Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Alden Hampton Last Sizing

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Douglas, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

I have read a few conflicting accounts on the Alden Hampton last. Some say true-to-size, some say order a 1/2 size smaller than usual. Other background info says to make sure shell cordovan shoes fit snugly at first, as they'll stretch and adapt to your feet once broken in.

I suppose I'm calling out again for all possible responses and thoughts. I normally wear a 10.5, but I've worn a few 10-equivalents in Euro sizing. I am looking at a pair of shell Aldens on the Hampton last only available in size 10, and wondering if they'll work. Thanks.

2. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

IMHO Hampton is a pretty neutral last and it fits my feet true.

3. LeatherSOUL

LeatherSOUL Senior member

4. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I have two pairs of Aldens on the Hampton last and they fit me better than any of my other Aldens. For me they fit true to size.

5. Skyler

Skyler Senior member

I have read a few conflicting accounts on the Alden Hampton last...

...with good reason. Though my foot measures a 9.5D, the only size I can wear in a Hampton is a 10.5C. A full 1 sizer larger and more narrow, which fits me beautifully.

But it was like pulling teeth to figure this out - several Alden pair bought and resold on Ebay before doing so. (For further comparison's sake, a 10D in Alden's Plaza last is a superb fit).

In the end, I decided to wait until a business trip took me to a place w/ a legitimate Alden dealer - in my case, San Francisco, where I was finally able to be fitted in the Hampton 10.5C.

And I'm glad I did: many of Alden's most traditional and elegant shoes are exclusively on the Hampton.

6. atct86

atct86 Senior member

I am about to purchase a 2nd pair on the Hampton Last in 10B/D, but always wondered why I in most Alden Loafers I am a 9 (Cape Cod Horse & Full Strap). My current Hampton 10 B/D has gotten a little loose, but has holes in the sole and need to be refurbished.

How much smaller would a Hampton 9.5 B/D be? Should I go with that, and have it stretch out?

7. benjamin831

benjamin831 Senior member

I have a full-brogue on the Hampton. I find that it runs pretty true to size, but a little on the wide side.

8. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I have a couple of pairs on the Hampton, and it runs true to size for me. They are my most comfortable Alden shoes.

9. Busa Dave

Busa Dave Senior member

I have a coupe as well--true to size!

10. atct86

atct86 Senior member

Does anybody have a shoe on the Hampton Last and the Aberdeen Last.

I seem to wear 10 B/D in Hampton, and I thought 9.5 B/D in the Aberdeen were too long. My heel was slipping.

Also, My shoes are marked 10 B/D does that mean they are a 10 B or a 10 D?

11. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

Does anybody have a shoe on the Hampton Last and the Aberdeen Last. I seem to wear 10 B/D in Hampton, and I thought 9.5 B/D in the Aberdeen were too long. My heel was slipping. Also, My shoes are marked 10 B/D does that mean they are a 10 B or a 10 D?
    Yes but I only have 1 example in Aberdeen, the monk. I wear 9.5 B/D in my Hampton laceups and 9 B/D in the Aberdeen monk. But, it's such a slight difference, I would probably go 9.5 B/D if I bought an Aberdeen without being able to try it on. D is the forefoot width, the primary width indicator

12. imolazhp_ci

imolazhp_ci Senior member

definitely true to size. i ordered a pair on the hampton last .5 size down as i do all alden's and they are VERY snug. i should have ordered my true size.

13. mcbrown

mcbrown Senior member

I have multiple pairs on each last, and in multiple sizes - I have had trouble getting the "perfect" size in both.

Heel slippage on the Aberdeen might not be due to excessive length, but to the shape of the heel. I find that the Aberdeen has a very wide heel width compared to the ball width. I have Aberdeen shoes in 10.5E, 10.5D and 10E. All of them felt fine on first fitting but feel a tiny bit "off" after extended wear.

I have Hampton shoes in 10.5D and 10.5E. E width is a bit too roomy in the toe box. D width scrunches my pinky toe. Heel is fine on both.

Of course feet are complicated three-dimensional objects, and RTW shoe sizes come with at most two degrees of freedom, so YMMV.