• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Alan Flusser" at SteinMart

TintinATL

Reaction score
Went to a SteinMart for the first (and likely last) time this afternoon. The place is drearier than a Marshalls.

Imagine my surprise to come across a LOT of clothing with the brand label "Alan Flusser." It was actually the best stuff in the store, although that is NOT saying much. I thought it might be a different Flusser, but there was a display with an homage to the man and several copies of "Dressing the Man." I got the impression the line was exclusive to SteinMart.

I don't fault anyone for making a buck, but I must say I was surprised to see his name there.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As I understand the story, he has close personal ties with the family that owns SteinMart, hence the connection. It does seem like an odd match-up. As I once remarked in Andyland years ago, I doubt if one out of a thousand typical "mart" shoppers has the remotest idea who Alan Flusser might be.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
As I understand the story, he has close personal ties with the family that owns SteinMart, hence the connection. It does seem like an odd match-up. As I once remarked in Andyland years ago, I doubt if one out of a thousand typical "mart" shoppers has the remotest idea who Alan Flusser might be.
Probably the reverse is also true, only a tiny fraction of his regular customers have any idea what Steinmart is. Ive known about this licensing deal for some time and still i do not know what a Steinmart is or where it is located, and I think I am the better for it. It's all about the benjamins...

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the SteinMart nearest to me is up in La Habra, about 15 miles of urban driving from me. Were it closer, I'd check it out. I seem to remember someone posting that they actually had ascots for sale at one, which seems much more Flusserian than mart-like. I would rather doubt if any other "mart"-type store since these emporia came into existence (whenever that may have been) has ever sold a single ascot!

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
i do not know what a Steinmart is or where it is located, and I think I am the better for it.

A Steinmart is . . . curiously interesting.

I've been to several, bought a few of their cheap flimsy ties, some colorful preppy Made in USA socks, and a copy of Flusser's book, and listened to a few of their investor conference calls.

Most of the men's stuff is discounted old man golf wear (I mean that in the kindest way). Occasionally they will have a club collar or tab collar shirt for sale. They do sell a few classicly styled ties for about $15 each. Sometimes have good socks. They are publicly traded but you can't buy merchandise online. On a conference call they said they try and locate retail space near the best grocery store, closest to the nicest neighborhood in town. My experience bears this out. I think their target shopper is a 55-65 year old woman who shops at that grocery store, who is either buying a few shirts for her husband or has drug him along with her.

They also have a corner of golf related office crap too. Like the snow globe with a golf ball in it, framed prints to hang on your wall, framed photos of Ben Hogan and Payne Stewart, golf books, golfy paperweights, umbrellas, etc. Occasionally I've seen straw boaters for sell. An ascot would not surprise me.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmmm...I see they've got a store in Huntington Beach, which is no great distance from me. I'll have to check it out and maybe pick up a bargain ascot. If they are "old man" oriented, I should fit in just fine.
frown.gif

indy116

Reaction score
I've been in a SteinMart once and wasn't too impressed. All of the brands had similar logos or names to more mainstream brands. Felt like a store of knockoffs to me.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually my favorite tie is from there. Seersucker tie. I'll post a pic later on.

They march to their own beat. How you can be a retail chain without selling online, in 2008, is beyond me. . .

http://www.steinmart.com/website.nsf/webpages/Men I would say they have stolen many of JC Penny's customers. They are aimed at the mall department stores, but in a convienient, off-mall location. Rent is probably cheaper that way too.

I haven't paid attention to brands much, but I have seen a lot of Tommy Hilfiger and Alexander Julian department-store level merchandise there. Not sure about Polo (haven't been in a while). This is mixed in with their Alan Flusser and "T.Harris" store-brands. It's not a store aimed at SF, but leagues ahead of Menswearhouse for, I guess, the same money.

TintinATL

Reaction score
Yes, lots of Polo, Lauren, Alexander Julian, Calvin Klein, Geoffrey Beene, Van Heusen... plus a ton of other "off" brands that were not familiar to me.

Bob Loblaw

Reaction score
I encountered a "Cash a Mere" scarf made from man-fade fiber.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would anyone give two ***** of interest if I went there tonight, took photos, and posted them in this thread?

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by crazyquik
Would anyone give two ***** of interest if I went there tonight, took photos, and posted them in this thread?

Knock yourself out. Any chance your cat will be in the pics?

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJmanbearpig
Knock yourself out. Any chance your cat will be in the pics?

Maybe I will put on my Ray-Bans, put my leash on Bailey, and use him as a "Seeing Eye Cat"
devil.gif
I guess I would need a stick too though.

blindmanscanes.jpg

Not very iGentrified.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
Hmmm...I see they've got a store in Huntington Beach, which is no great distance from me. I'll have to check it out and maybe pick up a bargain ascot. If they are "old man" oriented, I should fit in just fine.
frown.gif

You're too stylish for SteinMart, Jan. And I'm not saying that to flatter you but to save you the trip.

Originally Posted by crazyquik
I haven't paid attention to brands much, but I have seen a lot of Tommy Hilfiger and Alexander Julian department-store level merchandise there. Not sure about Polo (haven't been in a while). This is mixed in with their Alan Flusser and "T.Harris" store-brands. It's not a store aimed at SF, but leagues ahead of Menswearhouse for, I guess, the same money.

The Polo stuff is almost invariably the lower-end department store merch. Never seen anything from Ralph there that was not made in Micronesia or a third-world country. Now and then there's a decent item discounted enough to make it worthwhile, but you have to dig. In my experience, the effort required outweighs the infrequent rewards.

I love bargain hunting, but SteinMart doesn't make it into my regular rounds. It's like Marshall's, only with less potential. But I do agree that it's superior to Men's Wearhouse, for the wives of guys who just don't care.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads