• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alden Indy boot, you have one?

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by guyapprentice
just received my pair of alden ultimate indy in horween's kudu leather from leathersoul. their service superb as usual, and i could not be happier... these bad boys are perfect for the nyc winter!

http://www.leathersoulhawaii.com/200...ultimate-indy/

what kind of sole is that? Is it treated leather in the ball and a rubber tip at the front?

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own the Vintage Indy from LeatherSoul/Alden. I'm a U.S. 12D and bought this size. It is too roomy and smells funny...the nubuck that is

Recently bought the Indy boot with Snuff Suede in a U.S. 12C. Much better fit and the suede is very comfortable.

stant62

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would like to add that I was out and about in the Boston winter and muddy outlying MA woodlands with the Indys and they are still superb. Just remember to polish and condition so it develops that beautiful patina.

LynahFaithful

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Michael Ay329
I own the Vintage Indy from LeatherSoul/Alden. I'm a U.S. 12D and bought this size. It is too roomy and smells funny...the nubuck that is

Recently bought the Indy boot with Snuff Suede in a U.S. 12C. Much better fit and the suede is very comfortable.

The Trubalance last that my Vintage Indy's are made on is not true to size - it runs large. I'm also a size 12 but the Brannock Device has me as an A width. I sized down 1/2 size on Tom's recommendation and got an 11.5A and they fit perfectly with just enough room to put on heavier socks for the winter. Nubuck smells different for sure but I don't mind the smell at all.

LynahFaithful

Reaction score
Originally Posted by scb
can you post pictures? i'd love to see "real" pictures of both the kudu and vintage indys...

Unfortunately, being that I'm even older than Vox, I am not yet digital camera compliant and so I'm not sure I can get pics but will try.

scb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LynahFaithful
Unfortunately, being that I'm even older than Vox, I am not yet digital camera compliant and so I'm not sure I can get pics but will try.
thanks! are the vintage Indys as rugged as the others? debating between the vintage and kudu (if there are any Kudu left)

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Whiskey cordovan.
whiskyindy.jpg

LynahFaithful

Reaction score
Originally Posted by scb
thanks! are the vintage Indys as rugged as the others? debating between the vintage and kudu (if there are any Kudu left)

I've not had this kind of boot before but I am sure they are as rugged as anything else. I have a pair of Red Wing boots that I bought in the 70's for work boots that I still wear. As Tom explained it to me when I asked about care for the Alden's, "just wear them to death" and don't worry about care other than cleaning any dirt or mud. So, I plan to do just that. I think either one will be fine and from what I see in Tom's pictures, they are very similar, but, he could tell you for sure.

Sweet whiskey's zippy

pactiger

Reaction score
Lynah,

So after sizing down do they fit a little wider than a dress shoe or the same? Thinking about picking up a pair.

Thanks much

LynahFaithful

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pactiger
Lynah,

So after sizing down do they fit a little wider than a dress shoe or the same? Thinking about picking up a pair.

Thanks much

I'd say the difference is more in the length than the width but I'm a novice with Alden lasts. I measure A on the Brannock and got Alden's version of the A on the Trubalance and it fits well with normal socks. There is enough room to put on a thicker pair of socks but I haven't tested just how thick. I don't know how the Trubalance would translate with a wider measurement.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
First wear of mine since last spring..

sh4d.jpg

Bartolo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
First wear of mine since last spring..

sh4d.jpg

Those look really great -- a pair is now on my horizon (dammit).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads