• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alden Chukka Boots for cold winter?

ELG

Reaction score
I am traveling from California to chicago pretty soon, and it promises to be ghastly cold there. I am considering getting some Cordovan Shell chukka boots for the trip, hoping they will be a warmer option that my loafer, and they can handle some bad weather. Do you all think they can handle the trip, or should I go with something less fashionable? Thank you all in advance.

ktrp

Reaction score
They will not help with warmth.

They provide marginally higher protection for your feet against slush.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't understand the obsession with foot warmth (lets call it uggism). Do your feet get cold in your current life? The only time when my feet were cold were when I was in grade school and I had to walk to the bus stop at 7 am for 1/2 mile and wait for 15 minutes in 0 degree F weather. I could have used some goretex Conistons then instead of my Nike Air Max Lights.

Do adults walk more than 15 minutes through unshoveled snow? If not, do your feet shiver every day walking in 30 degree weather? Mine don't. My face is cold, my feet are not.

If the only shoes you own are some loafers, and you need to walk a mile to work in Chicago (does anyone in the entire city of Chicago do that??), then yes you need something else. Otherwise, no.

ELG

Reaction score
KTRP: what would you recommend?

jasperjasper

Reaction score
I don't suggest subjecting cordovan shell to the salt that may be used on sidewalks during the winter. I've purchased a pair of Alden cap toe boots in tobacco chamois with a commando sole for expressly this purpose, the chamois being a more durable (yet not waterproof) option.

With regard to temperature, I find the quality of socks worn to be of more importance than specific shoe leather as there is little variance in the temperature rating between standard leathers on offer. The Alden chukkas on a Barrie last provide ample room for substantial knit socks to be worn.

If your heart is set on the chukkas, a version rendered in Kudu leather with a commando sole, if you can source them, may be a suitable option.

ELG

Reaction score
Pebblegrain: I have never been in weather this cold before, so I wanted to prepare. I already overcoats, hat's, etc. but no shoes for cold weather. The only non oxfords I have is one pair of loafers and tennis shoes. I felt needed something new for this trip, and I figured cordovan would be warmer.

Reaction score
Good advice so far. I own a lot of Alden shell shoes and boots, and I agree they are not the best for snowy, cold, slushy, salty conditions.
I just remind you that 70% of your body's heat escapes from your head and neck. Find some weatherproof shoes or boots and a good hat and scarf.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
I don't understand the obsession with foot warmth (lets call it uggism). Do your feet get cold in your current life? The only time when my feet were cold were when I was in grade school and I had to walk to the bus stop at 7 am for 1/2 mile and wait for 15 minutes in 0 degree F weather. I could have used some goretex Conistons then instead of my Nike Air Max Lights. Do adults walk more than 15 minutes through unshoveled snow? If not, do your feet shiver every day walking in 30 degree weather? Mine don't. My face is cold, my feet are not. If the only shoes you own are some loafers, and you need to walk a mile to work in Chicago (does anyone in the entire city of Chicago do that??), then yes you need something else. Otherwise, no.
Poorly worded advice. The answer is to buy a pair of weather-proof winter boots if you are going to be exposed to sub zero weather for any prolonged period of time.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 89826
I own a lot of Alden shell shoes and boots, and I agree they are not the best for snowy, cold, slushy, salty conditions.
I just remind you that 70% of your body's heat escapes from your head and neck. Find some weatherproof shoes or boots and a good hat and scarf.

This.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
I don't understand the obsession with foot warmth (lets call it uggism). Do your feet get cold in your current life? The only time when my feet were cold were when I was in grade school and I had to walk to the bus stop at 7 am for 1/2 mile and wait for 15 minutes in 0 degree F weather. I could have used some goretex Conistons then instead of my Nike Air Max Lights. Do adults walk more than 15 minutes through unshoveled snow? If not, do your feet shiver every day walking in 30 degree weather? Mine don't. My face is cold, my feet are not. If the only shoes you own are some loafers, and you need to walk a mile to work in Chicago (does anyone in the entire city of Chicago do that??), then yes you need something else. Otherwise, no.
I was caught without my snow boots last Monday and ended up walking through slush from my car to the office and then to a nearby restaurant and back to the office. Although I was outside less than 10 minutes total, water soaked through the leather soles of my shoes and, yes, my feet were cold. I have a pair of shell cordovan RL MacCallum chukka boots for weather like this. They have Dainite soles and a storm welt to keep my feet warm and dry (I highly recommend a storm welt). For deeper snow, I have a similar pair of high boots, but with gusseted tongues that were a special order from Martegani. The high boots take a nice shine and really look like dress shoes, since my trousers cover most of the laces.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I own a pair of Alden Shell Cordovan Chukkas for winter weather. The high sides of the Chukka protect from the cold wind better than a loafer, so my ankles certainly remain warmer. Shell is also especially resilient to snow and slush in my experience.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wear Alden shell high boots in snowy weather. However, if I have formal business occasions then I place rubber overshoes over my dress shoes.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried these shoes on and i believe they were listed at $400+ retail, obviously you can get them for less but I wasn't soooo blown away. For a purchase like that the shoe needs to whipe my butt...

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LOL

those will only keep rocks out of your shoes...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads