Alden Longwings LWB - Color Comparison?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by RPMcMurphy, Aug 9, 2010.

1. RPMcMurphy

RPMcMurphy Well-Known Member

Greetings,

I've been lurking on this site for a little bit looking at all the great pictures in the Alden thread (I've gotten through about 200pages of it). If my searching skills are horrible, please give me a kick, but does anyone have a picture comparing the colors of the Alden LWB? I understand that wear, lighting, etc....are all going to make the same shoe look different, but, the Shell Cigar seems to look significantly different in every picture I see, so I'm a little confused on what color is what in regards to dark brown, #8, ravello, cigar, etc...

Have tried a few local stores that carry Alden, but none seem to have the style/colors I'm interested in.

Thanks!
    -R

2. RPMcMurphy

3. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

Hmm. Try looking through Leather Soul's site. They tend to get a lot of Aldens in different shell colors. From my understanding, Cigar is browner and tanner than Ravello, which has more red in it. #8 is a dark maroon/plumb color--approaching black when new.

Yet, you are right that even the same color of shell will look very different depending on the specific hide, shoe, and lighting conditions. You have to keep your color expectations relatively loose when it comes to cordovan.

4. RPMcMurphy

Thx. I'm looking to pair these with both dark jeans and khaki's, so thinking Cigar would be my most versatile, and will age the best as these will be worn quite frequently...

-R

5. RPMcMurphy

p.s. I see your in NYC, who would have the best selection/stock? I plan on Bridge/Tunneling in, perhaps tonight...

6. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

I think any of the non-black shell colors pairs easily with jeans or khakis, though I have I personally prefer both #8 and Ravello over Cigar. I'm not sure who has the best selection in the city, but the Alden shop on Madison is a good bet. They usually have each shell color represented in at least one pair of shoes.

7. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

^^^A month or so ago the Alden shop on Madison had all the colors and most of the styles but they didn't have a full range of sizes. Nonetheless, this is where I'd think you'd want to start your search.

8. RPMcMurphy

Thx much, now to find a ressy close to pacify my wife!

9. jesask

jesask Senior member

Right now I have both cigar and #8. I like ravello but missed out on a pair when they came out at a store near my home. The cigar gets alot of wear, both with jeans and for the office. I would describe it as a nice brown.

I have never seen whisky in person but from the pictures I have seen, it seems a bit light for me and not as versatile.

10. Chips

Chips Senior member

I prefer the pebble grain for this particular style.

[​IMG]

11. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Not all longwings, but whiskey, ravello, cognac(?) calf, cigar, C&J Polo brown.
    [​IMG]
    Whiskey and snuff suede.
    [​IMG]

12. jamesbond

jamesbond Senior member

Now that's a collection. Those Darltons sure do stand out but I think your Alden's need to age more before you can compare the finishes. Something about watching my shoes age/patina over time as I wear them is preferable to something pre-finished like the Darltons. To each his own though.

13. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

When that first pic was taken, the Polos were almost two years old and had many wearings.
    I don't think the whiskey and ravellos boots had more than a couple wearings at the time.
    In the other picture, the whiskey longwings hadn't been worn yet.

14. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Not all longwings, but whiskey, ravello, cognac(?) calf, cigar, C&J Polo brown.
    Whiskey and snuff suede.

Another very nice collection. I like every single one of them. [​IMG]

15. forex

forex Senior member

Snuff suede longwings are looking great,really dig them. So are the cigar shell LWs[​IMG]