Alden factory seconds

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by FCS, Jan 3, 2004.

1. FCS

FCS Senior member

G'day, is there anyone here who has had an experience buying Alden factory seconds? There's one pair of dress shell cordovans I could mail-order and they said it has a 2.5" wrinkle around the top of ankle bone area, I believe it's on the left shoe. My guess is that the defect should be hidden when I'm wearing a trouser. The quoted price is USD $240 before shipping. Do you think it's something worthwhile or should I wait for better deals? There is no Alden in where I live and their shell cordovans rarely go on sale (from my observation anyways). One more thing, anyone familiar with their Aberdeen last? They have my E size but I'd like to check how narrow it is. These shoes here for example: http://www.aldenshop.com/DrawOneShoe.asp?CategoryID=107

2. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

I don't think it is a good idea to buy seconds (whether they are clothes, tableware or whatever) without having seen them. It is possible the wrinkle might be very tolerable and after a while will disappear when other creases show up, but it is also possible it is a nasty big thing and will always spoil your enjoyment of the shoes.

I think you must be able to see a "reject", hold it in your hand and decide whether or not you can live with the items imperfections.

That said Alden's "Aberdeen" last is rather narrow.

3. FCS

FCS Senior member

Thanks for the info. Does anyone know how much a typical Alden's shell cordovan oxford could go on sale?

Btw, I was told by the guy who sell the seconds that Alden is going to raise the prices of their shell cordovan oxfords by $20 this February.

4. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

The other day, I saw that the Alden-made shell cordovan shoes at Brooks Brothers were on sale for $298/pair. Other than that (and closeouts at Alden of Carmel), I don't think that I've ever seen them on sale.

5. jcusey

I'll echo what bengal-stripe has posted: shoe made on the Aberdeen last tend to run a bit narrow. Not Edward Green narrow, but narrower than other Alden lasts.

6. FCS

FCS Senior member

jcusey, do you know how much the original retail price for that one was ? Which model was it btw?

7. jcusey

The other day, I saw that the Alden-made shell cordovan shoes at Brooks Brothers were on sale for $298/pair.
    jcusey, do you know how much the original retail price for that one was ? Which model was it btw?
    It was on all the shell cordovan models that Brooks Brothers carries -- the ones that you see most are a cap-toe blucher and a plain-to blucher, but there are others from time to time. I think that the original retail price was around $400 for each.

8. Alias

Alias Senior member

There's a sale on the Brooks Brothers' website. Too bad their shoe sizes start at 8 D, and I wear a 7.5 E, and that's with plenty of wriggle room.

9. FCS

FCS Senior member

Anyone know which BB stores have deeper discount for shell cordovan shoes? I just called they NYC stores and they only have $50 off full retail prices.