• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alden Indy boots..structured toe?

GeniusUnleashed

Reaction score
Hey all:

I can't believe I can't find this anywhere and hoping people here might know. I'm in the process of ordering my first pair of Truman's and really can't decide between structured and unstructured. The thought of collapsed toes makes my skin crawl but I'm not a huge fan of big bulbous toes which end up looking like work boots to me.

I have a pair of Indy boots and can't seem to locate any info on whether they're structured or unstructured. They feel firmer than the rest of the boot, so I'm assuming they are, and they don't seem bulbous.

Anyone have info or advice?

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you might be confusing two separate issues here.

When people talk about structured and unstructured in regards to shoes/boots they are usually talking about the shoe/boot not being lined or canvas reinforced in some way, which would make the shoe more breathable/flexible (but lose form more quickly). This doesn't automatically mean that there will be no toe or heel stiffeners in the boot, which I've usually seen included even on shoes which are unstructured/unlined. A plastic or leather stiffener is moldable to the last of the boot, so it will not necessarily have impact on creating more bulk on the toe. Steel stiffeners however would, since they are less maliable.

I don't have experience with Alden shoes, but I believe the Alden Indy boot is both lined/structured and has toe and heel stiffeners. So if you really like the feel of them, maybe you should just go with structured. I would get in contact with Truman customer service and ask them if their unstructured boot still has toe and heel reinforcement, so that you know for sure.

Last edited:

GeniusUnleashed

Reaction score
Thanks for the insight. I received a reply from Shoemart and the Indy's are indeed structured toes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics