1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Alden fit help

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by tanghy, Jun 23, 2011.

1. tanghy

tanghy Member

Hi there,

I don't live near a Alden dealer so I have to order them by mail. I'm wondering what size will fit me on the Barrie & Trubalace lasts? I already know that I have to size down 1/2 size lengthwise but I am unsure of the fitting width wise?

I usually wear 11E for normal shoes & 11.5E for running shoes. I have low (but not flat) arches as well.

Any help and advice will be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. kraftar

kraftar Senior member

Are you in the US? If so you might want to consider ordering some shoes from the shoe mart (www.theshoemart.com)... it's $7.99 to return them so it isn't free but it is cheaper than buying a pair of shoes that don't fit. Once you figure out the proper size for the Barrie & Trubalance lasts you can go ahead and buy what you want.

Given your information, I'd start off with an 10.5E, but wouldn't be shocked if a 10E or 10.5D would fit as well or better.

3. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Senior member

I find that I wear the same size in Converse Chuck Taylors as Alden Barrie, Trubalance, and Van lasts.

With running shoes, I find I am true to size (whatever that means anymore) and in "normal shoes" (not sure what that means) I size down a half size.

I write this in the hope that it helps you size your Alden shoe purchase.
    Which ones are you looking to procure?

Your friend,

Owen

PS: You may want to experiment on eBay before you pay full retail on a pair of Alden shoes that may prove to be ill-fitting. It sounds like you are as return-averse as I am.

4. tanghy

tanghy Member

Are you in the US? If so you might want to consider ordering some shoes from the shoe mart (www.theshoemart.com)... it's $7.99 to return them so it isn't free but it is cheaper than buying a pair of shoes that don't fit. Once you figure out the proper size for the Barrie & Trubalance lasts you can go ahead and buy what you want.

Given your information, I'd start off with an 10.5E, but wouldn't be shocked if a 10E or 10.5D would fit as well or better.

Thanks for your tip but I'm not in the US, which makes things really difficult. I rotate work between Singapore, Indonesia and Australia which does not really help either.

5. tanghy

tanghy Member

I find that I wear the same size in Converse Chuck Taylors as Alden Barrie, Trubalance, and Van lasts.

With running shoes, I find I am true to size (whatever that means anymore) and in "normal shoes" (not sure what that means) I size down a half size.

I write this in the hope that it helps you size your Alden shoe purchase.
    Which ones are you looking to procure?

Your friend,

Owen

PS: You may want to experiment on eBay before you pay full retail on a pair of Alden shoes that may prove to be ill-fitting. It sounds like you are as return-averse as I am.

I'm looking to get some longwings in the Barrie last or Indys in the Trubalance last. I do wonder if the 2 lasts differ in width and volume because ,as I've mentioned, I have low arches.

6. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Senior member

As I understand, the Barrie is their most democratic last. If you are worried about the Trubalance not fitting your feet, I'd go Barrie.

7. unclesam099

unclesam099 Senior member

I'm looking to get some longwings in the Barrie last or Indys in the Trubalance last. I do wonder if the 2 lasts differ in width and volume because ,as I've mentioned, I have low arches.

I am a 13D on the brannock device and wear 13D Nike running shoes. But with low arches, I fit an 11.5D in the Barrie. I might be the same or even 11.5C in the Trubalance since it looks so wide. I wear a 12D in the Grant last; and 11.5D in the Tremont.

You could use an insole insert or tongue pad if they're too large.

8. Islander

Islander Senior member

Are you in the US? If so you might want to consider ordering some shoes from the shoe mart (www.theshoemart.com)... it's $7.99 to return them so it isn't free but it is cheaper than buying a pair of shoes that don't fit. Once you figure out the proper size for the Barrie & Trubalance lasts you can go ahead and buy what you want. Given your information, I'd start off with an 10.5E, but wouldn't be shocked if a 10E or 10.5D would fit as well or better.
    Maybe Tassels if you are ever in Hong Kong... Or eBay

9. tanghy

tanghy Member

anyone else care to chime in?

10. commodorewheeler

commodorewheeler Senior member

anyone else care to chime in?

I think you should get yourself measured on a Brannock device. The sizing advice you get with a Brannock measurement will likely be far more accurate than what you get through a comparison with other brands and types of shoes.

In the US, just about every shoe store has a Brannock, though it is my understanding that they are a little less common in some other countries.

11. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

click the link in my sig "ALDEN SHOE SIZING GUIDE"