• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alan Flusser and Scent of a Woman

GMF

Reaction score
I watched Scent of a Woman tonight and was struck by the Glen Plaid 3pc suit Alan Flusser did for Al Pacino's character. It had cuffs unlike any I've seen on a suit before. The working cuffs fasten together in the same manner as French cuffs do on a shirt.

If you were to ask for this style cuff on a MTM/bespoke suit, what would you ask for?

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
I think you're mistaking a sleeve pressed flat for that. Even if it is, I don't think it'd look good.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you referring to a cuffed sleeve (on the jacket)? It's a dandy-ish touch. Flusser did it for Gekko too.

GMF

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whoopee
Are you referring to a cuffed sleeve (on the jacket)? It's a dandy-ish touch. Flusser did it for Gekko too.

I guess so. With a normal working cuff on a jacket sleeve, the buttons are fastened and work in the same manner as they do on shirt cuffs that button. On the Flusser suits that Al Pacino wore in the movie, the cuff goes together the way a French Cuff does with the buttons sewn to the opposite side from where they would normally be. Is this a Flusser hallmark the way a half lining is for Oxxford? I have an Alan Flusser suit and the working cuffs are the typical type.

I didn't notice this on Michael Douglas's suits in Wall Street. Guess I'll have to watch that movie again and be more observant.
lookaround.gif

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That sounds pretty cool. Were his shirt cuffs button or French?

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Por una cabeza de un noble potrillo
que justo en la raya afloja al llegar
y que al regresar parece decir:
no olvides, hermano,
vos sabes, no hay que jugar...

Por una cabeza, metejon de un dia,
de aquella coqueta y risueña mujer
que al jurar sonriendo,
el amor que esta mintiendo
quema en una hoguera todo mi querer.

Por una cabeza
todas las locuras
su boca que besa
borra la tristeza,
calma la amargura.

Por una cabeza
si ella me olvida
que importa perderme,
mil veces la vida
para que vivir...

Cuantos desengaños, por una cabeza,
yo jure mil veces no vuelvo a insistir
pero si un mirar me hiere al pasar,
su boca de fuego, otra vez, quiero besar.

Basta de carreras, se acabo la timba,
un final reñido yo no vuelvo a ver,
pero si algun pingo llega a ser fija el domingo,
yo me juego entero, que le voy a hacer.

Jon.

GMF

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
That sounds pretty cool. Were his shirt cuffs button or French?

He wore French Cuffs with the Glen Plaid suit. I didn't notice with the pinstripe number he had on at the end. I was busy trying to see if the jacket cuffs were different.
wink.gif

di Robilant

Reaction score
Coat (or, if you will, jacket) cuffs, such as those sported by Gekko in Wall Street, are known in the UK as 'bishop's cuffs' . In Italy - although less common - they are known as 'maniche [sleeves] alla moschettiera [musketeer-style] . They are 'fake', in the sense that a piece of fabric is added and sewn into the sleeve-end . If the sleeve is made with working button-holes, the bishop's cuff resembles a french (or, double-) cuff with rounded edges, but with sufficient space for a row of buttons .

I didn't notice a bishop's cuff on Al Pacino's Prince of Wales check (or, if you will, glen plaid) number, but I DID NOTICE that Al's suit fitted him properly - nay, beautifully . Did anyone notice that Gekko's suit - the one with the cuffs - was 'flying' off the back of his neck? Check it out : it's a disgrace! I did however LOVE the DB blazer he wore at his house party .

Duveen

Reaction score
Can we get a picture - this is all I can find and it doesn't show detail. Anyone feel like doing a screen cap?

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Argh! Stop using ImageShack, everyone. The popup ads are thoroughly annoying.

Duveen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jovan
Argh! Stop using ImageShack, everyone. The popup ads are thoroughly annoying.

Agree that they are annoying. What is a better webhosting source that is easy to use?

Duveen

Reaction score
Also - does anyone have a better pic than the one I found? C'mon and work with me, people...

GMF

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Duveen
Also - does anyone have a better pic than the one I found? C'mon and work with me, people...

I'll try to take some caps from the DVD tomorrow and post them tomorrow night. Promise.
smile.gif

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Duveen
Agree that they are annoying. What is a better webhosting source that is easy to use?
www.photobucket.com Doesn't have a thumbnail feature, but it's pretty easy to use and free.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads