• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alden and Allen Edmonds Experts and Familiars HELP!!

bigstickz26

Reaction score
There is a pair of Aldens on the Plaza last that I want to buy, but I am not familiar with their lasts and cannot get to a brick and mortar. I've done a fair amount of searching around on this forum as well as other Internet resources, but I'm still hesitant to pull the trigger because of sizing uncertainty.

I am pretty familiar with Allen Edmonds lasts, mostly the "0" and the "8" lasts (Manhattan and Delray respectively). I wear a 10D in both, but the Manhattan fits like a glove. I think this is because the ball of the foot starts slightly closer to the heel, Â and because the outside of the toe box has a more agressive cut inward than the "8" last. But the "8" still fits very well.Â

I read the Alden Plaza last is about a 1/4 size larger than tts. Looking at a plaza lasted shoe from above (theshoemart.com) it appears that it has an earlier ball-of-the-foot as well as a more agressive toe cut, the way an AE "0" last does.

Does anyone have experience with both?
Should I get a 9.5 or a 10?!?! HELP!
Thanks in advance.Â
 Â

TonyThe Tailor

Reaction score
The Plaza has a generous toebox, but not too oversized. I would say it fits closer to the AE 8 last than the 0 last. Order both sizes and return the one that doesn't fit.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TonyThe Tailor
Order both sizes and return the one that doesn't fit.

6gfo7m.jpg

- B

bigstickz26

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
6gfo7m.jpg

- B

This thread is for Alden not AE. I don't know how I never thought of that, but now that I did, I don't have $500 extra laying around to tie up for a week or two. Thanks for the help. /s

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigstickz26
This thread is for Alden not AE. I don't know how I never thought of that, but now that I did, I don't have $500 extra laying around to tie up for a week or two. Thanks for the help. /s

Having $500 tied up in shoes one might return is (1) totally AE, even if the shoes are Aldens and (2) could be a good hedge investment considering how stocks are doing.

Knowledge of both topics lies there for the taking here on various sub-forvms of teh StyleForvm.

- B

bigstickz26

Reaction score
Glad the sarcasm wasn't lost on you... I made this thread because I need help. I have searched and cannot find what I am looking for. I have seen you all over this forum, and in numerous AE threads, and I'm sure you have the knoweledge to help me make a sound decision. If you don't want to actually help me, please refrain from making fun of me or my topic and don't even waste your time posting.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I have seen you all over this forum, and in numerous AE threads, and I'm sure you have the knoweledge to help me make a sound decision.

If you are able to return the Aldens, get the 10, try them, and replace them with the 9.5 if the fit is too big.

If you are not able to return the Aldens, and are uncertain about the sizing, do not buy them until you actually do have a chance to try them on unless you are budget insensitive.

If you are buying from the ShoeMart, they have a generous return policy on shoes that are tried on but unworn.

I say these things because if you are very particular about shoe fit, and you are buying RTW shoes, the only solution is to try them on first.

In fact, for RTW of any kind, it is part of the process to try things on and make decisions in real time.

If you cannot do that because you do not have access to a store, an authorized on-line retailer, or a gray market/used item seller who will not reliably accept returns, do not buy the shoes, jacket, suit or whatever.

- B

QuestForReason

Reaction score
Glad the sarcasm wasn't lost on you... I made this thread because I need help. I have searched and cannot find what I am looking for. I have seen you all over this forum, and in numerous AE threads, and I'm sure you have the knoweledge to help me make a sound decision. If you don't want to actually help me, please refrain from making fun of me or my topic and don't even waste your time posting.

I assume you are talking to that Vox guy. I just put him on ignore, I've never seen him post anything worth reading.

Just click on his profile, and click on the link that says ignore this person.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
There is a pair of Aldens on the Plaza last that I want to buy, but I am not familiar with their lasts and cannot get to a brick and mortar. I've done a fair amount of searching around on this forum as well as other Internet resources, but I'm still hesitant to pull the trigger because of sizing uncertainty.

I am pretty familiar with Allen Edmonds lasts, mostly the "0" and the "8" lasts (Manhattan and Delray respectively). I wear a 10D in both, but the Manhattan fits like a glove. I think this is because the ball of the foot starts slightly closer to the heel, Â and because the outside of the toe box has a more agressive cut inward than the "8" last. But the "8" still fits very well.Â

I read the Alden Plaza last is about a 1/4 size larger than tts. Looking at a plaza lasted shoe from above (theshoemart.com) it appears that it has an earlier ball-of-the-foot as well as a more agressive toe cut, the way an AE "0" last does.

Does anyone have experience with both?
Should I get a 9.5 or a 10?!?! HELP!
Thanks in advance.Â
 Â

i wear a 10D in 0 and 8 lasts and wear a 10D in the plaza (but it was on a boot) so i would assume you should go same. but not really sure.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by QuestForReason
I assume you are talking to that Vox guy. I just put him on ignore, I've never seen him post anything worth reading.

Woah. Just, woah.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
Woah. Just, woah.

Amen
worship.gif

Valid question: has anyone had trouble with customs when ordering seconds into Canada? AE's should be duty free given their Made In USA declaration.

- B

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A new signature for Vox?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by porcelain monkey
A new signature for Vox?
Goon member doesn't do "sigs." Do you reccomend that I add it to my autoreply roster? - B

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
If you are able to return the Aldens, get the 10, try them, and replace them with the 9.5 if the fit is too big.

If you are not able to return the Aldens, and are uncertain about the sizing, do not buy them until you actually do have a chance to try them on unless you are budget insensitive.

If you are buying from the ShoeMart, they have a generous return policy on shoes that are tried on but unworn.

I say these things because if you are very particular about shoe fit, and you are buying RTW shoes, the only solution is to try them on first.

In fact, for RTW of any kind, it is part of the process to try things on and make decisions in real time.

If you cannot do that because you do not have access to a store, an authorized on-line retailer, or a gray market/used item seller who will not reliably accept returns, do not buy the shoes, jacket, suit or whatever.

- B

great post. just highlighted the essentials ...do not... put vox on ignore.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads