Alden Cordovan Longwings

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by itsstillmatt, Sep 15, 2007.

1. kali77

kali77 Senior member

the popular experience is they run ½ size larger

so a US 9 would get them in 8½

Thanks. Figures they are out of 8 1/2[​IMG]

2. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

That site looks like it's ready to shut down or something. The only shoes they have left are Aldens and all models are on deep discount.

3. Hard2Fit

Hard2Fit Senior member

hell I took a shot. $325 with free shipping and no salestax sure is hard to pass up, and I was bound to get these sooner or later. The site didnt seem sketchy, not sure what set off the red flags for you Hard2Fit?

A pretty generic site, prices far lower than any other online Alden seller, no other stock despite other category and brand listings (google ads pop up when I select AE, CH, JM, etc.), and suspicious security warnings when I move through checkout process. There's also an extensive thread on AAAC concerning members failed attempts to contact the store:
    (http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...ad.php?t=73939

I will admit I'm a little paranoid at times about the internet and financial/personal information.

4. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

this little bit posted by Leathersole is encouraging eh

"The store in question was an Alden dealer but has since closed down. The owner is trying to sell off his inventory remaining so there's deals to be had. Just thought I'd let everyone know."

It does seem like he doesnt have a storefront anymore and can't do credit card payments unless it's by Paypal, which isn't un-natural.

5. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

as soon as someone here for AAAC posts about actually getting his shoes without issues, I'll def be breathing a sigh of relief [​IMG]

6. Hard2Fit

Hard2Fit Senior member

as soon as someone here for AAAC posts about actually getting his shoes without issues, I'll def be breathing a sigh of relief [​IMG]

+1. My paypal payment has been accepted but I have yet to receive an email confirmation of my order. Also, I tried to email the store (email address on paypal account) and received a delivery failure message. I finally submitted an email through the website. No response yet. Obviously, this is may not be unusual if it is in fact just one dude selling old shoes out of his basement. I would just like to have received some form of correspondence.

7. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

It's def too early to worry, but I figure if I don't recieve/hear anything in 2 weeks it'll be time to file a paypal claim if they never respond.

The fact that some Andyites got a phonecall from a fellow regarding their incompleted transaction is also a good sign that we'll all eventually get our shoes. *fingers crossed*

8. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

I love the way a forum that was drooling over the EG 888 a year ago is now gaga for Alden. Do we need to start a trad forum at SF? [​IMG]

I have no long wings, but I have AE Cambridges (wing-tip bals) in #8 cordovan. I'm quite fond of them. But there's no denying that at $500 or more, much of the detailing and craftsmanship found on other brands at or near that price range is not in evidence. There's a place for them, but I've never been able to bring myself to spend $500 for any Alden shoe. The lasts are undistinguished, the shapes blobby, the styles so standard as to have become cliche.

Now, I recognize that the cliche is part of the appeal in this little reverie. As the predictions about hipsters adopting them make clear, there's an element of irony in choosing to break out the gunboats (unless you hang out in AAAC's irony-free zone). But at half a grand, it's an expensive way to wink at the past.

9. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

I love the way a forum that was drooling over the EG 888 a year ago is now gaga for Alden. Do we need to start a trad forum at SF? [​IMG]
    You gots to get with the program. FWIW, I never liked EGs, although I did spend a bit of money trying to keep up. Never satisfied in the long run.

10. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

You gots to get with the program.

FWIW, I never liked EGs, although I did spend a bit of money trying to keep up. Never satisfied in the long run.

Hey, I've got my cordovan wingtips (albeit not longwings). I was with the program before burgundy was the new the brown. I'm just find it entertaining to see everyone suddenly gaga over "old-man" shoes. I even clicked on the link of the dodgy seller and asked myself, "Can I fit into the 12Ds? 300 is a good price..."

11. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

Now, I recognize that the cliche is part of the appeal in this little reverie. As the predictions about hipsters adopting them make clear, there's an element of irony in choosing to break out the gunboats (unless you hang out in AAAC's irony-free zone). But at half a grand, it's an expensive way to wink at the past.
    You can always go for the classic Florsheim “Kenmoor”.
    I got those on eBay a few months ago and I paid something like $ 35.00.
    They come up all the time for auction (in various stages of preservation).

There is a cheap way, to wink at the past.

[​IMG]

12. jml90

jml90 Senior member

You can always go for the classic Florsheim “Kenwood”
    Kenmoor.

13. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

Kenmoor.
    I stand corrected.

14. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

You got those for 35 bucks??? Please, please tell me they aren't US8.5E or 9D.

15. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

I've found Kenmoors to be better constructed than AE, and from those pics a few pages back, possibly better than Alden as well.

Still, you can't compare $500 retail Aldens to $500 EGs which were bought at half off. Aldens probably go down to about $200-300 on sale. I stopped by today and they have several sale models $199-265. No cordovan today but I have seen shell on sale there before for $380.