Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Alden Cordovan Shell - cleaning issue

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by b3nder, Jul 30, 2014.

1. b3nder

b3nder New Member

Hello everybody

I recently got a nice pair of Alden cordovans (dark burgundy). When I got the shoes they were already shined. I was wearing them every 3rd day for about two weeks, and was brushing them as soon as I came home from the office. One day after light rain, I wiped them dry right after I came home.

After they dried (48 hours), I noticed small "stains" on the leather which felt also rough like dried out leather. I tried to brush the shoe and work on it with a deer bone and more brushing. However, the stains didn't seem to go away. I also tried to apply a small amount Alden's fine paste wax... without any satisfying result either.

I attached two photos of the spots on the shoe. Does one of you know how to get rid of those spots?

Thank you in advance

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. b3nder

b3nder New Member

3. SoGent

SoGent Senior member

those aren't stains . . . . they're welts from the rain.
    had the same problem with my first cordovan, which happened to be one of my favorite boots

all you need do is 'press' the welts out ( for lack of a better word ) using either an abbeyhorn sleeking bone or a spoon.

my experience - which some may disagree with - is to lubricate the sleeking bone / spoon with a tiny bit of saphir crème delicate. the only reason I mention that particular brand is that it is all I've ever used for this process. contrary to what some may say, the deer bone is crap - it's bulky and ineffective for the natural curvatures of a pair of shoes.

the more pressure the better because what you will actually be doing is re-compacting the shell fibers
    using a tiny bit of saphir as a lubricant more than anything. if you still encounter some discoloration, you can do the same thing with a tiny bit of cream polish in an appropriate color.

if you choose to use a spoon, make sure you don't drag the 'edge' of it across the leather or you will scratch what you've already done. if you choose to use cream polish . . . . tiny tiny amounts also known as using only what you need, you aren't trying to re-color the shoe.

take your time, keep at it, you'll be fine - it will lessen the appearance of the welts

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014

4. b3nder

b3nder New Member

Thanks for the hint. I will try the Abbeyhorn bone.

Is it normal for cordovan shell to be that fragile when it comes to water? Till now I thought that it can take water drops quite well...

Cheers

5. SoGent

SoGent Senior member

shell is notoriously susceptible to these welts from rain etc