• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alden Cordovan Longwings

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
Well, let's put it this way, the cordo longwings (in #8) are my only pair of Aldens that I wore enough to wear out ( still took over 15 years of 3 times a week). a great shoe and as i'm in the "bluchers with ***** are ok" crowd I wore them with "city" suits all the time. Need a new pair but will probably do Ravello this time . Tom- a 12C Please.
smile.gif

Personally, when given the choice I wear some really comfortable pink bunny slippers with my *****, but, like you, with suits I do like to wear some shoes that are a bit more rugged from time to time.

Originally Posted by Panzeraxe II
Why not get the Dinkelacker Janosh K Longwings instead?

http://www.heinrich-dinkelacker.de/d...e/janosh_k.pdf

Originally Posted by Soph
Order a Vass U or F last wingtip in Shell. Do a Double or Triple sole to get that clunk.

My feeling about these is that sometimes the classic version is really the best one. The same goes for Weston Hunt Derbys and other semi-iconic shoes. The others mentioned may be "nicer" shoes, but they are a different thing.

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
Need a new pair but will probably do Ravello this time . Tom- a 12C Please.
smile.gif

Yachtie-Ravello...I wish.
confused.gif

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jbryanb
The piece of leather is what makes them a wingtip, and the fact that it extends all the way down the shoe makes it a longwing.

Okay, the reason I ask is that the part that makes them a wingtip is longer than on most other wingtips, save for longwings.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
So, I went down to Alden San Francisco today and tried the shoes on.

San Fran seems like an odd place to have an Alden store. Yet they don't have one (anymore?) in Boston which I would have thought would be Alden central - given the weather and dress, broadly speaking.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
San Fran was once the second city of trad. The Alden store has been there since the '70s at least.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
San Fran was once the second city of trad. The Alden store has been there since the '70s at least.
What would have been the first city?

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Personally, when given the choice I wear some really comfortable pink bunny slippers with my *****, but, like you, with suits I do like to wear some shoes that are a bit more rugged from time to time.

The dangers of late nite posting.
blush.gif

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That I did not know - but I am still surprised that they've been able to stick around. I'm glad for it and proud of San Fran but I am surprised.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
What would have been the first city?
Bah-ston.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LSeca
I don't know if anyone has ever told you, but those are blobby and tired looking.

No, and yes this is the shape of my feet, sorry.

Originally Posted by LSeca
The weave-like leather tries to make them interesting but instead they look like a gaudy mess.

They are a typical style for the area, where I live and they reflect the heritage of their history. Named after Slatin Pasha.

I told you to stay with your Mantelassis and such. You didn't like. Ok, I'm fine then.

We have a different taste in shoes. For me JL and F-Last are sort of a gaudy mess. Anyway, who cares...

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cantabrigian
San Fran seems like an odd place to have an Alden store. Yet they don't have one (anymore?) in Boston which I would have thought would be Alden central - given the weather and dress, broadly speaking.

You know us thrifty New Englanders; once Alden's prices rose above $40, they became too expensive.
smile.gif
My father still thinks there's some sort of magical store where he can buy "tennis shoes" for $10.

In all seriousness, I love the shoe. It's a classic.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Bah-ston.

Before or after the Dunkin Donuts explosion?
teacha.gif

I think Matt really wants some Berlutis...this is all just an elaborate scheme to prevent his ordering a pair of Olga IIIs.
tounge.gif

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
+1.

Sigh, either you get it or you don't.

Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
Before or after the Dunkin Donuts explosion?
teacha.gif

I think Matt really wants some Berlutis...this is all just an elaborate scheme to prevent his ordering a pair of Olga IIIs.
tounge.gif

I wouldn't put those poncey fairy shoes on my feet if they were given to me
devil.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads