• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Alden compared to Allen Edmonds

ProfessorShak

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 23, 2008
Messages
353
Reaction score
3
I've been looking a few suede wingtips to go with my business casual, jeans, khakis.
Based on the styles, I've decided on Alden and Allen Edmonds. Which would be my first purchase from one of these two companies
The price difference however is $75 after tax.
They both have a great design that I'm looking for and even though I like Alden, is the $75 difference noticable (construction, material, etc...)
ALDEN

AE
 

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 19, 2006
Messages
8,106
Reaction score
85
Any difference is mostly psychological. Here's my personal journey when it comes to AE vs. Alden.

I used to love AE, purchased many pairs, thought it was the best value shoe out there (still is). I though Alden was basically AE that rarely goes on sale.

Only truly discernable difference between the two is in the heel. AE uses 360 degree welt, where the welt encompasses the heel, making it look big. Alden does not.

Anyway, I think it has more to do with Alden never going on sale, thus giving the illusion/perception of being "better". Other may argue about the little finishing details here and there but to me, they are truly insignificant.
 

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 6, 2006
Messages
2,929
Reaction score
1
Metal shanks v. no metal shanks.
 

Siggy

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2006
Messages
505
Reaction score
2
Originally Posted by Christofuh
Metal shanks v. no metal shanks.

Bah, what does a metal shank do anyway? All it did in one of my Aldens was poke out of the freakin sole after several years.

That said, the sole looks cut closer to the shoe upper on those Aldens pictured, which is why I would prefer the Aldens.
 

kasper007

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2008
Messages
228
Reaction score
38
don't know about this particular shoe, but many AE have full rubber heel which i hate (i really like the sound of wood when i walk) and feel look cheapish so i would definetely pay the extra $75 just for that.

On a more general note, i haven't seen that many Alden models and mostly the better (read more expensive ones) and i felt they were without a doubt far superior to AE, but then, they were 2x+ the price...
 

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Mar 31, 2006
Messages
10,883
Reaction score
49
Originally Posted by kasper007
don't know about this particular shoe, but many AE have full rubber heel which i hate (i really like the sound of wood when i walk) and feel look cheapish so i would definetely pay the extra $75 just for that.

On a more general note, i haven't seen that many Alden models and mostly the better (read more expensive ones) and i felt they were without a doubt far superior to AE, but then, they were 2x+ the price...


The heels aren't made of wood, douchebag. Unless you're wearing Dutch clogs.
 

ProfessorShak

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 23, 2008
Messages
353
Reaction score
3
Originally Posted by Siggy
Bah, what does a metal shank do anyway? All it did in one of my Aldens was poke out of the freakin sole after several years.

That said, the sole looks cut closer to the shoe upper on those Aldens pictured, which is why I would prefer the Aldens.


The AE is the "Cambridge" with a full brogue style and a double oak leather sole

The Alden has Hampton Last with Single oak leather outsoles
 

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 11, 2006
Messages
4,553
Reaction score
21
E uses ground up and formed leather for its heels. Alden uses skins. Also AE has too much rocker for my gait. I've had both and settled on Alden.
 

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2006
Messages
7,219
Reaction score
33
Put a free Alden vs. AE in front of me, I would choose Alden _every single time_. I cannot stress this enough that on a quality level, Aldens are noticeably better, however slightly, across the board.

That said, in the real world, Aldens cost 2x AE. You will have to decide for yourself whether they are worth it. I have never bought either brand at full retail, ever.
 

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Mar 31, 2006
Messages
10,883
Reaction score
49
Alden doesn't skive its cordovan, or does so inadequately. I had a revelation to that effect recently, and started working on a post, complete with pictures, to illustrate my point. But it's a deal breaker for me on their cordovan (except perhaps for a pair of longwings, should I ever acquire a pair). And their calf does not strike me as good value.
 

Siggy

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2006
Messages
505
Reaction score
2
Originally Posted by grimslade
douchebag


What's with all the douchebags being thrown around? Yeah, ok, the soles and heels are leather.
 

Brad

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 19, 2006
Messages
2,297
Reaction score
3
Originally Posted by Tarmac
Put a free Alden vs. AE in front of me, I would choose Alden _every single time_. I cannot stress this enough that on a quality level, Aldens are noticeably better, however slightly, across the board.

That said, in the real world, Aldens cost 2x AE. You will have to decide for yourself whether they are worth it. I have never bought either brand at full retail, ever.


??

But I agree, I'd choose Alden every time. I doubt I'll buy another maker's shoes again. EG are too rich for my blood anymore.
 

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Mar 31, 2006
Messages
10,883
Reaction score
49
Originally Posted by Siggy
What's with all the douchebags being thrown around? Yeah, ok, the soles and heels are leather.

It's an SF term of endearment. Like "sweetie." Except "sweetie" would expose our vulnerable, feminine side. While "douchebag" allows us to vent our misogyny and fear and loathing of that female place.
 

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2006
Messages
1,272
Reaction score
53
Search for used Aldens and AEs on ebay. I've always thought the Alden's age better but it could be that Alden owners just take better care. Case in point, I've never seen an older AE look this good:

 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 32 3.8%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 144 17.1%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 278 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 132 15.7%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 71 8.4%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 49 5.8%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 25 3.0%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 22 2.6%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 17 2.0%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 8 1.0%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 9 1.1%
  • 100+

    Votes: 54 6.4%

Related Threads

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
429,234
Messages
9,230,921
Members
193,766
Latest member
salvpi
Top