1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Alden Blucher v. Balmoral

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HEPennypacker, Feb 17, 2011.

1. HEPennypacker

HEPennypacker Senior member

I'm going to stop by the local Alden store today to view and possibly purchase some #8 shell cordovan shoes before the price increase that will supposedly go into effect later this month. In thinking about the purchase, I'm wondering why the forum favorite is the longwing blucher:

[​IMG]

over the wingtip balmoral:

[​IMG]

Is this just aesthetic/personal preference, or is there some sort of logic behind the preference (aside from the blucher = informal, bal = more formal distinction).

2. pvrhye

pvrhye Senior member

Balmoral feels a bit more versatile to me. They also differ in that only one of the two you show here are longwings, but you probably already know that.

3. david3558

david3558 Senior member

For certain individuals the choice is because of the fit or feel. For me, I tend to like balmorals better simply because I have a low arch & instep, I fit in most balmorals nicely and they look perfect with the two sides closed up. Bluchers can allow more comfrot for someone with a higher instep; however, on me, the sides can get pulled very close because of my lower instep, especially on a last like the Barrie (which happens to have a high instep).

4. shasta

shasta Senior member

I have both. The Balmoral has a slimmer profile and will be better for wearing to the office (suits, trousers, and khakis). Because of the slim profile, I wouldn't reccomend it for wear with Jeans.

The Longwing can also be worn in a business formal setting, but would be much easier to wear with Jeans or casual pants.

So I'd actually say the Blucher is a little more versatile if you're looking for an all around workhorse shoe.

5. pvrhye

pvrhye Senior member

My inclination is that the longwing looks a little informal with a suit, but I tend to see broguing as kinda informal looking to begin with.

6. HEPennypacker

I have both. The Balmoral has a slimmer profile and will be better for wearing to the office (suits, trousers, and khakis). Because of the slim profile, I wouldn't reccomend it for wear with Jeans. The Longwing can also be worn in a business formal setting, but would be much easier to wear with Jeans or casual pants. So I'd actually say the Blucher is a little more versatile if you're looking for an all around workhorse shoe.
    Hm I wonder if it might come down to this for me. The shoe will primarily be an office shoe, and aesthetically, I think I like the balmoral a bit better. But I do like some of the pairings I see of the longwings and jeans/casual pants...

7. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

I love both these shoes. Which you prefer is entirely your preference. I don't think there's any meaningful difference in formality between the two. Both can easily be worn in business settings, the longwing just might have some more versatility in casual situations.

My suggestion is to go into the store, try both on, and choose whichever fits you best. These shoes, while somewhat aesthetically similar, are on two different lasts. Choose whichever is more comfortable.

For reference, the Bal is on the Tremont last, and the Blucher is on the Barrie last.

8. LanceW

LanceW Senior member

I find cordovan to be a casual material best suited for the LWB. Also, I believe Alden makes the nicest LWB as it is an American shoe. For a balmoral, you can head across the pond and and find much nicer shoes at higher expense.

For me, it would be an easy choice for the LWB (best of class).

9. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I prefer the blucher for casual wear and the balmoral for suits.

10. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

I find cordovan to be a casual material best suited for the LWB. Also, I believe Alden makes the nicest LWB as it is an American shoe. For a balmoral, you can head across the pond and and find much nicer shoes at higher expense.

For me, it would be an easy choice for the LWB (best of class).

+1. Shell develops big rolling creases that look fine on casual shoes but are out of place with bals, which should be sleek and smooth. Better to stick with good quality calf for bals.

11. HEPennypacker

+1. Shell develops big rolling creases that look fine on casual shoes but are out of place with bals, which should be sleek and smooth. Better to stick with good quality calf for bals.

Interesting point. I hadn't really thought about the creasing.

12. rebel222

rebel222 Senior member

They are on different lasts. For me, the decision would be based on which fits better.

13. cioni2k

cioni2k Senior member

Longwings all day baby

14. HEPennypacker

Well I just came back from the store and SF groupthink prevailed [​IMG]. But seriously, I tried on both the longwing and the balmoral, and the longwing did fit better because I'm a 13.5/14, and the 13D Barrie last had a bit more room. They really were quite comfortable, in fact. I was tempted to wear them out the store, but I did not want to disrespect my AE Park Avenues [​IMG].

Thanks to all for the advice. Now to keep any eye out for loose stitching...