• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alden Indy boot, you have one?

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for some nice boots to go with casual wear this fall/winter. My criteria are waterproof/resistant and good looking and well made. I'll probably pair them with flat-front/uncuffed moleskins pants, or maybe even corduroy pants (pleated and cuffed)

What do you think of this Alden Indy boot? I don't like the sole, looks cheap

http://www.aldenshop.com/DrawOneShoe.asp?CategoryID=109

What about this one? sole looks more rugged

http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/index...e_Boot_174.htm

Is the Indy boot too casual?

Is this BB boot/C&J Conniston too formal looking? and what's its waterproofability?

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...&Parent_Id=522

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
damn, i like those rubber soled boots! I hadn't seen those before.

To be honest, the Indy boots (405 model) only look good after they have been severely broken in, and get dusty. until then, they look much too spanking new and reddish in color.

augustin

Reaction score
I have always loved the Coniston. The Indy boots just look clunky next to it. Some people really don't like the dainite soles, although I don't recall why.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just purchased a pair of Alden Indy's here in Honolulu from a nice guy, Matthew from Leather Soul. So far, so good:) I also have a pair of 1908 Centennial Red Wings. I'm glad I have both.

scb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
can you post pictures? I want to see how the color looks compared to the pictures on the site

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I saw some Indy boots at the J Crew Liquor Store last time I was there (about 3 weeks ago), they looked good, and were distressed in a decent sort of way, if you can't wait for time to take its course. Don't think they are available online, but they might ship.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the BB/C&J boot and am awaiting my proxied pair from Chorse123. I never really fell for the Indy boot and the Gentleman Traveler black cherry color didn't do it for me. To me, both of them look like upscale work boots. IMO, the BB model looks dressier. It would still look great with denim, but could look really good with a sportcoat. I've seen the Indy boot with a sportcoat, but it didn't work in my eye.

LynahFaithful

Reaction score
I recently received the Alden Vintage Indy's from LeatherSoul - special order for sizing issues. Tom's sizing advice was spot on and they will be perfect for upstate NY. The color is definitely darker than appears on the screen.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
I saw some Indy boots at the J Crew Liquor Store last time I was there (about 3 weeks ago), they looked good, and were distressed in a decent sort of way, if you can't wait for time to take its course. Don't think they are available online, but they might ship.
I saw the J.Crew Indy boots as well and they looked very nice. Indy boots aren't my thing, but the ones I saw in J.Crew looked nice.

scb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LynahFaithful
I recently received the Alden Vintage Indy's from LeatherSoul - special order for sizing issues. Tom's sizing advice was spot on and they will be perfect for upstate NY. The color is definitely darker than appears on the screen.

can you post pictures? i'd love to see "real" pictures of both the kudu and vintage indys...

AnGeLiCbOrIs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wore the BB Peal boot in horroble weather last winter. With one misstep, one boot was completely submerged in a puddle. Not only did my feet stay dry, but the boots are still good as new. My only complaint is that Dainite can be very slippery in snow and ice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads