• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alden Indy Boots or Red Wing Beckamn Moc Toe?

Newstyle

Reaction score
So I need help deciding on a pair of boots. I'm looking for a lace up brown "work" boot style. Right now I am looking at the Alden 405's and the Red Wing Beckman Moc Toe, but I can't decide what will be more versatile. I found the Alden's online for $319 shipped and the Red Wing's will look to be just under $300. I'm on a pretty strict budget and shouldn't be buying either but I'm going to.

My concern is the Red Wing's look very chunky while the Indy's look a little less and more refined. Neither will be used for work. I'm a 28yr college student (no job) so I want to make the best decision and feel happy about it.

I wear a lot of sport coats and dark jeans and dark chino's, patterened shirts, cardigans and knit ties. J. Crew style if this helps.

Any suggestions or experience with either would be much appreciated. Thanks

ysb

Reaction score
How many posts do I need to have before I can make asshole comments to people that post questions where there are probably 5 multi-page threads about the very same topic? Because seriously, I'm dying over here wishing that I could do it. I know that I've probably posted my fair share of these questions myself that seem stupid, but I've probably only made one new thread on here, everything else has been my own B&S thread or replies to the stickied threads.

Seriously, before I even think of posting in one of the stickied threads, I use the forum search (I know it's a little ******), the "search this forum" option. and THEN I'll do a google search for my question and just add "styleforum" to see if that will pick anything up.

Newstyle

Reaction score
Cool man, thanks for wasting your own time writing that lengthy response. Looks like you need 189 posts!

obeserabbit

Reaction score
sounds like the aldens might fit in with your style a bit better

ENT

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, where did you find Indy's for $319? I'm in the market for some as well. Based on what you've written, I think that's probably the way for you to go.

skunkworks

Reaction score
This thread sucks. Stop filling up the main page with personal questions that are irrelevant to almost everyone but you, it's selfish.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads