Alcohol as a means of removing scent (sportscoat)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by agitator, Jan 28, 2014.

1. agitator

agitator New Member

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a rather nice 90/10 wool-cashmere blend sportscoat. As it happens the first time I donned it I was giving a presentation at the company that I work for, I was nervous and started sweating. Upon removing the jacket I realized that some of my BO had been transferred to the jackets armpit area. After airing it for a couple of hours the smell was still there.

I googled for an hour and found that clear vodka in a spray bottle applied to the inner lining of the arms of the jacket was something that people had used with success. I tried this and found it worked quite well.

I'm now worried that I got the fibers too saturated so what I would like to ask is if the vodka will cause any harm to the fibers in the jacket? Most hits on google tell me that the alcohol dissipates but I found this one post about alcohol containing fermented sugar that would eventually crystallize and cause irreparable harm to the fibers coupled with brownish sugar stains.

Thanks in advance.

2. GBR

GBR Senior member

Have it dry cleaned and attend to your hygiene problem to prevent recurrence. Shave your pits and use anti-perspirant.

Harsh though it sounds that should resolve your problems.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014

3. agitator

agitator New Member

Thank you for the reply. I obviously use anti-perspirant and don't normally have any issues. I am also having it dry-cleaned.

What I need to know is whether the alcohol i applied to the jacket will do any harm.

4. GBR

GBR Senior member

The point of the dry cleaning was to remove any residual alcohol though I would not worry about harm - how often to people spill drinks and find some disaster later befalls the jacket? Waste of alcohol is the usual concern!

5. agitator

agitator New Member

Ah, I must have slightly misinterpreted. That does make me feel better, I really enjoy the jacket and so might have exaggerated my concerns.

6. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

If nothing else, this method will definitely solidify your reputation as the sweaty drunk.