• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alden alternatives, Pennys, Shoe Mart

feabt6

Reaction score
I really hate to beat a dead horse on the Alden cordo topic (yes, pun intended), but curious to see the consensus on the Alden Cape Cod line. In a perfect world, I would get the Alden LHS's in cordovan, but alas since the recession has done to my bank account what Tom Brady has done to the rest of the league the past few weeks, $600 on a pair of cordovan loafers will have to wait until I at least hit my 30s or find a job with a bonus (neither happening for 5 years). Regardless, I'm looking for a good pair of loafers for the office. Live in the city (and am a bigger guy) so going to need something with a decent amount of support, like steel shank etc. Not that I will be wearing them TO the office, but definitely do my share of walking around outside in them also. Curious to hear the thoughts on the Cape Cod Beefrolls. I like the look and the price is decent in the 2 - and - change range. Also, not sure I'm sold on the vamp of the LHSs. I think I would like something with a little longer of a vamp to cover more of the instep, but it could just be the pics I'm seeing don't do the shoes justice (and maybe because of sizing also - I wear a 13 so I would think it may not be much of an issue, just think there might be a visual paradox there). From what I've gathered on SF, I think what I'm referring to may be what is referred to as an "English" style loafer. Please confirm or deny... In addition (I'm a big fan of addendum, waiters have a tough time with me) - I like the look of the C&J Hahvahds in cordovan as well, although I would prefer a lined variety (as I understand the BB version is unlined as well.) To sum up: 1. Thoughts on the Cape Cod Aldens as a cheaper alternative to the LHS #8s? 2. Thoughts on the penny loafer vamp (in general)? 3. C&J Harvards? Thoughts? Any good pictures? 4. Also - I've read the Shoe Mart in Norwalk CT also carries Alden seconds - as I travel to New England often, would it be worth it to make a pit stop there to see what kind of pricing they have for Aldens? HUGE fan of the loafers - would also be open to all types of good quality suggestions as alternatives. FWIW - If I could design a pair, and it might be tough to picture mentally, but I'd get some LHSs with this leather and stitching combo seen on these Indys: http://www.leathersoulhawaii.com/201...mate-indy-lsw/ The Midnight Antique from the Edward Green line would look good (IMO) http://www.leathersoulhawaii.com/200...night-antique/ Just tossin it out there Thanks -

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wait for a loafer to go on sale at brooks brothers. look for a price of about $199.

you definitely don't need shell if you are on a budget.

ZON_JR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No one needs shell. Buy nice Alden or BB calf; look as good, last as long.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the Cape Cod Beefrolls and like them for knocking around on weekends. If you can wear a shoe like that to your office do it. The LHS will require you to step up the rest of your wardrobe by comparison so if you're on a budget it may complicate things beyond the initial purchase price. There is also this...http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/i...entPage=family

txeconomist

Reaction score
I agree with the posters above. If you aren’t looking for brown shell/calfskin, then Id go with the Alden for BB calf or suede loafers. For my money, I like them better than my C&J or Alden shell loafers.
Loafer2.jpg
Loafer1.jpg

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Very nice collection.
However, the Bostonian shoe trees look like they might be too big.

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by txeconomist
I agree with the posters above. If you aren't looking for brown shell/calfskin, then Id go with the Alden for BB calf or suede loafers. For my money, I like them better than my C&J or Alden shell loafers.

Loafer2.jpg

Loafer1.jpg

Can you ID each shoe and make? Great stuff

txeconomist

Reaction score
Sure no problem. The last 3 are all the penny loafers that I would recommend purchasing on a "˜budget' given they can be grabbed on-sale for about $250 or less.

Ralph Lauren - Dark Brown Cordovan Darlton Penny Loafer (Crockett & Jones)
Brooks Brothers - Cordovan Unlined Penny Loafer (ALDEN-Van Last)
Brooks Brothers - Tan Hand Sewn Penny Loafer (ALDEN-not sure what last)
Brooks Brothers - Black Hand Sewn Penny Loafer (ALDEN-not sure what last)
Brooks Brothers - Brown Hand Sewn Suede Penny Loafer (ALDEN-not sure what last)

To the poster that thought that the Bostonian shoe trees were too big, why so? Do you think the trees look like they are pulling too hard on the backs of the shoes? I purchased size Med (Size 8-10 I think) for my size 9.5-10 shoes. I had first bought the Large, (10-12 I think) and they were definitely too big. I was afraid that if I had gone any smaller then they wouldn't even be worth having. The trees in the
Darltons are probably too small.

feabt6

Reaction score
TXeconomist - I'm noticing a larger vamp on the Rl Darlton than on the Aldens, I think this is look I'm looking for. Hopefully I'll be able to find something a little less than a mortgage pmnt though (but kudos on your choice).

Suede loafers are starting to grow on me a bit too, although I'm not convinced on the look for lace-ups.

txeconomist

Reaction score
The Darltons may have a larger vamp compared to the #8 Aldens directly next to the C&Js but it may also be that the C&Js are 10s and the #8 Aldens are 9.5s.

Regards.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I love the Alden loafers, but none come remotely close to fitting me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads