• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alden Blucher v. Balmoral

HEPennypacker

Reaction score
I'm going to stop by the local Alden store today to view and possibly purchase some #8 shell cordovan shoes before the price increase that will supposedly go into effect later this month. In thinking about the purchase, I'm wondering why the forum favorite is the longwing blucher:

975.jpg

over the wingtip balmoral:

974.jpg

Is this just aesthetic/personal preference, or is there some sort of logic behind the preference (aside from the blucher = informal, bal = more formal distinction).

david3558

Reaction score
For certain individuals the choice is because of the fit or feel. For me, I tend to like balmorals better simply because I have a low arch & instep, I fit in most balmorals nicely and they look perfect with the two sides closed up. Bluchers can allow more comfrot for someone with a higher instep; however, on me, the sides can get pulled very close because of my lower instep, especially on a last like the Barrie (which happens to have a high instep).

shasta

Reaction score
I have both. The Balmoral has a slimmer profile and will be better for wearing to the office (suits, trousers, and khakis). Because of the slim profile, I wouldn't reccomend it for wear with Jeans.

The Longwing can also be worn in a business formal setting, but would be much easier to wear with Jeans or casual pants.

So I'd actually say the Blucher is a little more versatile if you're looking for an all around workhorse shoe.

HEPennypacker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shasta
I have both. The Balmoral has a slimmer profile and will be better for wearing to the office (suits, trousers, and khakis). Because of the slim profile, I wouldn't reccomend it for wear with Jeans. The Longwing can also be worn in a business formal setting, but would be much easier to wear with Jeans or casual pants. So I'd actually say the Blucher is a little more versatile if you're looking for an all around workhorse shoe.
Hm I wonder if it might come down to this for me. The shoe will primarily be an office shoe, and aesthetically, I think I like the balmoral a bit better. But I do like some of the pairings I see of the longwings and jeans/casual pants...

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I love both these shoes. Which you prefer is entirely your preference. I don't think there's any meaningful difference in formality between the two. Both can easily be worn in business settings, the longwing just might have some more versatility in casual situations.

My suggestion is to go into the store, try both on, and choose whichever fits you best. These shoes, while somewhat aesthetically similar, are on two different lasts. Choose whichever is more comfortable.

For reference, the Bal is on the Tremont last, and the Blucher is on the Barrie last.

LanceW

Reaction score
I find cordovan to be a casual material best suited for the LWB. Also, I believe Alden makes the nicest LWB as it is an American shoe. For a balmoral, you can head across the pond and and find much nicer shoes at higher expense.

For me, it would be an easy choice for the LWB (best of class).

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I prefer the blucher for casual wear and the balmoral for suits.

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LanceW
I find cordovan to be a casual material best suited for the LWB. Also, I believe Alden makes the nicest LWB as it is an American shoe. For a balmoral, you can head across the pond and and find much nicer shoes at higher expense.

For me, it would be an easy choice for the LWB (best of class).

+1. Shell develops big rolling creases that look fine on casual shoes but are out of place with bals, which should be sleek and smooth. Better to stick with good quality calf for bals.

HEPennypacker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orgetorix
+1. Shell develops big rolling creases that look fine on casual shoes but are out of place with bals, which should be sleek and smooth. Better to stick with good quality calf for bals.

Interesting point. I hadn't really thought about the creasing.

HEPennypacker

Reaction score
Well I just came back from the store and SF groupthink prevailed
devil.gif
. But seriously, I tried on both the longwing and the balmoral, and the longwing did fit better because I'm a 13.5/14, and the 13D Barrie last had a bit more room. They really were quite comfortable, in fact. I was tempted to wear them out the store, but I did not want to disrespect my AE Park Avenues
laugh.gif

Thanks to all for the advice. Now to keep any eye out for loose stitching...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics