Albam Clothing

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by JohnnyLaw, Sep 17, 2009.

1. enigma77

enigma77 Senior member

Yeah they mark things full price and don't mark as a "gift" which is how you normally avoid customs charges... Would also be interested to know their American stockist. No clues on their website.

2. jet

jet Persian Bro

^I think south willard may be picking them up soon though not sure.

I already emailed them for measurements before I made the post guys, wanted to get input from those who own some.

3. baba booey

baba booey Senior member

I just received word back from Albam, no U.S. stockists.

4. ahjota

ahjota Senior member

I'm glad to see they finally have the lightweight merino knits in size 0. I have a size 1 merino crew from last year that has held up rather nicely as a beater -- I just wish it were a bit smaller.

EDIT: It also does really nicely in the washing machine, delicate wash inside a pillowcase.

5. jet

jet Persian Bro

The knits are still made by stevenage from what I hear.

6. Biggen

Biggen Senior member

The knits are still made by stevenage from what I hear.

That's true, got a shawl collar cardigan when I was in London in october and it was made by them.

7. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

8. jet

jet Persian Bro

this is what happens when you buy chinese

very sad, unbelievable

9. CEE88

CEE88 Senior member

It looks like the Stevenage Knitting co. has shut down. The Winter Irwin Shawl from Albam was the final piece produced by them which is quite [​IMG] There's an article about it here... http://manufactureandindustry.blogsp...one-of_18.html
    Thanks for the tip on that informative blog.

Albam has several knit items listed as Made in England -- do you know if the Winter Irwin Shawl is the only one made by Stevenage?

10. baba booey

baba booey Senior member

Thanks for the tip on that informative blog.

Albam has several knit items listed as Made in England -- do you know if the Winter Irwin Shawl is the only one made by Stevenage?

I do know the chunky zip cardigan is also made by Stevenage.

11. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

I'm almost positive that the Irwin Shawl and Chunky Zip Cardigan are the only one's made by Stevenage Knitting.

12. CEE88

CEE88 Senior member

I'm almost positive that the Irwin Shawl and Chunky Zip Cardigan are the only one's made by Stevenage Knitting.
    You're correct -- I confirmed it with Albam -- those are the only two sweaters from Stevenage Knitting.

Chunky Zip

[​IMG]

Irwin Shawl (which I just ordered)

[​IMG]

Alban also carries a scarf, knitted by Stevenage (which I wish I had ordered)

[​IMG]

Background info: "Stevenage Knitting Co. ltd. was established in 1926 and has been run by the same family since 1948. Initially they started making schoolwear and clothing for the military, but have since developed a full collection of knitwear for men and women. A strong-team of 20 employees produce the collection today." http://www.selectism.com/news/2010/1...neck-sweaters/

Cudos to Albam for sourcing its merchandise from such great 'oldschool' English knitting mills as Stevenage.

13. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

CEE88 - I literally can't believe it! You just ordered the Irwin Shawl in a size 3 right? I noticed it yesterday and was going to order it today [​IMG]. I guess that teaches me a lesson - I'm getting punished for not ordering things quickly enough... F**K. If you don't like it (which I highly doubt) or it's not what you imagined, I'll take it off your hands.

14. CEE88

CEE88 Senior member

CEE88 - I literally can't believe it! You just ordered the Irwin Shawl in a size 3 right? I noticed it yesterday and was going to order it today [​IMG]. I guess that teaches me a lesson - I'm getting punished for not ordering things quickly enough... F**K. If you don't like it (which I highly doubt) or it's not what you imagined, I'll take it off your hands.
    Opps - sorry. I ordered the size 3 right before I posted the above info. Almost got the scarf too. I've been thinking about it all week.

May I make a recommendation? Check out these cardigans: http://store.archivalclothing.com/pr...an-multi-weave and http://store.archivalclothing.com/pr...ardigan-solids They're woven for Archival Clothing in Centralia, Washington (Centralia Knitting Mills) and they're awesome. The wool comes from New England.

I got the solid navy and liked it so much I picked up a black-grey-navy multi-weave. The reason I waited on the Albam/Stevenage cardi is because I was (still am) concerned it won't make it into the rotation because of these two amazing cardi's. But I'll work it out.

AC's blog is worth reading too (if you scroll to prior months you 'll find photos of various people wearing the cardigans).

15. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

Thanks for the info. I'm still depressed that I waited and missed out though haha. Seriously, if you ever get bored of that cardi, let me know!