• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. Passus shoes was founded by long term members of the forum and veterans of the shoes business. and is dedicated to crafting fine shoes in Budapest in a time honored tradition. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new affiliate vendor thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Alden and Allen Edmonds Experts and Familiars HELP!!

bigstickz26

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2008
Messages
55
Reaction score
0
There is a pair of Aldens on the Plaza last that I want to buy, but I am not familiar with their lasts and cannot get to a brick and mortar. I've done a fair amount of searching around on this forum as well as other Internet resources, but I'm still hesitant to pull the trigger because of sizing uncertainty.

I am pretty familiar with Allen Edmonds lasts, mostly the "0" and the "8" lasts (Manhattan and Delray respectively). I wear a 10D in both, but the Manhattan fits like a glove. I think this is because the ball of the foot starts slightly closer to the heel, Â and because the outside of the toe box has a more agressive cut inward than the "8" last. But the "8" still fits very well.Â

I read the Alden Plaza last is about a 1/4 size larger than tts. Looking at a plaza lasted shoe from above (theshoemart.com) it appears that it has an earlier ball-of-the-foot as well as a more agressive toe cut, the way an AE "0" last does.

Does anyone have experience with both?
Should I get a 9.5 or a 10?!?! HELP!
Thanks in advance.Â
 Â
 

TonyThe Tailor

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2006
Messages
470
Reaction score
7
The Plaza has a generous toebox, but not too oversized. I would say it fits closer to the AE 8 last than the 0 last. Order both sizes and return the one that doesn't fit.
 

bigstickz26

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2008
Messages
55
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by voxsartoria



- B


This thread is for Alden not AE. I don't know how I never thought of that, but now that I did, I don't have $500 extra laying around to tie up for a week or two. Thanks for the help. /s
 

voxsartoria

Goon member
Joined
Jan 18, 2007
Messages
25,756
Reaction score
158
Originally Posted by bigstickz26
This thread is for Alden not AE. I don't know how I never thought of that, but now that I did, I don't have $500 extra laying around to tie up for a week or two. Thanks for the help. /s

Having $500 tied up in shoes one might return is (1) totally AE, even if the shoes are Aldens and (2) could be a good hedge investment considering how stocks are doing.

Knowledge of both topics lies there for the taking here on various sub-forvms of teh StyleForvm.


- B
 

bigstickz26

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2008
Messages
55
Reaction score
0
Glad the sarcasm wasn't lost on you... I made this thread because I need help. I have searched and cannot find what I am looking for. I have seen you all over this forum, and in numerous AE threads, and I'm sure you have the knoweledge to help me make a sound decision. If you don't want to actually help me, please refrain from making fun of me or my topic and don't even waste your time posting.
 

voxsartoria

Goon member
Joined
Jan 18, 2007
Messages
25,756
Reaction score
158
Originally Posted by bigstickz26
I have seen you all over this forum, and in numerous AE threads, and I'm sure you have the knoweledge to help me make a sound decision.

If you are able to return the Aldens, get the 10, try them, and replace them with the 9.5 if the fit is too big.

If you are not able to return the Aldens, and are uncertain about the sizing, do not buy them until you actually do have a chance to try them on unless you are budget insensitive.

If you are buying from the ShoeMart, they have a generous return policy on shoes that are tried on but unworn.

I say these things because if you are very particular about shoe fit, and you are buying RTW shoes, the only solution is to try them on first.

In fact, for RTW of any kind, it is part of the process to try things on and make decisions in real time.

If you cannot do that because you do not have access to a store, an authorized on-line retailer, or a gray market/used item seller who will not reliably accept returns, do not buy the shoes, jacket, suit or whatever.


- B
 

QuestForReason

Active Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2009
Messages
26
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by bigstickz26
Glad the sarcasm wasn't lost on you... I made this thread because I need help. I have searched and cannot find what I am looking for. I have seen you all over this forum, and in numerous AE threads, and I'm sure you have the knoweledge to help me make a sound decision. If you don't want to actually help me, please refrain from making fun of me or my topic and don't even waste your time posting.

I assume you are talking to that Vox guy. I just put him on ignore, I've never seen him post anything worth reading.

Just click on his profile, and click on the link that says ignore this person.
 

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Joined
Apr 15, 2006
Messages
22,224
Reaction score
26
Originally Posted by bigstickz26
There is a pair of Aldens on the Plaza last that I want to buy, but I am not familiar with their lasts and cannot get to a brick and mortar. I've done a fair amount of searching around on this forum as well as other Internet resources, but I'm still hesitant to pull the trigger because of sizing uncertainty.

I am pretty familiar with Allen Edmonds lasts, mostly the "0" and the "8" lasts (Manhattan and Delray respectively). I wear a 10D in both, but the Manhattan fits like a glove. I think this is because the ball of the foot starts slightly closer to the heel, Â and because the outside of the toe box has a more agressive cut inward than the "8" last. But the "8" still fits very well.Â

I read the Alden Plaza last is about a 1/4 size larger than tts. Looking at a plaza lasted shoe from above (theshoemart.com) it appears that it has an earlier ball-of-the-foot as well as a more agressive toe cut, the way an AE "0" last does.

Does anyone have experience with both?
Should I get a 9.5 or a 10?!?! HELP!
Thanks in advance.Â
 Â


i wear a 10D in 0 and 8 lasts and wear a 10D in the plaza (but it was on a boot) so i would assume you should go same. but not really sure.
 

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2007
Messages
7,343
Reaction score
12
Originally Posted by QuestForReason
I assume you are talking to that Vox guy. I just put him on ignore, I've never seen him post anything worth reading.

Just click on his profile, and click on the link that says ignore this person.


Woah. Just, woah.
 

voxsartoria

Goon member
Joined
Jan 18, 2007
Messages
25,756
Reaction score
158
Originally Posted by bigbris1
Woah. Just, woah.

Originally Posted by QuestForReason
Amen


Valid question: has anyone had trouble with customs when ordering seconds into Canada? AE's should be duty free given their Made In USA declaration.


- B
 

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 13, 2008
Messages
1,820
Reaction score
24
Originally Posted by QuestForReason
I assume you are talking to that Vox guy. I just put him on ignore, I've never seen him post anything worth reading.

Just click on his profile, and click on the link that says ignore this person.


A new signature for Vox?
 

voxsartoria

Goon member
Joined
Jan 18, 2007
Messages
25,756
Reaction score
158
Originally Posted by porcelain monkey
A new signature for Vox?
Goon member doesn't do "sigs." Do you reccomend that I add it to my autoreply roster? - B
 

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Apr 19, 2006
Messages
12,391
Reaction score
247
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
If you are able to return the Aldens, get the 10, try them, and replace them with the 9.5 if the fit is too big.

If you are not able to return the Aldens, and are uncertain about the sizing, do not buy them until you actually do have a chance to try them on unless you are budget insensitive.

If you are buying from the ShoeMart, they have a generous return policy on shoes that are tried on but unworn.

I say these things because if you are very particular about shoe fit, and you are buying RTW shoes, the only solution is to try them on first.

In fact, for RTW of any kind, it is part of the process to try things on and make decisions in real time.

If you cannot do that because you do not have access to a store, an authorized on-line retailer, or a gray market/used item seller who will not reliably accept returns, do not buy the shoes, jacket, suit or whatever.


- B


great post. just highlighted the essentials ...do not... put vox on ignore.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

  • I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

  • I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

  • I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

  • Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
438,427
Messages
9,447,770
Members
197,987
Latest member
Noguchiaq90w
Top