• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alden -> C&J sizing

PuppetBoy

Reaction score
I know this sort of question is frequently asked, and I have searched and read several threads on sizing across brands... that said...

I would like to take the step from Alden to a C&J Handgrade (from plal), but would like some notion of confidence in the size I order. Colorado isn't a haven for nice shoes, but if you're after Ecco or Timberland we've got you covered
eh.gif

I comfortably wear 10 B/D in Alden's Aberdeen and Hampton lasts (lace-up), and I would like to know what would be recommended for a C&J lace-up on the 330 or 337 lasts -- such as the Whitehall or Belgrave.

thanks for your assistance,
/richard

Jerry52

Reaction score
I can't help you with your actual question, but do you realize that there ARE a couple of nice shoe stores in the Denver area? Scarpaletto comes to mind, and if you visit the John Lobb website, I think they (highly regarded English shoe) have a store representing them in Denver. Also, I think that both Nordstrom and Neiman-Marcus have stores there. Although Nordstrom is a department store, they originated from their shoe background...I don't live in Colorado but these comments are from my own research as I'm shopping for upscale shoes myself.

rajesh06

Reaction score
I am also a 10B/D in Aldens and a 9.5E in C&J on the 341 last. I am guessing I might be a 9 on the 337 though.

Leaveitothexperts

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PuppetBoy
I know this sort of question is frequently asked, and I have searched and read several threads on sizing across brands... that said...

I would like to take the step from Alden to a C&J Handgrade (from plal), but would like some notion of confidence in the size I order. Colorado isn't a haven for nice shoes, but if you're after Ecco or Timberland we've got you covered
eh.gif

I comfortably wear 10 B/D in Alden's Aberdeen and Hampton lasts (lace-up), and I would like to know what would be recommended for a C&J lace-up on the 330 or 337 lasts -- such as the Whitehall or Belgrave.

thanks for your assistance,
/richard

I am not sure I understand? You wear a B and D width comfortably? There is, I believe, a 6mm difference in those widths . . . . I am sure I am missing something?

If it helps, I wear a 9D/M in most US sizes and I have to wear a 8E on the 337 last, so general rule is one size down and one letter width up for 337s . . . There are some forumites who feel 1/2 size down is appropriate . . .

Btw, congratulations on your choice for Belgrave, you will enjoy it . . . .

PuppetBoy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jerry52
...there ARE a couple of nice shoe stores in the Denver area? Scarpaletto comes to mind, and if you visit the John Lobb website, I think they (highly regarded English shoe) have a store representing them in Denver. Also, I think that both Nordstrom and Neiman-Marcus have stores there....

Thanks, I'll follow-up on Scarpaletto and the JL website. I do frequent one of the Nordstrom's, and they carry AE, Ferragamo, Santoni, etc., though I'm rather interested in some C&J at this time.

There are also Homer Reed men's stores that carry AE, and occassionally have Alden trunk shows.

/richard

PuppetBoy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Leaveitothexperts
I am not sure I understand? You wear a B and D width comfortably? There is, I believe, a 6mm difference in those widths . . . . I am sure I am missing something?

Alden sizes their shoes with heel/width, so B is the heel, D is the width.

If it helps, I wear a 9D/M in most US sizes and I have to wear a 8E on the 337 last, so general rule is one size down and one letter width up for 337s . . . There are some forumites who feel 1/2 size down is appropriate . . .

Btw, congratulations on your choice for Belgrave, you will enjoy it . . . .
Thanks, this does help.

/richard

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads