• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alden compared to Allen Edmonds

ProfessorShak

Reaction score
I've been looking a few suede wingtips to go with my business casual, jeans, khakis.
Based on the styles, I've decided on Alden and Allen Edmonds. Which would be my first purchase from one of these two companies
The price difference however is $75 after tax.
They both have a great design that I'm looking for and even though I like Alden, is the $75 difference noticable (construction, material, etc...)
904.jpg
ALDEN

8625.jpg
AE

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any difference is mostly psychological. Here's my personal journey when it comes to AE vs. Alden.

I used to love AE, purchased many pairs, thought it was the best value shoe out there (still is). I though Alden was basically AE that rarely goes on sale.

Only truly discernable difference between the two is in the heel. AE uses 360 degree welt, where the welt encompasses the heel, making it look big. Alden does not.

Anyway, I think it has more to do with Alden never going on sale, thus giving the illusion/perception of being "better". Other may argue about the little finishing details here and there but to me, they are truly insignificant.

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Metal shanks v. no metal shanks.

Siggy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Christofuh
Metal shanks v. no metal shanks.

Bah, what does a metal shank do anyway? All it did in one of my Aldens was poke out of the freakin sole after several years.

That said, the sole looks cut closer to the shoe upper on those Aldens pictured, which is why I would prefer the Aldens.

kasper007

Reaction score
don't know about this particular shoe, but many AE have full rubber heel which i hate (i really like the sound of wood when i walk) and feel look cheapish so i would definetely pay the extra $75 just for that.

On a more general note, i haven't seen that many Alden models and mostly the better (read more expensive ones) and i felt they were without a doubt far superior to AE, but then, they were 2x+ the price...

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kasper007
don't know about this particular shoe, but many AE have full rubber heel which i hate (i really like the sound of wood when i walk) and feel look cheapish so i would definetely pay the extra $75 just for that.

On a more general note, i haven't seen that many Alden models and mostly the better (read more expensive ones) and i felt they were without a doubt far superior to AE, but then, they were 2x+ the price...

The heels aren't made of wood, douchebag. Unless you're wearing Dutch clogs.

ProfessorShak

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Siggy
Bah, what does a metal shank do anyway? All it did in one of my Aldens was poke out of the freakin sole after several years.

That said, the sole looks cut closer to the shoe upper on those Aldens pictured, which is why I would prefer the Aldens.

The AE is the "Cambridge" with a full brogue style and a double oak leather sole

The Alden has Hampton Last with Single oak leather outsoles

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
E uses ground up and formed leather for its heels. Alden uses skins. Also AE has too much rocker for my gait. I've had both and settled on Alden.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Put a free Alden vs. AE in front of me, I would choose Alden _every single time_. I cannot stress this enough that on a quality level, Aldens are noticeably better, however slightly, across the board.

That said, in the real world, Aldens cost 2x AE. You will have to decide for yourself whether they are worth it. I have never bought either brand at full retail, ever.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Alden doesn't skive its cordovan, or does so inadequately. I had a revelation to that effect recently, and started working on a post, complete with pictures, to illustrate my point. But it's a deal breaker for me on their cordovan (except perhaps for a pair of longwings, should I ever acquire a pair). And their calf does not strike me as good value.

Siggy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
douchebag

What's with all the douchebags being thrown around? Yeah, ok, the soles and heels are leather.

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
Put a free Alden vs. AE in front of me, I would choose Alden _every single time_. I cannot stress this enough that on a quality level, Aldens are noticeably better, however slightly, across the board.

That said, in the real world, Aldens cost 2x AE. You will have to decide for yourself whether they are worth it. I have never bought either brand at full retail, ever.

??

But I agree, I'd choose Alden every time. I doubt I'll buy another maker's shoes again. EG are too rich for my blood anymore.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Siggy
What's with all the douchebags being thrown around? Yeah, ok, the soles and heels are leather.

It's an SF term of endearment. Like "sweetie." Except "sweetie" would expose our vulnerable, feminine side. While "douchebag" allows us to vent our misogyny and fear and loathing of that female place.

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Search for used Aldens and AEs on ebay. I've always thought the Alden's age better but it could be that Alden owners just take better care. Case in point, I've never seen an older AE look this good:

alden911.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads