• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alden Modified Last: If You Wear, or are Interested, Please Read

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I now wear shell Modified last in a half size larger than my first pair from Moulded. My shoes sizes in other brands have not changed in the same period. Go figure.

At least you have some shell Modified . . . some of us are still waiting. Any photos of your shell Modified?

vezatron

Reaction score

word, I'm trying the forest last from epaulet, just put the order in.

Please give us your impressions of the forest last once the shoes arrive.

Last edited:

Mike147

Reaction score
My PCT Shell #8 in 9.5EEE are too big and almost unwearable - Wonder if I can get them re-lasted as a 9EEE... I really love the way they look but even with an additional stuffed insole and tongue pad - can't get them comfortable.

I think sizing in ML from Moulded has evolved - there is a difference in fit between the old FootBalance Duck Cotton lining and the new custom make-up fully leather lined shoes. I will only buy 9EEE going forward and will not order special make-up pairs from Alden - need to try on before pulling the trigger.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My PCT Shell #8 in 9.5EEE are too big and almost unwearable - Wonder if I can get them re-lasted as a 9EEE... I really love the way they look but even with an additional stuffed insole and tongue pad - can't get them comfortable.
I think sizing in ML from Moulded has evolved - there is a difference in fit between the old FootBalance Duck Cotton lining and the new custom make-up fully leather lined shoes. I will only buy 9EEE going forward and will not order special make-up pairs from Alden - need to try on before pulling the trigger.

Is 9.5EEE TTS for you?

Going by the posts on the Alden thread, they will not re-last the shoes. If someone knows differently, please post.

Last edited:

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

That's not too surprising.  Shell cordovan runs slightly larger than their calf/suede counterparts.  Shell cannot be stretched as tightly around the last as calf skin.  Hence, it fits just a bit looser.  Hopefully that is what this was.

I picked up the black calf NST derby and the chocolate suede plain toe boot which were the best options available in my size.  I had them shipped home to which actually saved me money vs. NY sales tax.  Details to follow.

Suede PTB boots look like they should be nice. Will look forward to some photos of them. Enjoy them.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Please give us your impressions of the forest last once the shoes arrive.

Forest last is very nice. It has what I think is an elegant high, rounded toe box. I don't think it has nearly the arch support of the ML, though. Also, it really only comes in a medium width for all practical purposes. It's is, as I understand it, one of the few Carmina lasts that's offered in wide (and possibly narrow), but that's MTO. I have a pair of 10.5UK wide boots on order for fall delivery, so we'll see what happens. Otherwise, I really need an 11UK (vs. 11D ML and 11D/10.5E Barrie) to get the necessary width. A few photos of a pair I have are here: http://www.styleforum.net/t/241469/carmina-shoe-p0rn/360#post_5344314.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I think sizing in ML from Moulded has evolved - there is a difference in fit between the old FootBalance Duck Cotton lining and the new custom make-up fully leather lined shoes. I will only buy 9EEE going forward and will not order special make-up pairs from Alden - need to try on before pulling the trigger

tbh, what is it all about with this DIY experiments. imo, if you don't have the experience in fitting a shoe/boot see an expert and call it a day. every decent cobbler should be able to give you an evaluation on your issue. ever thought of this?

vezatron

Reaction score

Forest last is very nice. It has what I think is an elegant high, rounded toe box. I don't think it has nearly the arch support of the ML, though. Also, it really only comes in a medium width for all practical purposes. It's is, as I understand it, one of the few Carmina lasts that's offered in wide (and possibly narrow), but that's MTO. I have a pair of 10.5UK wide boots on order for fall delivery, so we'll see what happens. Otherwise, I really need an 11UK (vs. 11D ML and 11D/10.5E Barrie) to get the necessary width. A few photos of a pair I have are here: http://www.styleforum.net/t/241469/carmina-shoe-p0rn/360#post_5344314.

Arch support drives my love of the modified last. Will I be disappointed in the Forest?

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't think there's going to be quite as much arch support. Here's a side by side photo. Carmina Forest in 10.5UK (R) and ML is 11D (L). I think a lot is going to depend on what kind of fit you get out of the Carmina size you are trying. 10.5UK is pretty snug on me, and so the arch is pretty firm. I hope it works out for you. It's a very nice shape and they make fine shoes.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I don't think there's going to be quite as much arch support.
Here's a side by side photo. Carmina Forest in 10.5UK (R) and ML is 11D (L). I think a lot is going to depend on what kind of fit you get out of the Carmina size you are trying. 10.5UK is pretty snug on me, and so the arch is pretty firm. I hope it works out for you. It's a very nice shape and they make fine shoes.

do you know what arch support is/means?

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Arch support drives my love of the modified last. Will I be disappointed in the Forest?
I don't think there's going to be quite as much arch support. Here's a side by side photo. Carmina Forest in 10.5UK (R) and ML is 11D (L). I think a lot is going to depend on what kind of fit you get out of the Carmina size you are trying. 10.5UK is pretty snug on me, and so the arch is pretty firm. I hope it works out for you. It's a very nice shape and they make fine shoes.

Arch support on Forest last is just as good as Modified last in my experience.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's something to whet your apetite

Ravello captoe Modified Last for Anatomica

vezatron

Reaction score
Terrific, thanks for the responses. I'll pull the trigger.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

do you know what arch support is/means?

Perhaps you'd do best to consult a local podiatrist, an expert in such matters.

Arch support on Forest last is just as good as Modified last in my experience.

Great to hear your experience. I hope everything works out for vezatron.

Here's something to whet your apetite

Ravello captoe Modified Last for Anatomica

Really nice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads