Alden Modified Last: If You Wear, or are Interested, Please Read

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Roguls, Mar 31, 2011.

1. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

I'd love to try a pair of modified last boots. How does the last fit/sizing run compared to other lasts?

I see from the description of the last that it addresses foot pronation, which would undoubtedly be helpful to me.

2. dcg

dcg Senior member

^About a half size large, roomy in the toe, snug in the heel, with a lot of arch support.

3. southbound35

southbound35 Senior member

^About a half size large, roomy in the toe, snug in the heel, with a lot of arch support.

This sounds ideal. Need to look into this last.

4. Renton

Renton Senior member

If I can figure out my sizing, I'd be pretty interested.

5. well-kept

well-kept Senior member

Exactly. It hugs the instep, far more than other any Alden last, with plenty of wiggle room in the toe, quite a rare combination.

6. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

This sounds ideal. Need to look into this last.
    +1 - kind of like Barrie but with a supportive instep? Sounds interesting, and I'd love to try it!

7. sazon

sazon Senior member

+1 . Add me.

8. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

Count me in. I was lucky enough to get a pair of shell boots on the Modified Last...sublime is not the word. At the Alden store in NYC, they told me they could do a special make-up for a Ravello LWB on the Modified...I wound up not having the dough at the time, but maybe we can get this off the ground.

9. dcg

dcg Senior member

I hope that none of you will take this the wrong way, but I would probably kill you all for the chance to get my hands on something in whiskey cordovan in a 10C on the modified last.

[​IMG]

10. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

+1 - kind of like Barrie but with a supportive instep? Sounds interesting, and I'd love to try it!

A supportive instep and lacking the stupidly huge heel of the Barrie.

11. scratchline

scratchline New Member

Please add me to the list. Visited Moulded Shoe a couple of weeks ago and they are the best. Am wearing my Modified Last Aldens right now. Would LOVE to see some special make-up shell boots available. Thanks for the effort.

-Mike

12. rebel222

rebel222 Senior member

To me, the modified last looks like a clown shoe. Don't get me wrong, this last is comfortable, but I imagine my grandma's orthopedic shoes are too. It looks like someone put a balloon in the end of the shoe, and blew up the toe box. None of the pics posted show this, but I have owned a couple pair. The last looked like something you would wear if you had a swollen/broken toe.

13. PHILIPBENNY

PHILIPBENNY Member

14. well-kept

well-kept Senior member

To me, the modified last looks like a clown shoe. Don't get me wrong, this last is comfortable, but I imagine my grandma's orthopedic shoes are too. It looks like someone put a balloon in the end of the shoe, and blew up the toe box. None of the pics posted show this, but I have owned a couple pair. The last looked like something you would wear if you had a swollen/broken toe.

That's true for some models but not for others. It seems to depend on the cut and pattern of the particular piece. It's not the case with the boots I own.

15. Roguls

Roguls Senior member

Seriously? Do you not see those boots I posted?

They are even better in person.