• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alden boots size,thanks

joseanes

Reaction score
I have similar boots, from Alden... but in the CapToe version. The burgundy one is 9E, while the black one is 9D. I use Tennis Shoe size 9D and dress shoe 9E normally.
Both the 9E and the 9D boots fit well. The 9D is snuggier, but comfortable. I think Alden boots fit a bit wider than their shoes - maybe they where expecting thicker socks. The black 9D has a commando sole and looks clunkier, while the 9E burgundy has a double/triple leather sole and looks a bit more elegant.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it's a huge mistake to buy such shoes without trying on, esp. for the first time. all feets are different. one man's snug is another man's loose. individual shoes can vary a bit in the same model and on the same last. it can also take days, weeks, or months to come to the conclusion that the fit is not so good for you.

either you are willing to experiment and learn by trial and error, and willing to buy shoes that you don't wear much (and perhaps resell as used), or get to a store with the shoes you want and buy your first pair after a proper fitting. once you get to know how you fit in a certain maker and last, then buying online becomes a less risky thing to do.

my two cents

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I bought the boot from Alden of Carmel and enjoy it tremendously. I recommend that you communicate with Adam about the size. He's very helpful and can advise you.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by joseanes
I have similar boots, from Alden... but in the CapToe version. The burgundy one is 9E, while the black one is 9D. I use Tennis Shoe size 9D and dress shoe 9E normally.
Both the 9E and the 9D boots fit well. The 9D is snuggier, but comfortable. I think Alden boots fit a bit wider than their shoes - maybe they where expecting thicker socks. The black 9D has a commando sole and looks clunkier, while the 9E burgundy has a double/triple leather sole and looks a bit more elegant.

to add to the Everybody-Is-Different opinion, I find it inconceivable that your dress shoe size could be larger than your athletic shoe size. I wear 10.5 almost across the board for sneakers, and 9.5 across the board for dress shoes.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Barrie is a very big last. I wear a 12D in almost all Alden lasts except Barrie and have to drop to a C width. If all you're wearing is sneakers, you REALLY have to try a shoe on having that last before you take the plunge on these.

bigbjorn

Reaction score
I have Barrie-lasted chukkas. I usually wear a 9.5-10E, and the boots are 9E. They fit, but the volume of that last is huge. I have high-volume feet, so it works for me, but I think they're nearly a whole size larger than marked for most folks.

Vidi

Reaction score
The Barrie runs between a half size and a full size larger than it's listed at, in my limited experience. I have a pair of Barrie-lasted longwings that's listed half a size smaller than I normally wear in Allen Edmonds and Red Wings, and I needed to add an insole to snug them up. I picked mine up as a store was going out of business, and they ended up being a gateway drug; I've got a pair of 405s on order, and am about to place an order for wingtips similar to the ones you're looking at but on the plaza last. A couple of years ago I considered the two pairs of Red Wings I bought an indulgence. How things change.

Enjoy
smile.gif

jmonroestyle

Reaction score
At the J Gilbert trunk show I did a size analysis of the Barrie last compared to other Alden lasts such as the Copley, and the Plaza. I found the arch length of the last (the distance from the heel to the widest part of the shoe) where one's ball of the foot should ideally be, is about the same on the Barrie, as it is on the other Alden lasts. The big difference in length on the Barrie is from the ball area forward through the toe area. Common fitting wisdom is to size down 1/2 size on the Barrie last. However, this does not work for everyone. If one's foot has a long arch length measurement (heel to ball) then one's ball of the foot may end up sitting forward of the widest part of the shoe, if one sizes down 1/2 size when fitting the Barrie last.

I did find the Barrie somewhat generous in volume. However, I did not find a huge amount more volume when compared to other Alden lasts.

Anyway fit is always subjective, and I like my shoes to fit way toward the loose end of the spectrum, so generally with shoe lasts, some extra volume is usually a good thing (in my case).

Jess

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads