Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Alden Fit Question

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by johnw86, Nov 10, 2004.

1. johnw86

johnw86 Senior member

After hearing several of you talk highly of Alden, I'm keeping my eyes out for a pair on e-bay. I wonder though about sizing. Is it true Alden's run a hair big? (I usually wear 8.5 or 9, depending on the shoe.) Advice?

2. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

I find that mine fit a hair big. I wear an 11 in the following shoes: Polo Italian made; Moreschi. A 10.5 in: Grenson, Bruno Magli. And a 10 in: Purple Label by Edward Green, Brooks Brothers by Alden.

I'd say that the optimal size for my Aldens would be a 10.25. A 10.5 is a hair roomy, and since my left foot is smaller than my right, a 10.5 was just plain big on my left foot. The 10 fits well, and is comfortable, but a 10.25 would have been optimal.

For what it's worth, I've found that the Alden has great fit in the heel, so if you are worried about getting too small a shoe, order the "true to size" size -- even if it's a bit roomier in the toe area, I doubt you'll experience much slippage, if at all.

3. kabert

kabert Senior member

I've found they run pretty true to size (I've got 5 pairs of Aldens); however, some lasts do seem narrower/wider than others. For example, classic wingtips may be on a wider last than the more pointy-toed loafer. I have a wing tip boot in size 12-1/2C on a generously sized last that is quite roomy, whereas I have a (narrower) tassel loafer in 13C that is a perfect fit (not "roomy"). If I were you, I'd buy true to size.

4. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

Go to website (www.alden of carmel.com) hit alden of carmel catalogue, hit fitting information and you will find interesting data about the various alden lasts.

5. johnw86

johnw86 Senior member

Thanks for the tips. [​IMG]