1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Alden Modified Last: If You Wear, or are Interested, Please Read

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Roguls, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Mike147

Mike147 Senior member

EEE No more on boots - no problem with shoes...

2. jpc9

jpc9 Senior member

Crosspost from Alden mega-thread:

Quote:

Quote: I've read the same exact thing; lots of strong (to say the least) opinions either way about the Modified in particular. So, curiosity got the better of me and I took the plunge on these Natty SWB makeups from Moulded (sorry for the shitty iPhone 4 pics and no, I don't roll my jeans like that..they're work/yard jeans rolled up to show the whole shoe.)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was skeptical right up until I stood up after lacing them. "No way these will fit correctly," I told myself, "Look at that bizarre sole profile."

And then...

Holy hell they are comfortable - much more so than Barrie (which fits fine, but not like these). I don't find them too wide or constricting in the midfoot and I am pretty much a textbook 9 medium on the Brannock with average arches (these are accordingly size 8.5D). Yeah, the toebox is a bit bulbous, but there is something oddly sleek about them. I can't really define how.

Like stevent said, try them on. You might be surprised. I certainly was.

3. Kashiwa

Kashiwa Senior member

^^ Those look great IMO. I honestly think that there are just some angles from which photos make the Modified last look strange. In real life, it looks great.

4. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

5. herrmj

herrmj Senior member

Put me on the list. Just got the natural cxl plain toe boot from shoemart... my fit issues are finally solved :)

6. Kashiwa

Kashiwa Senior member

^^ Would be very happy to hear more about how the Modifed works for you. I realize, of course, that the fit of a shoe is not something prone to description, but I am very interested in hearing anyone's story of how and why the Modified works for them. I had a chance to try on a Modified last shoe that was a half size too small (that was the biggest they had in stock) and I could see where it might work well for me.

7. stevent

stevent Senior member

Has the width I want up front but keeps it slim in the mid and back area. Lots of support in the middle area as well. Also makes shoe look much sleeker compared to barrie or trubalance

8. Kashiwa

Kashiwa Senior member

^^ Thanks for the reply. That's exactly what I was wondering about. I'm having some difficulty with the Barrie because of the wide heel. Fits great up front but loose in back. I visited Lakota House here in Tokyo and tried on a Modified last shoe in a half size too small. The SA told me that the heel width of the Modified is no more narrow than the Barrie. This doesn't seem right. Obviously the waist or arch area is much more narrow, and it looks like, as you stated, the heel is narrower as well. On the half size too small shoe I tried the arch area definitely felt tight, but that is in part due to the fact that my foot was pushed forward in the shoe.

For those of you new to the Modified, did the tight waist feel odd at first?

9. herrmj

herrmj Senior member

I'll echo the wide up front, tight in the back description. Barrie (and most other lasts I've tried in alden and AE) would leave me floating around in the heel when the toebox was big enough. I know the arch area looks extremely thin, but I did not find it constricting. I can even drop in a superfeet black insole (with the toe trimmed off) to get a better fit.

10. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Good to know, thanks. Moulded Shoe here I come!

11. Kashiwa

Kashiwa Senior member

Thanks for the information. It sounds like a great fit for me.

12. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

We need to do an SF Modified Last MTO, even if it isn't in shell. Any takers?

13. stevent

stevent Senior member

I'd be down depending on what the MTO was. Right now best bet is Shoemart seconds. Moulded and Shoemart have a few as well. Really bummed I passed on a black calf modified jumper / naval boot...

14. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

It's completely open. What do we want to build?

15. LImorowman

LImorowman Well-Known Member

I bought my burgundy short wing's from Moulded in the modified last. They were the most expensive shoes I ever bought, but they are by far the most comfortable. I'm saving up for another pair of modified's. I would love for them to expand on what they offer in that last. I would love a chukka in modified..

16. Kashiwa

Kashiwa Senior member

^^ Thanks for sharing. The fact that nobody makes a Modified last chukka makes it a great candidate for an MTO. But I wonder if there is a reason that nobody offers this?

17. Knowledge is King

Knowledge is King Senior member

There is a very good reason -- Alden doesn't make any chukkas on the modified last so it's not even a candidate for MTO

A few pages back I think someone asked about whether Alden is still making EEE width modified last shoes. I had this same conversation with Moulded Shoe this past winter and they told me that Alden no longer makes modified last boots in EEE, but EEE shoes on modified last can still be produced.

Also, Moulded Shoe told me that the typical reason for a lot of these random limitations usually has to do with updated equipment that just doesn't allow for the production of certain makeups.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  18. Kashiwa

Kashiwa Senior member

^^ Thanks for the info. That is indeed a good reason.

I talked with a SA at Lakota House here in Tokyo the other day who said that they are not able to get narrow width modified last shoes anymore either. They were busy at the time, so I couldn't pursue the discussion further, but he stated that the sharp curve in the arch area makes the shoes more difficult to "efficiently" produce (I'm not 100% sure of the reason, but something along those lines).

19. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Shoot for the sky. We pay a premium for Alden and other special case shoes. So the equipment doesn't accommodate some builds. Who cares? We should still ask for it. The equipment makers cater to manufacturers the same way that manufacturers cater to retail customers. That is to say, if the customer will buy it at the right price, they will build it.

20. herrmj

herrmj Senior member

1 person likes this.