• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alden 405 (Indy boot) vs. Alden/Orvis (Lindbergh boot)--need help deciding.

Tremont 974

Reaction score
I have been looking for a casual boot for both city and country wear. I like both the Indy boot and the Alden (for Orvis) Lindbergh aviator boot (pictures below). I am having trouble deciding between the two styles. I just received the Alden/Orvis boot and the leather is "oiled nubuck"; I do not know how durable it will be compared to the calfskin Indy boot. Which do you prefer? Do you know anything about the durability of oiled nubuck and how you care for them? Both have the rubber/cork sole and are on the Trubalance last. With discount, I paid approx. $230 for the Alden/Orvis and the Indy boot is approx. $330. Thanks for your help.

Alden/Orvis boot:

P1010006.jpg

P1010008.jpg

Indy Boot:

405-t.jpg

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm glad you asked this. I have a pair of these coming from Orvis this week. How did you get it down to $230??? I got them at $259 which I thought was pretty good. Oh well, I'm not even sure they are going to fit but I'm hoping.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
the indy boot looks miles better to me but YMMV

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I prefer the Indy boot by a long shot.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have not been that impressed with the Indy boot.

Your Lindberg Aviator looks exactly like the Indy, all without the stitching on the toebox area. It's even on the same last (True balance).

I actually prefer the Red Wings Gentleman Traveller in black cherry. It is also about $100 less than the Indy. My boots are only to be worn with straight-legged khakis and jeans. Check out my pictorial comparison of the Indy vs. the GT in the streetwear section.

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find the Indy boot's raised stitch apron to be a bit more stylish

Tom at Leather Soul has Cordovan versions (for a lot more) or a better built version of the Indy boot for a bit over $400.

I would spend the extra money on Tom's versions...naturally if he still has stock left in your size

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106

Your Lindberg Aviator looks exactly like the Indy, all without the stitching on the toebox area. It's even on the same last (True balance).

I actually prefer the Red Wings Gentleman Traveller in black cherry. It is also about $100 less than the Indy. My boots are only to be worn with straight-legged khakis and jeans. Check out my pictorial comparison of the Indy vs. the GT in the streetwear section.

I agree. I'm not a fan of the black cherry color, but I really like the look of the Red Wings Gentleman Traveler.

Tremont 974

Reaction score
Originally Posted by slide13
I'm glad you asked this. I have a pair of these coming from Orvis this week. How did you get it down to $230??? I got them at $259 which I thought was pretty good. Oh well, I'm not even sure they are going to fit but I'm hoping.

Thanks--regarding the coupon: I had placed an order for a different item the prior week, Orvis canceled because it was out of stock and they sent me a coupon.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never been a huge fan of the white contrast toe stitching on the Indys. They are fine shoes but I have never felt compelled to buy a pair.

On the other hand, the Orvis look like a pair of Timberlands.

In this match I would prefer the Indy

Tremont 974

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106

Great thread on the streetwear section--it grew considerably after I last looked at it. I like the Red Wing Gentleman Traveler (and the J. Crew Red Wing boot as well). I prefer the sole and the color of the Alden choices, but it was close.

Tom's cordovan offerings are spectacular, but I have reached the limit of my Alden cordovan quota and am looking for something in calf. The main concern I have with the Orvis boot is durability--anyone have experience with the care and feeding of oiled nubuck?

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the GTs a lot but I wish they came in a nice brown color. Black is nice, but I hate the Black Cherry. Just too purple/red for my taste (and yeah, I've seen them in person). If the GT came in a nice brown I'd probably order a pair.

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are a couple of pics of my boots that arrived today. Fit is great! I had some 11.5 Indy boots before and they felt too narrow in the forefoot. These are much better in that regard, not sure why since they are the same last.

They don't have that nicely worn in look that the Orvis pictures have...but still, I think with a little use (and maybe a touch of abuse) they should break in nicely. Still not sure what best to treat them with, especially if I want a more weathered look rather that keeping them the way they are. Any ideas?

dsc2101bn9.jpg

dsc2105wi3.jpg

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I decided the standard nubuck look wasn't quite what I wanted. I really like the more mottled, oily look the boots had on the Orvis website. So....I did what everything said I shouldn't and took some Obenauf's to the Nubuck. Here are the results-
dsc2108yp0.jpg
I'm actually quite pleased. They have a lot of little highlighting and shading going on, and a more utilitarian look to them now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads