• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alcoholic?

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
So I've got a friend (yes, really) and for as long as I've known, they regularly drink...

You should know:
1. I have NEVER ever seen the friend drunk or out of control, it simply never happens.
2. The friend drinks usually 1-2 glases of wine or hard alcohol, which doesn't seem like much but it's consistently, like almost every day. Sometimes it's more like 2-3 in a night. Typically comes home from work and has a drink or two and has done so for years and years.
3. At social gatherings, the friend is always offering others drinks (pours generously) before they've even had a chance to settle in.

Is this alcoholism?
(I realize things could be worse, I'm just worried I'm the only one noticing the regularity.)

Thanks, opinions and advice are really appreciated on this one (ie try not to be an asshole, this is a sensistive topic)

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It isn't always easy to tell if someone is an alcoholic. One person can drink a lot and not be and the other can drink very little and be an alcoholic. It has more to do with how the person deals with the drinking and how that person feels when they drink. Science has pretty much concluded that it has to do with the person's brain chemistry and uses the term "addictive personality" to describe the person who has a definite urge to drink, gamble, snort, etc. more. It becomes an irresistible drive. I'd advise talking to some experts and then asking their advice as to how to approach your friend. Of course, that depends on your goal. What exactly do you want to accomplish? Intervention? Other help? Avoidance?

FlyingLotus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would say drinking a few glasses of hard liquor every night is alcoholism

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
So I've got a friend (yes, really) and for as long as I've known, they regularly drink...

You should know:
1. I have NEVER ever seen the friend drunk or out of control, it simply never happens.
2. The friend drinks usually 1-2 glases of wine or hard alcohol, which doesn't seem like much but it's consistently, like almost every day. Sometimes it's more like 2-3 in a night. Typically comes home from work and has a drink or two and has done so for years and years.
3. At social gatherings, the friend is always offering others drinks (pours generously) before they've even had a chance to settle in.

Is this alcoholism?
(I realize things could be worse, I'm just worried I'm the only one noticing the regularity.)

Thanks, opinions and advice are really appreciated on this one (ie try not to be an asshole, this is a sensistive topic)

It may not be the healthiest thing to consume that amount of alcohol on a regular basis, but you don't provide enough information to make any sort of determination regarding alcoholism. A commonly accepted test for alcoholism is (1) when I drink can I always control the amount I drink, and (2) given sufficient reason, can I abstain from drinking. Other classic symptoms of alcoholism are blackouts, withdrawals after stopping drinking, etc. As someone else mentioned, a lot of it has to do with the effect alcohol produces for the person. Commonly alcoholics don't drink to feel the buzz that most social drinkers feel, they drink to feel normal. They don't feel comfortable when they are not drinking.

I am a recovered alcoholic and know tons of them obviously, and I have never met one who consumed so little alcohol as your friend and who didn't have a lot of problems related to drinking. I have a lot of friends who drink a helluva lot more than your friend and they are not alcoholics. Heavy and abusive drinkers are not always alcoholics.

That's a pretty short and vague answer to your question. You may consider checking out www.soberrecovery.com for more info. There are tons of questions over there about what may or may not be alcoholism.

Good luck.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that often what is perceived in the US as excessive or inappropriate consumption is in Europe seen as nothing out of the ordinary.
I usually have a couple of glasses of red with dinner. Maybe a digestive before beddy-byes...
At the FIAT subsidiary I work at three or four days a week - an engineering company where heavy machinery is used and agricultural equipment is test driven - they served wine with lunch, until two years ago. My work there started after the unfortunate decision to cease this civilised habit was taken.
frown.gif

MrGimpy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1-3 glasses a day? He may be an alcoholic or he may be European.

I wouldn't be too worried about that amount.

Shakermaker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FlyingLotus

You don't know any alcoholics I assume. A couple of glasses a night is nothing.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FlyingLotus

thank you, I just realised that I'm an alcoholic by your definition....

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I lately I have been having a drink or two after work. It may be wine, hard liquor or beer. sometimes I will take a drink with me to bed. I swear, I am not an alcoholic. I don't feel compelled to drink, it just makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Drinking is one of life's greatest pleasures.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whether or not you're an alcoholic depends on how drinking interferes with other aspects of your life i.e. work, family... not the amount you drink.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
Whether or not you're an alcoholic depends on how drinking interferes with other aspects of your life i.e. work, family... not the amount you drink.

+1.

you can be a functioning alchy. I can drink a few glasses of wine a night or 4-6 beers and be totally fine the next day. It never gets to the point where I miss work. Of course on weekends, thats another story...

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72

What if my work, family and friends nearly expect me to drink? It doesnt interfere with my life whatsoever, other than that I have to take the taxi a bit more often..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads