• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alden Indy boot creasing

pgkopf

Reaction score
I have a 7 year old pair of Alden Indy boots. They were my first pair of nice leather boots and I did not know proper shoe care at the time. Still, I knew enough to keep cedar trees in them when not wearing. I recently began using a cream polish on them about 6 months ago, every 10 wears or so. I love the boots and they are super comfortable, but there is noticeable creasing in the boots, particularly the toe and ankle of the left boot (pics attached). Is this type of creasing normal? Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_8189.jpeg
    IMG_8189.jpeg
    192.7 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_8190.jpeg
    IMG_8190.jpeg
    324.3 KB · Views: 289
  • IMG_8191.jpeg
    IMG_8191.jpeg
    304.5 KB · Views: 329

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t really know Indy boots other than appreciating them but I think if they are the chromexcel leather then that creasing looks fairly normal to me.

They look in good shape for 7 year old boots.

regular brushing should prevent the creases developing into cracks.

Ancestral Star

Reaction score
I don't have the answer per se, but you should post your question in the dedicated Alden thread. You'll guaranteed to get many answers:

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Creasing is normal. Creasing is also unpredictable as your foot, gait and the selection of hide will affect it

I see absolutely nothing unusual in what’s going on. They look like well worn and well taken care of boots. Keep wearing and enjoy.

Edited later for typo’s.

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That's called loose grain wrinkling. It happens when the leather is cut from certain parts of the hide (away from the spine). More common in some leathers than others; and more common among certain makers than others. For a workboot, I think it's fine, but the issue bothers some people.

Phoenician

Reaction score
That's called loose grain wrinkling. It happens when the leather is cut from certain parts of the hide (away from the spine). More common in some leathers than others; and more common among certain makers than others. For a workboot, I think it's fine, but the issue bothers some people.

Alden went cheap and cut pieces closer to the belly; more common with CXL leather, which is a reason I won't buy CXL boots like that; not a fan of how much they crease. and in regards to shoe care, CXL is one of the leather that need very little, so you're fine with not caring for them for a long time; they were going to look like that regardless. If you want something devoid of creases, get shell cordovan; or for fewer/finer creases, a superb quality calfskin or even suede doesn't show it anywhere near as much.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess I just don’t really care for work boots. I’m not a fan of the CXL leather. Even with boots, I still like a bit more refined look.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I’ve noticed this before but never understood the technical reason. Thanks.

pgkopf

Reaction score
Thank you for your comments. Good to know that this is normal for CXL leather. I will avoid this type of leather in the future.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All hide leather eventually creases, and after 7 years of wear, having creases is absolutely normal. Shell cordovan doesn't crease, it ripples, but really no shoe is going to avoid creasing in the long-term.

You literally cannot stop this from happening. The creases don't diminish the aesthetics of the boots, so sadly just have to deal with it, as it were, and realize it's part and parcel of owning shoes.

As much as us gentlemen might like a creaseless shoe it's impossible.

DG123

Reaction score
I have a 7 year old pair of Alden Indy boots. They were my first pair of nice leather boots and I did not know proper shoe care at the time. Still, I knew enough to keep cedar trees in them when not wearing. I recently began using a cream polish on them about 6 months ago, every 10 wears or so. I love the boots and they are super comfortable, but there is noticeable creasing in the boots, particularly the toe and ankle of the left boot (pics attached). Is this type of creasing normal? Thank you!

If the creases emerged and, or, became more prominent about the time you began applying shoe cream, I expect the shoe cream is a contributing factor.
In this photo my 8 year old Indy #405 boot (work boot leather) is on the left, and on the right, a brand new pair. Neither has much noticeable creasing. I don't apply and polish or cream to these boots.
IMG_9089.JPG

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads