• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alby Italian Ties...your take?

nighttrain7404

Reaction score
I have over 20 of these ties. They're made in Italy(hand made if I'm not mistaken) http://www.alby.it/ They are VERY well made and have a nice solid feel/build quality to them. I've owned, armani, harry/sons, hickey freeman, zegna, boss, etc... But these Alby ties are the most consistent in their design/build quality. They retail for about 100/tie...but pop up at discount stores on rare occassions and I snap them up when they do. Has anyone else had experiences w/these ties?

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are very nice for the money. Marshalls/TJ Maxx seems to have them often for $20. I picked one up for my uncle for Christmas - the silk is fine, and has a good heft.

nighttrain7404

Reaction score
Originally Posted by VersaceMan
They are very nice for the money. Marshalls/TJ Maxx seems to have them often for $20. I picked one up for my uncle for Christmas - the silk is fine, and has a good heft.

I don't think they have anymore at the Marshalls/TJ Maxx's in California, because I probably bought them all =)

nighttrain7404

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
There was just a thread on these over at AA. I like 'em.

Hey Doc, so how do these compare/rate to other comparable italian brands?

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nighttrain7404
Hey Doc, so how do these compare/rate to other comparable italian brands?

They are comparable to Altea (who makes RL Purple Label ties IIRC).

Also I'd say they are similar in quality to Tino Cosma, and maybe some of the $120ish Zegna ties.

nighttrain7404

Reaction score
They are comparable to Altea (who makes RL Purple Label ties IIRC).

Also I'd say they are similar in quality to Tino Cosma, and maybe some of the $120ish Zegna ties.

Hey Versaceman...what would you say are the more high end ties?

Brioni for suits, Ed Green/Alden for shoes, and what would be for ties?

nighttrain7404

Reaction score
So would Alby ties be considered high end or mid range?

JR_Rider

Reaction score
I don't think they have anymore at the Marshalls/TJ Maxx's in California, because I probably bought them all =)

There are plenty of Alby ties here on the east coast at Marshall's and TJ Maxx. I really like them but the prices at these discount stores continues to rise. I remember they used to be $14.99 then $16.99 and now the ones I see are $19.99. That is still a good price for the ties, but I usually wait until they go on sale and get them for even less.

nighttrain7404

Reaction score
SO how different would Anna Matuozzo's Ties be in comparison to Alby?

How significantly better...

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey Versaceman...what would you say are the more high end ties?

Kiton, Carlo Franco, S.T. Dupont, Charvet, Drake's, Stefano Ricci, Bvlgari, Borrelli, and Attolini all make high quality ties. There are many other top makers, this is only a sampling.

nighttrain7404

Reaction score
Kiton, Carlo Franco, S.T. Dupont, Charvet, Drake's, Stefano Ricci, Bvlgari, Borrelli, and Attolini all make high quality ties. There are many other top makers, this is only a sampling.

Is the difference in quality w/these designers night/day w/the Alby tie per say?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Alby ties are pretty decent. Other ties have better construction and feel, and IMO tie a better knot.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is the difference in quality w/these designers night/day w/the Alby tie per say?
There is a difference in that the more expensive makers may use better silk, and also the construction may be double 4-fold or seven fold. The difference is not night/day in the way that a Nautica tie would look distinctly cheaper than a Drakes. However, I have seen some Alby ties that, with the labels removed, could be mistaken for ties retailing at $160 or so.

nighttrain7404

Reaction score
There is a difference in that the more expensive makers may use better silk, and also the construction may be double 4-fold or seven fold. The difference is not night/day in the way that a Nautica tie would look distinctly cheaper than a Drakes.

However, I have seen some Alby ties that, with the labels removed, could be mistaken for ties retailing at $160 or so.

That's all I needed to know. Thanks you guys for your input!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads