• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alden 986 v. Alden for Brooks Brothers loafer

Morgan

Reaction score
I've searched and found plenty of discussions of Alden vs. Alden for Brooks Brothers, but I haven't been able to find an answer to one specific question regarding sizing. As you may know, certain Alden lasts run a half size big, including the Van last on which Alden makes its Leisure Handsewn Moccasin (model 986). I am a pretty standard-shape size 9D, and I take an 8.5B/D in the Alden LHS. Would I be an 8.5D in the analogous unlined BB loafer, or does BB label its sizes "truer" so that I would take a 9D? Does anyone own both the Alden 986 and the BB loafer who can help me out here?

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Morgan
I've searched and found plenty of discussions of Alden vs. Alden for Brooks Brothers, but I haven't been able to find an answer to one specific question regarding sizing. As you may know, certain Alden lasts run a half size big, including the Van last on which Alden makes its Leisure Handsewn Moccasin (model 986). I am a pretty standard-shape size 9D, and I take an 8.5B/D in the Alden LHS. Would I be an 8.5D in the analogous unlined BB loafer, or does BB label its sizes "truer" so that I would take a 9D? Does anyone own both the Alden 986 and the BB loafer who can help me out here?

I too have been wondering about this. I have owned the 986s and I am getting a pair of BB unlined in the mail over the next few days. Although I will not have the two side-by-side to compare, I may be able to recall the fit of the Alden and compare it to the BB unlined.

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Although I haven't tried a pair I would assume the BB LHS should fit the same but maybe slightly larger since it's unlined?

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have both and there is no difference.

I was always under the impression that the "unlined" refer to lack of a second layer, but was told by the salesperson at San Francisco Alden that it refers to lack of "structure" at the toe/vamp area.

Tano

Reaction score
digging up an old thread...

Can anyone else confirm that Alden and "Alden for BB" run the same size for all loafers?

I know the full strap cordovan loafer is on the Aberdeen last at Alden, would it be the exact same last/size for BB?

Reaction score
For the full-strap loafer, the two are identical.

I go down half a size in that shoe because it is a loafer and I don't want it slipping around on my foot. I take my regular size in Aberdeen tie shoes.

The LHS at Brooks is unlined. The Alden version is lined. That can cause differences in fit.

mr chorizo

Reaction score
this is my first pair of Alden's and I just ordered up a pair of 986 in 11c, but am now experiencing the cordovan jitters and am unsure if i have the right size and if I should exchange before wearing outside. where should one's toe hit in relation to the stitching? right now, the end of my big toe hits right at the stitch coming across the toe vamp. for reference, my socked foot measures about 11 1/2 inches long and 4 1/4 inches wide.

as i gingerly walk around on my carpet, there is a little heel slipping but i know that changes as they break in. I guess the heart of my question is about the width, do you fine gentlemen think the above measurements justify a C in this case?

mjphillips

Reaction score
Not sure if this helps, but I recently bought a pair of the cognac Brooks Bros tassel loafers (made by Alden) at the recent sale - they fit roughly the same as my other pair of Aldens, a black cap toe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads