the best options available in my size. I had them shipped home to which actually saved me money vs. NY sales tax. Details to follow.

For all the forum lurkers curious about the Modified last, I have had a chance to test drive these shoes. They are my first on the Modified last. Let me say that they are excellent in terms of fit. They feature a taller heel cup vs. the Barrie last and the counters are taller and wider to provide additional support. If you are on the fence, I would suggest that this is a good time to sign on to the petition.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there any interest in doing a Kudu Indy boot, commando sole? I have the LS Kudu on the Truebalance. I like it, but it would be even more awesome on the Modified last. Any takers, provided such a MTO is feasible?

Kashiwa

Reaction score
Count me in for a Kudu Indy. This would look great on the Modified.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's no joke. I didn't think the Kudu Ultimate Indy could get any better, but the Modified last is very compelling.

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there any interest in doing a Kudu Indy boot, commando sole? I have the LS Kudu on the Truebalance. I like it, but it would be even more awesome on the Modified last. Any takers, provided such a MTO is feasible?
Count me in also if this is feasible.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am investigating. More to follow when information is available.

***Edit***

Moulded will place the order. The caveat may be the commando sole. Alden doesn't like to do the commando on the Modified last (probably due to it's odd shape).

Here is an opportunity to do something just a little bit different. Let me know if you would like to sign onto the project.

Last edited:

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ I may be interested. Did Moulded give you an idea of when these may be delivered?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics