• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Albaladejo Shoes Coming to Washington, DC

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First Edward Green, now... Albaladejo. This is a (another) great development for those of us in DC. Albaladejo is a Spanish maker that makes some of the world's best men's shoe. Sky Valet will solely be carrying their cordovan shoes, at least in the beginning. However, the entire line will be available to order. As with Edward Green, Sky Valet will be the only store in the DC metro area carrying Albaladejo. I saw the 10 or so sample pairs of shoes they had in the shop today -- not a dog in the bunch. The soles are beautifully channelled. The interiors and finishing are stunning. Though cordovan, the shoes are not the heavy lugs that Alden cordovans are. The lasts are just contemporary enough too -- comparable to EG's 888 last I'd say. To give you a hint of the variety, one of the shoes on display is their famous dark green (sort of green/brownish marbled) cordovan split-toe blucher. Another was two eyelet derby with a very long vamp. Another was a classic "businessman's" wingtip with amazing intricate brogueing. ALL of them had the most amazing shine as you get from cordovan. Interestingly, the shoes are not at all heavy and seemingly inappropriate for summertime, as often seems to be the case with Alden cordovan shoes. Price is expected to be $525-$550. (Just $50-$75 more than Alden cordovan shoes. Arrival at Sky Valet of regular stock for purchase will be in about 3 months. The shoes they currently have on display are just showing off -- letting customers know what will be coming. Adam and his brother (anyone know his name?) seemed very excited about getting Albaladejo. Rightly so.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Darnit, I walked right by there today and figured I wouldn't go in since the trunk show is in another week anyway....

brescd01

Reaction score
For price/quality ratio, Albaladejo is unbelievable, though I made my calculations at Paris prices of about 400 dollars/calfskin pair with duty. They make the Edward Green women's shoes, which gives you an idea of what EG thinks of them. The maddening thing is that I keep hoping they will post an internet catalogue so I can see pictures of their models and none appears. They are a great shoe at any price, as opposed to the Alfred Sargents, which I think are a great shoe suited to my 200-300 dollar/pair sensibilities.

I hope Sky Valet's prices on calfskin will be cheaper so that I will just buy them outright rathered than be tempted to order them from Paris, which is a pain.

fkl118

Reaction score
Yes, it's too bad they really don't have an internet presence. When I was in Paris last summer, they said the full website would be up by September. Still waiting...

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good to have you back, Doc.

Spanish shoes are apparently a great value because (rumor has it) the Spanish government actually gives subsidies to the leather industry so that it can compete with Italy.

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good to have you back, Doc.  

Spanish shoes are apparently a great value because (rumor has it) the Spanish government actually gives subsidies to the leather industry so that it can compete with Italy.
Are you sure?  I thought EU try to do away with anti-competitive practices by making most government subsidies to private sector illegal.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Say, von Rothbart, how'd you end up doing at the To Boot/Kiton sale??

Ah, and looking forward to seeing more Abaladejo pics, those new lasts look nice..

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's no taker so I ended up one pair of Kiton a 2-tone windtip in dark brown. Absolutely beautiful.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kabert, did you notice what last the shoes were made on? Was it the Deia (on the website), Philadelphia 2, or Rain?

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kabert, did you notice what last the shoes were made on? Was it the Deia (on the website), Philadelphia 2, or Rain?
Of the 10 or so pairs of shoes they had, they were on four or five different lasts. That was part of the, ah, fun at Sky Valet on Saturday -- the brothers were asking for input on which lasts are most desireable. They are planning to stock shoes in just three of the available lasts (though all will be available for order); hence the need to make their selection now.

I'm afraid I don't know the names of the lasts, although I thought all were pleasing to the eye. Of the ones displayed, I'd say a couple were comparable to the EG 202; a couple were comparable to the EG 808 or 888. One of them, now that I think about it, which I think they plan to get, has slightly squared off toe in the Cleverley style. Very nice. Interestingly, one of the lace-up shoes they had on display had a bit of a snout, like the Vass Budapest shoe.

auto90403

Reaction score
I checked out Sky Valet on Saturday. My first time there -- thanks, Kabert, for the referral.

I ended up liking the Aldens most. Without addessing the matter of best construction or materials, I just liked how the Aldens looked.

But then I'm not surprised. I own many many pairs of Aldens and try not to let too much time pass without buying another pair. I hasve even bought a new pair becuase I'm too lazy to get ones I already own out of storage.

I think I need an intervention -- and then a 12 step program.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I checked out Sky Valet on Saturday. My first time there -- thanks, Kabert, for the referral.

I ended up liking the Aldens most. Without addessing the matter of best construction or materials, I just liked how the Aldens looked.

But then I'm not surprised. I own many many pairs of Aldens and try not to let too much time pass without buying another pair. I hasve even bought a new pair becuase I'm too lazy to get ones I already own out of storage.

I think I need an intervention -- and then a 12 step program.
You're welcome.

I think Aldens are probably Sky Valet's "bread and butter." I imagine they sell a steady number of Aldens, day in and day out, regardless of the season or the stock market. Not surprisingly, they devote more store space to Aldens than any other brand.

By the way, I too used to consider Alden to be my highest and best brand. Then, a couple years ago, I discovered Edward Green. I still love my Aldens, but they're just not quite as special anymore compared to Edward Green, Vass, C&J, Grenson Masterpiece, Weston, etc.

auto90403

Reaction score
i won't defend Aldens as the best shoes or even close to the best.

but i think of thier shoes looking like what i want a shoe to look like. especially when it comes to loafers.

the other brands you mention just look a bit "off" to me -- as though they're less pleasing to my eye. just my opinion.

i recently moved back to DC -- i'll be spending more time -- and money -- as sky valet. good shop.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads