1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Alden Modified Last: If You Wear, or are Interested, Please Read

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Roguls, Mar 31, 2011.

1. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

I bought one pair of calf NST shoes and one pair of suede boots (as posted previously). Both the same size. Both fit very nicely. An Indy boot on the Modified should fit the same too. Speaking of which, I'm still looking for people interested in doing a Kudu Indy on the Modified last.

2. Kashiwa

Kashiwa Senior member

^^ Like this?

[​IMG]

An ML last version of this would be sweet!

3. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

4. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

Let's go for it!! Do we have enough people yet?

5. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

No, the response has been very weak. Three yeses, and two maybes . . . I did correspond with Raphael in reference. Moulded has seen very little interest in Kudu. Not enough to justify a production run. Unless we get twelve buyers, it'll be no joy on the Kudu Modified Indy.

Maybe we need a Kudu Appreciation thread.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  6. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

^I don't want to throw any sand on this campfire, but I think I'm only interested if we can do a commando sole. I might also do the neoprene cork, but I don't think I'm in for leather.

7. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

I'm with you on that. The Commando sole is iffy. Alden doesn't like to do it on the Modified, but we won't know until the order is placed.

8. Kashiwa

Kashiwa Senior member

^^ Full commando with heavy lugs? Or recessed and barely visible up front? (as on the LS Kudu Indy above)? Would prefer the second option.

9. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

As on the Ultimate Indy, split sole.

10. Mike147

Mike147 Senior member

Anyone jumping on these?

http://mouldedshoe.tumblr.com/post/28419223313/new-custom-case-arrival-alden-54911-brown

I have an old pair of these that I wear pretty often. They are Footbalance line construction, not fully leather-lined... have been resoled 3 times so far and are losing their mojo. Thinking about scooping these up but not 100% sure... Hoping to save up 2k Euro for a pair of custom in Vienna if I can swing a business trip to europe. These split toes are likely around $500+ retail.

11. jiomitori

jiomitori Senior member

Mike, those look like great shoes. Personally, I'm not into the split toes, but I'd love a pair of brown chromexcel plain toes.

12. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Agreed. I really hate that model and don't know why it is so popular (but they make a lot of them, in many variations, so it must be). I have one pair in that style - on the Modified Last in Whiskey shell - because I wanted to try Whiskey Shell. It is possible that I regret the purchase. I know it is close.

13. Mike147

Mike147 Senior member

Yeah - I think I'm likely to save up for something be-spoke... Cap Toe, Per Cap-toe, V-Tip, i have too many versions of the same shoe and I never really warmed up to the V

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  14. luzer

luzer Senior member

i talked about this last year

i own 4 modified lasts
    the INDY natural i got from moulded fits looser.
    not sure why

15. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

I just sold my Indy 405's recently because the Trubalance last just doesn't work for me. The heel area was way too wide for me. So I ordered some natty CXL Indy's on the Modified last from Moulded Shoe, which should arrive in a few days. So far, the Modified last is my favorite Alden last, but then I've only tried the Trubalance, Barrie and Modified so far. I'm worried that the other lasts (Grant, Leydon, Plaza, Aberdeen) may be too narrow in the commonly available widths. I will try on these lasts next time I'm anywhere near an Alden retailer.

Btw, I was speaking to the guy at Moulded Shoe and he told me that Alden won't even accept orders from them for pretty much all shell except black and #8. One guy there told me awhile ago that they've had an order for a cigar boot that's not been acknowledged for over two years. So the hope of getting any of the exotic shells on the ML is pretty slim unless we go overseas as some have posted here previously.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  16. Kashiwa

Kashiwa Senior member

Would so much like to try the Modified last. Feel the same way about the TB. Frustrating to be "overseas" in a country dedicated to the ML and still not have a chance to even try it.

17. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

If I may ask then, are you in Japan? If so, are you not near an Alden retailer?

18. Kashiwa

Kashiwa Senior member

In Japan and near many Alden retailers, but nobody stocks my size.

19. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

Got it. Such a shame. I'd have a field day in Japan.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  20. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Funny you should say that . . .