1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Alden Modified Last: If You Wear, or are Interested, Please Read

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Roguls, Mar 31, 2011.

1. wesmamyke

wesmamyke Active Member

Another sizing question I'm afraid. I bought a pair of boots in the modified last from Moulded and they were huge. I applied the common size down a half size wisdom but they were still quite large. The boots I bought were in size 9D, I have been looking at another boot in the Truebalance last in a size 8.5D.

What i'm wondering is if I size down a full size to an 8.5D in the Truebalance last will I end up too small? My only alden experience is with these recent Moulded shoe boots that seem to fit big even by Modified last standards.

I did like the modified last, feels great around the arch and ankle but can't/won't do bussiness with Moulded shoe again, they simply charge far too much for shipping.

2. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

How much did they charge you BTW?

3. Roguls

Roguls Senior member

Fantastic post. I need those #8s.

4. wesmamyke

wesmamyke Active Member

Moulded charged me $20 for shipping. It's not crazy for a $600 pair of shoes but with return shipping it adds up. Buying from Shoemart is a little more realistic for me at $7 or whatever they charge for the return label.

I tried to talk to them about lasts and sizing before returning the boots so I could maybe exchange them instead. They acted very odd, wouldn't really talk to me at all, seemed uninterested in doing bussiness over the phone and told me to go find an Alden dealer.

5. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

$20 is stiff no matter how you slice it for one pair of boots. If they have merchant account, their shipping rate is cheaper than what you or I can get. In my correspondence from Moulded, they only suggest that I come in for a fitting. Too bad since Moulded seems to have a lock on the Modified last.

6. Mike147

Mike147 Senior member

My feet are normal, maybe D or single E - have a thick orthotic so EEE is all that fits. The EEE width does not do the Modified Last, or any last, any favors in terms if styling :)

Will try to find some pics - there's one on AAAC for sure

7. Mike147

Mike147 Senior member

There are more than 'irregular' - they are factory rejects (with Stamp), sold through a single source Globally - The ShoeMart. Seller clearly states in his post that they are irregular - agreed. I'm simply think that this should be more prominently displayed in the post.

8. Mike147

Mike147 Senior member

Very nice... What size do you wear?

9. sm31

sm31 Senior member

Oh crap; just when I thought I figured out a last and size I could rely on.

How much of discrepancy was there? Enough that you would need to go down another half size to get the right fit?

And do you attribute that to some sort of manufacturing defect, or just the particular style?

10. Mike147

Mike147 Senior member

Couple of things that could impact this:
    1. When i started wearing ML in 9.5EEE, i was 25 pounds heavier - that could be a reason. Weight loss can change foot size
    2. I wear orthotics - and this is a complete game changer in terms of sizing. My othotics have changed in the past few years.
    3. Shell Cordovan shoes, IMO, fit a bit bigger than Calf.

I think if the ML shoes / boots you are wearing fit well, then you shouldn't have a problem. Especially if you do not wear orthotics / inserts. What size do you wear?

11. sm31

sm31 Senior member

I don't (yet) own any modified last shoes. But when I was in NYC in December, I dropped by Moulded Shoe, and tried on a couple/few models with an 11D size, all of which fit me well (and no orthotics). I just didn't like the styles they had much, so figured I'd wait on something I liked more from them, or from ShoeMart, and order and get them shipped.

12. luzer

luzer Senior member

8.5 D in Modified
    i have a narrow heel. probably never wore the correct size. Moulded guys (Roni) are helpful in person. when i see a Barrie heel, i feel both my heels could fit in it.

dont know. it could be a $550 mistake. maybe the make the Indy's larger to accommodate socks? i need to bring them back to check it out- try another 1/2 size down (they dont do returns, of course)

13. dm2703

dm2703 Active Member

My 8.5 modified last boots are larger than my 8.5 shoes. i have 5 pairs now so i know it's not a normal thing. i'm quite sure that the shoes are made purposefully larger to take into account differences in socks between boots and dress shoe and boot. if it bothers you, moulded has inserts shaped like the modified last to make the shoes seem smaller in fit.

14. luzer

luzer Senior member

thanks

15. LImorowman

LImorowman Well-Known Member

Hi Roguls, thanks for posting back on the other thread. Please add my name to the petition.

Thanks

16. Roguls

Roguls Senior member

It's been over a year now, but we are encroaching 50. Once I get fifty, I'll draft a formal letter to Alden and see if we can get Moulded a license to make at least one (hopefully more) shell makeups in cordovan.

17. Lithium214

Lithium214 New Member

18. sm31

sm31 Senior member

Me too.

19. Roguls

Roguls Senior member

Updated. We need more names.

20. sm31

sm31 Senior member

Are you planning to write the letter only expressing interest in boots, or more in the general idea of custom shell makeups?

I ask because I really want this shoe (maybe ideally in cigar), and so would encourage the latter approach!

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 4, 2012