Alden Cordovan Longwings

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by itsstillmatt, Sep 15, 2007.

1. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Well, let's put it this way, the cordo longwings (in #8) are my only pair of Aldens that I wore enough to wear out ( still took over 15 years of 3 times a week). a great shoe and as i'm in the "bluchers with shits are ok" crowd I wore them with "city" suits all the time. Need a new pair but will probably do Ravello this time . Tom- a 12C Please.[​IMG]

Personally, when given the choice I wear some really comfortable pink bunny slippers with my shits, but, like you, with suits I do like to wear some shoes that are a bit more rugged from time to time.

Why not get the Dinkelacker Janosh K Longwings instead?

http://www.heinrich-dinkelacker.de/d...e/janosh_k.pdf

Order a Vass U or F last wingtip in Shell. Do a Double or Triple sole to get that clunk.

My feeling about these is that sometimes the classic version is really the best one. The same goes for Weston Hunt Derbys and other semi-iconic shoes. The others mentioned may be "nicer" shoes, but they are a different thing.

2. LeatherSOUL

LeatherSOUL Senior member

Need a new pair but will probably do Ravello this time . Tom- a 12C Please.[​IMG]

Yachtie-Ravello...I wish. [​IMG]

3. robin

robin Senior member

4. jml90

jml90 Senior member

The piece of leather is what makes them a wingtip, and the fact that it extends all the way down the shoe makes it a longwing.

Okay, the reason I ask is that the part that makes them a wingtip is longer than on most other wingtips, save for longwings.

5. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

So, I went down to Alden San Francisco today and tried the shoes on.

San Fran seems like an odd place to have an Alden store. Yet they don't have one (anymore?) in Boston which I would have thought would be Alden central - given the weather and dress, broadly speaking.

6. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

San Fran was once the second city of trad. The Alden store has been there since the '70s at least.

7. robin

robin Senior member

San Fran was once the second city of trad. The Alden store has been there since the '70s at least.
    What would have been the first city?

8. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

Personally, when given the choice I wear some really comfortable pink bunny slippers with my shits, but, like you, with suits I do like to wear some shoes that are a bit more rugged from time to time.

The dangers of late nite posting.[​IMG]

9. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

That I did not know - but I am still surprised that they've been able to stick around. I'm glad for it and proud of San Fran but I am surprised.

10. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

What would have been the first city?
    Bah-ston.

11. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

I don't know if anyone has ever told you, but those are blobby and tired looking.

No, and yes this is the shape of my feet, sorry.

The weave-like leather tries to make them interesting but instead they look like a gaudy mess.

They are a typical style for the area, where I live and they reflect the heritage of their history. Named after Slatin Pasha.

I told you to stay with your Mantelassis and such. You didn't like. Ok, I'm fine then.

We have a different taste in shoes. For me JL and F-Last are sort of a gaudy mess. Anyway, who cares...

12. JBZ

JBZ Senior member

San Fran seems like an odd place to have an Alden store. Yet they don't have one (anymore?) in Boston which I would have thought would be Alden central - given the weather and dress, broadly speaking.

You know us thrifty New Englanders; once Alden's prices rose above $40, they became too expensive. [​IMG] My father still thinks there's some sort of magical store where he can buy "tennis shoes" for $10.

In all seriousness, I love the shoe. It's a classic.

13. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

Order a Vass U or F last wingtip in Shell. Do a Double or Triple sole to get that clunk.

+1.

14. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

Bah-ston.

Before or after the Dunkin Donuts explosion? [​IMG]

I think Matt really wants some Berlutis...this is all just an elaborate scheme to prevent his ordering a pair of Olga IIIs. [​IMG]

15. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

+1.

Sigh, either you get it or you don't.

Before or after the Dunkin Donuts explosion? [​IMG]

I think Matt really wants some Berlutis...this is all just an elaborate scheme to prevent his ordering a pair of Olga IIIs. [​IMG]

I wouldn't put those poncey fairy shoes on my feet if they were given to me [​IMG] .